Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 AM

563 posts, read 1,499,005 times

Advertisements

I've taken claritin a few times over the past 4 years or so, and I still question whether I'm sick, or it is allergies. I think I'm having allergies as of lately, but being a couple months pregnant, I don't want to unnecessarily take it. (I took Claritin during my last pregnancy for about a month, about this same time of year even with the consent of my doctor and it made a huge difference)
For a few days I feel like my nose, or I guess sinuses, are draining into my throat, and this morning I had such a sore throat I felt like I couldn't talk. My nose only clogs up during the night. After getting up today, I actually ended up over the toilet. Nothing really came up, but I was able to finally blow my nose after, and what came out actually had some blood in it.
Because the sore throat is merely a side effect of my nose draining, I'm pretty sure this is allergies, but I really want a second opinion.
My nose isn't running, my eyes aren't watering. This is my only problem. If my throat didn't hurt so bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:39 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Try using a neti pot (Dr. Oz recommended it on his show, as did Oprah). I use a baby syringe with saline solution. There are plenty of directions you can google for about the neti pot. I just squirt saline up my nose until I feel it in my throat. Lean over the sink of course. If you do this before bedtime and any other time you feel stopped up or "draining", it might help keep you nose clearer. Can't help you about what it is but many issues end up with same symptoms.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
^^^ exactly

You should watch for other symptoms. I assumed twice I had allergies but both times I was incorrect

I cant stand perfumes, air fresheners etc, but it's migraines what I get not allergies.

Also one time I had throat problems similar to yours, I even lost my voice for days and it was acid reflux.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
If it only happens at night and you wake up with a sore throat, you could have just a very common, simple case of mouth-breathing and post nasal drip, caused by nothing in particular.

I'd rule that out first, before even trying to seek a diagnosis or medicating. Try this:

1. Change your pillow to a firm neck-contour pillow, to support your neck for side-sleeping -and- to give you a divot for your face to fit in if you end up sleeping on your stomach.

2. Get a small box of Breathe-Right strips (I think it's 10 strips for $5.00, don't get the store brand or any other brand to save money - get the real deal). Apply one just before bed to a -dry- nose (I've found that moisturizer makes them peel off in the middle of the night so you'll need to swipe your nostrils with toner and let it dry completely if you moisturized after washing up for bed.

The breathe-rights let you breathe through your nose, which encourages your facial muscles to relax, which promotes nose-breathing rather than mouth-breathing, which can help prevent a dry throat when you wake up.

The contour pillow positions your jaw such that it's easier to close your mouth when you're sleeping.

If these two things don't improve your situation, that's when I'd seek medical attention. But if they do improve the situation, then that's really all you'll need to do.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Have you lived in New Mexico for a long time?
I used to live in Santa Fe and i worked in a nutrition store and the allergies that people suffered from were often really intense.
There was a constant stream of people coming in looking for natural solutions to their allergies and many of those people, btw, had moved to N.M. thinking that the desert would give them relief from allergies that they'd suffered in more lush areas of the country but often they found that they had even worse allergies to the organics in the desert.
But now, it's winter ... not the time for allergies there is it?
Also, i spend a lot of time in a high desert / mountain area of Idaho and at night, my sinuses suffer from the extremely dry air.
A good humidifier might give you some relief.
Nose bleeding and nose / sinus irritation is common in really dry areas.
I don't think mold and/or mildew would be an issue for you in New Mexico would it?
But do you have new carpets and/or new paint or just a very new house with a lot of new materials that could be off-gassing and causing some problems for you?
Also, do you leave a window open to get some fresh air in the room at night?
That actually helps me when i'm in really dry Idaho.
Often it's necessary to leave the heat on at night up there as it get's extremely cold (much, much colder than N.M.) and pipes freezing is an issue and heat at night really exacerbates any sinus issue that i may have.
The fresh air, though dry as well, helps a lot.
Those are just some thoughts ... maybe relevant to you.
Good luck.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:30 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Your sinuses don't drain when you are laying down sleeping. This is why you wake up feeling the way you do and why your throat hurts. You may find relief taking Claritin only when you sleep and time it so that you are already awake for an hour or two before it wears off. If you can find some way to prop your head up when you sleep it might help too but it is hard to do. My sinuses don't drain properly and when I'm sleeping its at its worst. A good decongestant and an anti inflamatory such as Tylenol may help too.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:48 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Your sinuses don't drain when you are laying down sleeping. This is why you wake up feeling the way you do and why your throat hurts. You may find relief taking Claritin only when you sleep and time it so that you are already awake for an hour or two before it wears off. If you can find some way to prop your head up when you sleep it might help too but it is hard to do. My sinuses don't drain properly and when I'm sleeping its at its worst. A good decongestant and an anti inflamatory such as Tylenol may help too.
Minimizing (ideally eliminating) her drug use seems to be important since she is pregnant and Tylenol (which may have slight anti-inflammatory effects but is not classified as an anti-inflammatory) is so toxic and so bad for the liver and there are natural anti-inflammatory's that are actually effective and that treat the cause of the inflammation and do not cause side effects.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:44 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Have you been to an allergist? Testing for allergies might be in order.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
I've taken claritin a few times over the past 4 years or so, and I still question whether I'm sick, or it is allergies. I think I'm having allergies as of lately, but being a couple months pregnant, I don't want to unnecessarily take it. (I took Claritin during my last pregnancy for about a month, about this same time of year even with the consent of my doctor and it made a huge difference)
For a few days I feel like my nose, or I guess sinuses, are draining into my throat, and this morning I had such a sore throat I felt like I couldn't talk. My nose only clogs up during the night. After getting up today, I actually ended up over the toilet. Nothing really came up, but I was able to finally blow my nose after, and what came out actually had some blood in it.
Because the sore throat is merely a side effect of my nose draining, I'm pretty sure this is allergies, but I really want a second opinion.
My nose isn't running, my eyes aren't watering. This is my only problem. If my throat didn't hurt so bad...
Just being pregnant causes nasal congestion. Hormone changes cause blood vessels everywhere to dilate, including those in the nasal passages. It gets worse when you lie down, because that further increases pressure in the tiny veins and capillaries.

See here:

Vasomotor Rhinitis - September 15, 2005 - American Family Physician

"PREGNANT WOMEN
Symptoms of rhinitis can increase during pregnancy. This increase is thought to be caused by progesterone- and estrogen-induced glandular secretion, augmented by nasal vascular pooling from vasodilation and increased blood volume.20 Vasomotor rhinitis in pregnancy responds well to intranasal saline instillation.20 Potential risks versus benefits should be considered in the use of FDA-approved topical anticholinergics (pregnancy category B), topical antihistamines (pregnancy category C), and topical corticosteroids (pregnancy category C). Topical decongestants (pregnancy category C) can provide good short-term relief. Exercise appropriate for physical condition and gestational age also may reduce symptoms."

Topical medications as a rule minimize exposure to the fetus, because the amount that gets into the blood is relatively small.

Oral antihistamines do not seem to work very well for this condition.

The treatment is really the same, whether it is allergy induced or rhinitis of pregnancy. If the symptoms resolve after the baby is born (and congratulations, by the way ), you are done. If not, then see an allergist to determine what you are allergic to and how to deal with it.

The approach to try first is elevation of your head at night, which improves the blood vessel congestion, and humidification of the bedroom, since we are in the dry winter months. You may need to experiment to figure out the best way to elevate your head.. People tend to slide off of pillows. You may want to prop up the entire head of the bed on some thick books (old telephone books work well, if you have any.) Or you can use blocks of wood. Aim for about six inches. It feels peculiar at first, but you get used to it.

Saline can be applied however you prefer. You can make your own (but boil the water you use to sterilize it first), use a neti pot or a commercial spray.

Exercise, even just simple walking, appears to help.

Spray decongestants can cause rebound congestion if they are used frequently, but they can be used on a short term basis. If you use one, choose Afrin or its generic. Afrin is pregnancy Category C, primarily because it has not been deliberately tested in pregnancy. Class C does not mean a medication is contraindicated during pregnancy.

Oxymetazoline nasal Use During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding | Drugs.com

If your baby is healthy and there are no concerns about how well the placenta is working, small doses of Afrin should be OK, but discuss it with your doctor.

Topical antihistamines and corticosteroids are also class C, and anticholinergics are class B, meaning they are probably safe during pregnancy. One anticholinergic is Atrovent.

If the saline, elevation of your head, and humidification and exercise do not work, ask your doctor about the topical medications. They do need a prescription.

Once the congestion improves, so should the sore throat, since it is most likely due to mouth breathing.

The nasal strips that AnonChick suggested are an inexpensive thing to try, too. My DH uses them every night.

If you have acid reflux, common in pregnancy and also worse when you lie down, elevating your head should help with it. If you have daytime heartburn, ask your doctor about treatment. There are medications that are safe to use in pregnancy.

None of these medications should harm your baby if used in the right doses. You are not doing your baby any good if you are miserable, which elevates stress hormones. Your doctor will be glad to answer any questions you have about treatment of your symptoms.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
The drip is nuisance. Drink room temperature water when you get up. It will dislodge the mucus so you spit it out. I believe it is Nasal Ayr that is a water mist without salt. It freshens the nose. Nasal Ayr gel keeps the nose moist. Each coses less than $2.50. Elevate your head. The mucous can make your throat sore. Change your air filters in your furnace every two weeks. I use the 3M that TRAPS all over .03 Microns: smoke, allergens, mold spores, pet dander, dust, virus, bacteria and more. The filters cost about $25 each. It is the best investment I ever made. It works. May spouse had two lung diseases and lived 3-years past the prognosis because of the filters and the fact I changed them every two weeks.

Very often I heard raspy breathing and coughing about the time the filters were due to be changed. It stopped the day the filters were changed. It worked very well for over six years. I don't know if it would have the same benefits in other areas of the United States.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-19-2011 at 11:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies