Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:38 PM

48,509 posts, read 34,775,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
And please be careful with the tylenol--if taken in doses even slightly above the recommended dose, it can damage the liver.
I haven't looked it up - but I'm betting one or more of his prescriptions is hard on the liver and he shouldn't be taking tylenol at all.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:08 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,598,619 times
There are a few that are very hard on the liver, but I stay in pain. And the psychologist has pointed out that my depression is actually dysphoria, which is less serious becuase dysphorics usually aren't suicidal or irritable. Part of it may be being sick, and part of it may be all the death I see. I always manage to meet people about to die, and my father and my last two step-fathers all died violently. I just can't find happiness and I'm sick on top of that. At least I grew out of the Aspergers label, which just turned out to be ADD mixed with Dysphoria. I just am looking on here for cures as being from the medical laughingstock state (Louisiana), I'm sure the answers on here would be valuable. I'm going to go back to my usual perch in the AK forums a while, then try to take a nap… school is tiring. Napping is hard as an insomniac, but I'll try.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:00 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,390,575 times
The only sensible advice that you will get on here is to visit a larger medical center, like the one in Shreveport mentioned in a previous post, to have a fresh set of eyes look at you. To be 16 years old and dealing with this is unacceptable and you are not the only one who believes this. There is help out there.

Allergies can cause a myriad of symptoms alone. For sure you are depressed as would be just about anyone who couldn't sleep and felt sick all the time. Who is watching to make sure you can combine your 60 pills a day without negative side effects? That may be part of the problem right there. And aside from sitting naked in your room and attempting to sleep or playing on the computer, what else do you do? Do you exercise, swim, hang out with friends, walk the dog? If I sit around the house all day, I will have a headache due to inactivity. Being physical lifts the spirit, helps headaches, naturally tires the body in preparation for sleep, etc.

How does your mother feel about your issues? Since you are underage, she is your advocate. I, for one, would never let my 16 year old suffer.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,305,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
There are a few that are very hard on the liver, but I stay in pain. And the psychologist has pointed out that my depression is actually dysphoria, which is less serious becuase dysphorics usually aren't suicidal or irritable. Part of it may be being sick, and part of it may be all the death I see. I always manage to meet people about to die, and my father and my last two step-fathers all died violently. I just can't find happiness and I'm sick on top of that. At least I grew out of the Aspergers label, which just turned out to be ADD mixed with Dysphoria. I just am looking on here for cures as being from the medical laughingstock state (Louisiana), I'm sure the answers on here would be valuable. I'm going to go back to my usual perch in the AK forums a while, then try to take a nap… school is tiring. Napping is hard as an insomniac, but I'll try.
I don't care if they call it dysphoria or depression (and where did you get the Prozac if no one thought you have depression?). Sleep disorders and constant exhaustion are also medical symptoms of clinical depression. I repeat my admonition that you need a full evaluation at a serious hospital. If you don't get your issues addressed and your medication straightened out, you will take these problems with you to Alaska, where you aren't any more likely to get help. I hate to sound harsh, but fantasies and naps aren't the answer to your serious problems.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 AM

95 posts, read 351,642 times
I cannot imagine a parent (or a doctor) that would stand for a 16-yr old kid taking 60 pills a day. There has to be more to this story.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:22 PM

I sometimes soak in the swimming pool later at night... late enough that all the stars are out and the pollen count is back down (I monitor it throughout the day and head out when it drops to a certain point, usually LOW). I know that this migt sound childish, but I love stars. One of two things I don't like is the fact that last year the church erected a huge cross that shines floodlights, thus halving the number of stars in my dark, country sky. I also dislike how, even with glasses or contacts, I don't get the sharp image I remember as a child (even with a good prescription).

About the prozac, when I was prescribed it at 200 mg, I didn't even have dysphoria yet. Apearently, prozac is given to somehow "compliment" the ADD meds. Back then I didn't need it, but mom gave it to me becuase the doctor insisted. I used to fight that one, but now everytime I go off I have a mood disorder, too. Back before the focalin replaced the vyvanse, I suspected the vyvanse was responsible for vision loss. I read on the package of that one that vyvanse could cause vision loss. Don't you think it is a coincidence I'd start losing my vision within a week of starting vyvanse? I didn't know this till later. Even after I switched over to focalin, it continued at a slower pace. It was several years before I complained enough that my mother looked into seeing if it may be causing issues.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:05 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,168,330 times
There are very few people that are completly pain free. You might be better off if you tried to do without some of the pain medication. Learn to endure and ignore pain. That's rough, I know, but it may the lesser of two evils. You could very well be over medicated.

Pain medication can also be hard on the stomach. It could also be making acid reflux worse.

Do you have more than one doctor?

Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM

The pain is much worse without anything at all. Couldn't even type this normally. I believe I got the MRI at the medical center.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,668,959 times
Quote:
Extreme fatigue, chronic headpain, chronic insomnia, chronic allergies, memory loss, emotional numbness, and other stuff
Yeah, it's called life.
Sorry.

With me, take out the allergies, and add intestinal issues. Also, chronic hunger, emotional swinging (from joy to depression), speech impediments, lack of social grace, stiffness in joints...and other stuff.

It'll end with death.

Enjoy.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 AM

23,851 posts, read 33,500,964 times
Quote:

I've had many headaches in various regions and in varying intensity on my head throughout my life but this one... which I dubbed "the big one" has been going on since August 2009 without end! This makes it different from headaches of the past in that they, despite being frequent, where not continuous and thus did not deserve names. This big one is so bad that when it started, I really did nothing for the first few months I had it. While conventional painkillers helped at first, but didn't make it go away. The big one is winning out here... even the hardcore amytriptylene and headache shots aren't even phasing it anymore. A brain scan that my mother sent me to go get last month partially revealed what may be at fault. As it turns out, the big one is not one, but three types of headache working together! My sinuses being chronically inflamed (more on that later!) causes the pressure and feeling of general confusion (type one: sinus), my brain blood vessels stay dilated similar to what is found in hang-overs and migraines which causes the throbbing and sensitivity to heat, light, and sound (type two: migraine... I don't drink...), and then my neck muscles stay tense from being in pain causing additional agony than is concentrated on the back of my head, but that seems to defer to the rest of my head and upper back.

Joint pain is an issue. Though normally drowned out by the big one, they still make a mark in the overall feeling of chit. If I move around too much, my arm and leg joints hurt terribly, not to mention my lumbar. I would cure the headache before the joint pains, but they'd be next.
Do you bounce when you walk? Sort of like walking more on your toes?
I actually think what's going on is related & I doubt the Drs in your state will find it.
I'll have to look to see if there are any in your state for this.
I sent you a message. I'd like to speak to you more about it.
I want to give you some links & images for you to draw the pain.

Quote:
I take three pills for ADD (focolin and two othe generic pills), two of one prescription for pain, four of tylenol, 4 ounces of allerlydocain (I lost my taste buds for some reason, so my tounge is constantly bleeding and hurting and is raw and I have complete absence of sense of taste), amytriptolyne (should help with sleep and a certain componet of the migrain part of the triple headache.), perscription nose-spray, prescription zyrtec, OTC muscenex, prescription metamuscle (it is bought OTC, but my gastroenterologist makes me take it on the grounds that since I only BM every two weeks, and when it does come, it is hard, big, and slow... and I have fissure in my anus that I lose a lot of blood from... and all of this hurts), prozac (200 mg) for extreme depression (this has the unintended side effect of rendering me completly void of all emotion... positive or negative), Thyroid medicine for poor thyroid, prescription previcid (I have hellish acid reflux), and a few others... my short term memory is going.

All of this and I'm still miserable. You can see why I hate medicine. Taking this many means I am sick to my stomach a lot to. I just want to be healthy like other people my age. Not being able to work makes me feel useless. I just dream of moving off... it might be nice to at least live where it is beutiful... rather it helps or not has become extranuos.
Quote:
There are a few that are very hard on the liver, but I stay in pain. And the psychologist has pointed out that my depression is actually dysphoria, which is less serious becuase dysphorics usually aren't suicidal or irritable. .....

At least I grew out of the Aspergers label, which just turned out to be ADD mixed with Dysphoria.
Napping is hard as an insomniac, but I'll try.
Sorry; I think you need a better Dr to find out about being grown out of Aspergers.
The insomnia can be part of that.

Quote:
About the prozac, when I was prescribed it at 200 mg, I didn't even have dysphoria yet. Apearently, prozac is given to somehow "compliment" the ADD meds. Back then I didn't need it, but mom gave it to me becuase the doctor insisted. I used to fight that one, but now everytime I go off I have a mood disorder, too. Back before the focalin replaced the vyvanse, I suspected the vyvanse was responsible for vision loss. I read on the package of that one that vyvanse could cause vision loss. Don't you think it is a coincidence I'd start losing my vision within a week of starting vyvanse? I didn't know this till later. Even after I switched over to focalin, it continued at a slower pace. It was several years before I complained enough that my mother looked into seeing if it may be causing issues.
Also- focalin side effects- please read the page- Dizziness; drowsiness; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; stomach pain; trouble sleeping.

Your nasal issues could be due to prozac-
Prozac Side Effects- Abnormal dreams; anxiety; decreased sexual desire or ability; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; flu-like symptoms (eg, fever, chills, muscle aches); flushing; increased sweating; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; runny nose; sore throat; stomach upset; trouble sleeping; weakness; yawning.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Prozac:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bizarre behavior; black or bloody stools; chest pain; confusion; decreased concentration; decreased coordination; exaggerated reflexes; excessive sweating; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; increased hunger, thirst, or urination; joint or wrist aches or pain; memory loss; new or worsening agitation, panic attacks, aggressiveness, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, restlessness, or inability to sit still; persistent or severe ringing in the ears;persistent, painful erection; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or persistent anxiety, trouble sleeping, or weakness; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or headache; significant weight loss; stomach pain; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; trouble urinating; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual or severe mental or mood changes; unusual swelling; unusual weakness; vision changes; worsening of depression
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.