Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Not only can it prove tough to avoid peanuts at a Major League Baseball stadium, it also can be dangerous for those so allergic that airborne peanut residue causes intense reactions. But just because fans can’t always embrace peanuts doesn’t mean they don’t want to indulge in a little baseball.

There are enough peanut-fearing, baseball-loving fans out there that teams have started to host peanut-free seating zones on specific days of the schedule. To clear the air of the offending legume, crews completely clean out suites and invite fans who have requested the service, also offering them a peanut-free menu to snack from.

Read more: Don't Buy Me Peanuts or Cracker Jack: Baseball Stadiums Offer Allergy-Friendly Seats | NewsFeed | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Where did all these peanut allergies come from all of a sudden? I don't remember hearing anything about peanut allergies as a kid...kids with food allergies were rare, almost freakish. Now it seems like every kid has some kind of disorder, disease, allergy, or disability.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Where did all these peanut allergies come from all of a sudden? I don't remember hearing anything about peanut allergies as a kid...kids with food allergies were rare, almost freakish. Now it seems like every kid has some kind of disorder, disease, allergy, or disability.
I agree. I think a lot of it is trumped up for attention on the parent's part.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 AM

Have Americans Gone Nuts Over Nut Allergies? - TIME

Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Let's blame it on anti-bacterial soaps and stuff!

Really, that stuff is unnecessary and bad for you....and folks are so afraid of any germ, virus or dirt, that they avoid ANYTHING that might trigger their immune system to work. Bad idea. The less your immune system has to do, the more likely it is to attack yourself...or a peanut you might eat...or milk you might drink...or whatever!!!

Back in the day (yes....30 years ago or so...) folks ate everything...few were "allergic" to anything...and everyone got by. Same with this "autism" thing...sure, there are some kids who have real deficiencies, but most are fine....it's the parenting that is to blame! Fidgity kids? Mine tried...I wouldn't allow it....sit still and read. Kids who can't "focus"? Where are the parents? Are they helping their children "focus" and study? I don't think so! Kids who bounce off the walls...scream in the store or restaurant...act up in school......not the kids...it's the parent's reaction to the kid's behavior. JMO!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I firmly believe that a little dirt keeps your immune system on it's metaphorical toes. Research actually supports that but I can't cite studies now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-09-2012 at 10:30 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I firmly believe that a little dirt keeps your immune system on it's metaphorical toes. Research actually supports that but I can't cite studies now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Try polio---why did the "dirty" kids not seem to get it as much as the "clean" kids? Exactly what the AP said. Polio is carried via fecal matter. A small amount in the intestines actually produces antibodies. However, a kid who is kept "too clean" never encounters the polio virus. If they contract it all of a sudden, their body had no defenses.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-09-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Let's blame it on anti-bacterial soaps and stuff!

Really, that stuff is unnecessary and bad for you....and folks are so afraid of any germ, virus or dirt, that they avoid ANYTHING that might trigger their immune system to work. Bad idea. The less your immune system has to do, the more likely it is to attack yourself...or a peanut you might eat...or milk you might drink...or whatever!!!

Back in the day (yes....30 years ago or so...) folks ate everything...few were "allergic" to anything...and everyone got by. Same with this "autism" thing...sure, there are some kids who have real deficiencies, but most are fine....it's the parenting that is to blame! Fidgity kids? Mine tried...I wouldn't allow it....sit still and read. Kids who can't "focus"? Where are the parents? Are they helping their children "focus" and study? I don't think so! Kids who bounce off the walls...scream in the store or restaurant...act up in school......not the kids...it's the parent's reaction to the kid's behavior. JMO!

Part of it is the school system nowdays. When I was in school, it was the students' job to stay focused, not the teacher's job to "redirect" them. I observed a 1st grade class and was appalled. Every time the kids got in the least bit fidgety, the teacher would say ok, time for a break! lets all stand and stretch, run (yes run!), around the room, etc. Then, back to "work". what that teacher failed to realize was, the class was controlling her. SHE should be teaching THEM how to sit still and listen and learn. Instead, its the other way around. The kids controlled her! Kids aren't stupid, especially when it comes to figuring out adults and getting their way.

My ds was especially controlling. I would tell people, teachers, daycare workers, etc NOT to give him the upper hand or they would never get it back. But, no one listened to me. Instead, the more he tried to control, the more they literally rolled over for it. Ok, teacher, if that's how you want to spend your days, giving in to a spoiled brat----and NO, I didn't spoil him, but that's another story I just don't feel like getting into!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I agree. I think a lot of it is trumped up for attention on the parent's part.
When a person has a physical reaction to a particular food you feel that it's for attention?

Old 04-10-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
When a person has a physical reaction to a particular food you feel that it's for attention?
Honestly, I don't know what it is - but years ago, you never heard of peanut allergies, now they are the most prevalent and deadly thing known to mankind and just the hint of ever touching a peanut shell can cause someone to croak on the spot. Why would that be?

People drank filthy water out of hoses coated with lead (apparently - never knew that but now they have "lead free hoses) - if you got any water at all - surprised more people didn't drop dead due to dehydration - I never drank ANY liquids and no one ever told me I should - now if you don't have a case of bottled water per week, you are in danger of dehydration.

The parents of the afflicted children I have witnessed make a huge production out of the allergies - if it is that dangerous to send your kid to school, I personally would home school rather than expect every other kid to cater to your kid's special needs - but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies