Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:20 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,626 times

Advertisements

While everyone's reaction to allergens is different, there are some places known to be awful for allergies and some places known to be nearly trouble-free for allergies. What would you say are some of the areas known for being friendly toward people with allergies and some of the areas known for being terrible for people with allergies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 12:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
I really think it depends on what you are alergic to, not so much where you live, but yes, some areas are worse. I never had alergies until about 10 years ago, if thatlong. My experiece has been: when we lived in NM my alergies were much worse than here. I looked and felt like death warmed over from late Feb (the beginning of Juniper season) until about the middle of April. Then I was fine: here I don't look or feel as bad, but the alergy season lasts from March to about Oct for me. Which is better or worse, who knows?

Old 07-14-2012, 12:34 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
The worst place is in the mountains of TN, NC and SC. We're on the south of the Great Smokies and we suffer tremendously. And here it doesn't matter what you're allergic to, we've got it all.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:57 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,626 times
Thanks for the responses so far. I grew up in New Jersey and used to have a wicked ragweed allergy, but that has subsided over the years (perhaps thanks to the six years of allergy shots). I'm in Texas now and have no trouble despite the complaints of others, but my wife, an Ohio native, said she never had allergies until she came here. I've seen that in action... when we go back to the Northeast, she's fine... down here, she relies on nasal spray and allergy pills to be able to sleep.

Are there any specific climate conditions that trigger allergy issues? One would think that a humid Northeastern climate and a relatively dry Southern climate would be different enough to make a huge difference in allergies, but it only serves that purpose for some people.

What areas seem to have few allergy sufferers?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:58 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
Texas is in a drought right now. We are too; when it doesn't rain the pollen doesn't get washed away. I always notice a difference when a good rain comes our way especially in the spring.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:40 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,179,423 times
Coastal Georgia. All the different kinds of oaks, pines, cypresses, and a zillion other kinds of trees, nuts, weeds, and more weeds, grasses and marsh growth. And then, if all the tree, weed, flower and grass stuff wasn't enough, you have to worry about the mold and mildew that the high humidty encourages.

It''s not easy to breathe in high humidity with respertory problems.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:15 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
There are no best or worse places. Wherever there are plants, bugs, rain, sunshine, molds, food, people, etc etc there are allergens. It all depends on your system wherever you are. You may be super allergic in one part of the country and not at all in another area. Or one thing bothers you in one area but the same thing won't in another.
Your best bet in any location is to have a local allergist doctor test you for whatever is ailing you for that area.

The only place that I had zero allergy problems was way far out in the ocean where the air is pure.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:31 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,985 times
As far as places I have lived, Dallas, Texas was the worst. They say it's a combination of the type of plants and the wind factor. Dallas is one of the top windiest cities in the U.S.

A lot of people there have allergies that are so bad, they have to miss work. It's not uncommon for someone to move there and not have allergies for years, and then all of a sudden get them. Once that happens, they seldom go away.

Dallas has tons of doctors who specialize in treating allergies. Some people have to get shots because nothing else works.

I lucked out and didn't get them, but I came close. I don't live there anymore, but I never lived any place where I was surrounded by so many people suffering so horribly.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:15 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
I say Long Island NY, it may not be the worst but it should be on the list. I suffer all year long so I am on Zyrtec all the time. The only time it's not so bad is November-February.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:26 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,719 times
I had been on allergy shots long before I left NJ for 8 years in Tulsa, and I never had an issue. Fast forward to last August and back in NJ....my sinuses are constantly doing a dance. I am allergic to trees (oak), grass and ragweed. OH JOY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies