Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:22 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,837 times

Advertisements

I had a twenty-six days streak without using sudafed (very good for me--something that hasn't happened in at least four years), and I am currently on my tenth day in a row without using it. There's definitely been a huge improvement since getting chemical cautery treatments and using Sinus Buster.

I'm still finding that I am sometimes quite sensitive to barometric pressure changes, even when it doesn't hit me in the sinuses. Today I crashed pretty severely after a sometimes stressful week. Tiredness, some lack of coordination, mood swings, which all came about during one of the drops in barometric pressure. Usually those symptoms are accompanied by sinus pressure, but not in this case. So the larger mystery of barometric pressure sensitivity remains; but it's good not to be getting sinus pressure, and getting the sudafed out of my system.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 01-27-2017 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 04:19 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Does anyone else suffer from this dreadful condition? I do, and I regularly endure extreme bouts of hay fever whenever the barometric pressure in the atmosphere changes. My allergic reaction is so debilitating that it puts me out for the entire day whenever it triggers. My eyes swell up, nose turns into a faucet, and the roof of my mouth itches unbelievably. I have tried a number of treatments, with varying success -- steroid injections, allergy medications, diet changes. Still, nothing has entirely worked. My only course of action to tame the flare ups is to take copious amounts of benadryl (like 200 mg).
Beware, Benadryl is an anticholinergic. It destroys acetylcholine in the brain, which cannot be renewed. This causes memory loss as you age. You can search the web about it. Search anticholinergic and see the studies about the various drugs having this effect.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:19 PM

Have only used sudafed once in February, and pollen levels have already been high at times (including deadly Juniper). Plus, there have been some low pressure systems in that time period. And it seems like I am slightly less spent by the end of the day than has been my normal for too long now. If this persists for the remainder of spring allergy season, I will probably start a separate thread on chemical cautery. I continue to be amazed that it is not a more high-profile treatment. It's not particularly unpleasant at all, especially compared to surgery, for those who have been through that. It's basically just extreme nasal irrigation. Any stinging I've experienced during the treatment has been absolutely minimal.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:06 AM

So far this year, I'm continuing to use sudafed no more than two days a month (much less often than has been the case in recent years). Chemical cautery has made a difference. My energy levels are still a problem, but there has been a little improvement in that area. At any rate, now that I don't have the awful sinus pressure so often, I'm starting to exercise slightly more (more than zero), which I'm hoping will gradually boost my energy levels.

Since vasomotor rhinitis seems challenging to treat, I think it's important for people to be aware that chemical cautery may help with it. Most of the sinus pressure I dealt with in the past few years has not appeared to be allergy-related. It's generally correlated with falling barometric pressure.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 06-04-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 09-05-2018, 06:50 PM

That big decrease in the amount of sudafed I was taking, ended the month after I made the last post to this thread.

I am still working on this. Really, the vasomotor symptoms are a much bigger problem for me than my allergies. This is a pretty good write-up on vasomotor rhinitis:

https://www.socalallergy.com/nonalle...motor-rhinitis

Old 09-05-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Beware, Benadryl is an anticholinergic. It destroys acetylcholine in the brain, which cannot be renewed. This causes memory loss as you age. You can search the web about it. Search anticholinergic and see the studies about the various drugs having this effect.
Unfortunately, a lot of the medicines recommended for vasomotor rhinitis are anticholinergics. I agree they are something to avoid.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:19 PM

I just wanted to mention I have found that neck stretches can help a tiny bit. For mild (probably non-allergic) sinus pressure, I have found doing neck stretches is on rare occasions enough to eliminate it. Most of the time it appears to make a minor contribution. Sometimes neck stretches + capsaicin nasal spray work.

I am taking some new supplements I might talk about later. I doubt they will do exactly what I want, but they seem to be making my sinuses a bit clearer. I tend to think the pressure can manifest even if there is no real trigger for it. It's an overreactiveness. Even if my nasal passages and sinuses were perfectly clear and healthy, I'm not sure it wouldn't happen.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:28 PM

Nattokinase seems to be helping (with maybe some further support provided by serrapeptase). Still early. Need to see how this holds up for me.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:54 PM

21 posts, read 18,873 times
ApartmentNomand, you've been posting about this for quite some time now. Do you feel better in other locations? Particularly, coastal, high-altitude, or desert? I understand your reservations with moving, but am curious if you've felt relief by changing locations...

Old 03-04-2019, 12:27 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
zdx-z%. flo ra and fauna did not seem to bother me like they do here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies