U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:05 PM

8,301 posts, read 2,264,154 times

Advertisements

We found mold in some areas of the house I'm about to buy.

There is a lot of talk on this thread about the price of running these machines (whether 24hrs a day or randomly) and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much, exactly, it would do to my electric bill if I am running it nonstop?

Anyone know how much (roughly) it costs to run, say, a machine that is built for 400 sq feet room?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 02:09 PM

12,934 posts, read 6,451,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
We found mold in some areas of the house I'm about to buy.

There is a lot of talk on this thread about the price of running these machines (whether 24hrs a day or randomly) and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much, exactly, it would do to my electric bill if I am running it nonstop?

Anyone know how much (roughly) it costs to run, say, a machine that is built for 400 sq feet room?
No one can. We don't know the price of electricity in your location or the specific type of air purifier you will be running. There may be different usage rates by time of day too (peak vs offpeak hours). Check the energy use for each specific purifier before buying. The operation manuals usually state it. Purifiers aren't very effective if they are only run sporadically. It takes time and consistent use for them to process all the air in a room. However, if you buy a purifier that's too small for the air space (because you want one that's cheaper to operate) it may not provide much benefit. They also tend to be more effective if the room they run in is kept closed, so may not make much of a difference in a busy common area of the house. Doors opening and closing, people tracking in and out, constant source of allergens being brought in.

Get the mold treated before you move into the house. That may make the biggest difference. If the house has been sitting unoccupied and closed up for a while that might have created conditions for the mold to grow. Once it's aired out, cooled/heated, lived in there may not be a problem. If you are concerned about the mold, get it tested or do your own air quality testing, and get it treated.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-31-2018 at 02:48 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 10:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 21,498,284 times
Yes, air purifiers do well to combat allergies --- but how well they work, especially for allergies, dust and pet dander, depends on what kind you get.

I currently have two different kinds of air purifiers (3 of one kind and 1 of another) and they use a minimum of electricity. In fact, I think my ceiling fans use more than the air purifiers do.

The best air purifier, in my experience, is the Oransi Max HEPA Air Purifier. it costs @ $480 and the 3 filters, that have to be changed out annually, cost about $100/set. After buying and disposing of 12-15 different brands over the years (because they didnt work well), I've now had these Oransi air purifiers in my bedroom, computer room and living room for the past 6-7 years. I'm still amazed at how well they work.

One air purifier that's inexpensive but works fairly well is Oregon Scientific Air Purifier. It costs only $120 and the filters are only $20. I bought one of these recently (because I like Oregon Scientific products) and have it in a second bedroom, where it's working quite well. Check its reviews below:

https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scient.../dp/B07CSKQF53

Old 10-07-2018, 09:47 PM

3,768 posts, read 5,079,495 times
Summer was fine but when we closed the windows in the lower level for fall son in law was coughing and not sleeping at all. Ran out and got a hepa air purifier and it was helping that same day. It does let off a plastic smell for the first few days. Hoping the electric bill is not going to be too high. We do have two cats and keep them out of the lower level but I think the hepa air purifier is helping with cat dander too. This one was about $170 with a two year protection plan from Walmart. Hope it doesn't break down but from reviews I have read they don't seem to last more than a couple of years.

It's going to be a long winter.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:41 PM

1,118 posts, read 453,007 times
I have been using HEPA filters since the late 1990s. They do help me.

Another benefit - I like the sound. It covers noise while I am asleep. I can't sleep without the sound after all those years...

Old 10-16-2018, 07:19 AM

23,026 posts, read 34,278,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksks View Post
You should be very careful when buying an air purifier, most of the 'consumer' brands/models are pretty ineffective.*If you want something that really works, have a look at the reviews online. Basically, you really need to spend about $1000+ to get a genuinely effective air cleaner.
That is way more than needed. Here's some options well under that price that do a great job...

https://www.allergybuyersclub.com/be...purifiers.html

Old 12-11-2018, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
Default Air Purifier

HEPA filters are a globally recognized type of high-efficiency filters. Originally used as protection for nuclear scientists, HEPA filters are now broadly used in high-tech laboratories, pharmaceutical productions, operation rooms, and other facilities where cleanliness is key. HEPA filters are made with microscopic fibers and can capture and remove extremely small particles — up to 99.97% of 0.3 micron particles. When used to purify cigarette smoke, the purification rate is as high as 100%, because cigarette particles measure 0.3 to 2.5 microns in size and cannot pass the HEPA filter. When unfolded, Solve Air’s high-efficiency HEPA filtration system is 14.5 times the size of average HEPA filters. Solve Air is the ideal choice to achieve ultra purified air.Filtration rate of up to 98.9% for PM 2.5 particles, 99.88% for E.coli bacteria, 99.97% of S. aureus bacteria

Old 10-23-2019, 01:21 AM

10 posts, read 3,406 times
I have air purifier in my bedroom, cause I care about my health. I've tried not so many purifiers, but the best one for me was purifier with humidifier option. I also can’t spend a lot of money on that kind of stuff, so I’ve chosen OPOLAR EV01 https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Evapor.../dp/B07CY2R1MK (on Amazon it’s “Currently unavailable”, but its’ cost was less than $100). I suppose it is a great deal when you consider that it is purifying the air and humidifying it at the same time. You can read the reviews on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Evapor...ustomerReviews and here https://houseweather.org/best-humidi...ombo/#product3. So I would highly recommend to buy a purifier with humidifier option

Old 10-28-2019, 12:59 AM

9 posts, read 4,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Our 8 yr old has food allergies (peanuts, tree nuts, milk and eggs) but also environmental allergies (wheat dust, mold, spores) and asthma, and we bought an IQAir HealthPro purifier and it has been very helpful for him. Before we bought it he would wake up and first thing is cough a few times, but since we have had the purifier (two years) no coughing when he wakes up. We only run it in his room and at night and it does work well for him at least. IQAir are quite costly, but ours is 2 yrs old now and never a problem. We do replace the top filter more frequently than recommended too and also replace furnance filters every 2 weeks.

--Dan
When I noticed an allergy to our parrots who lived in our house, I found information about air purifiers for pet owners. Air quality is very different (in a better way). When I asked about air purifier models, my friends advised me on the AIRMEGA 300 model

Old 10-29-2019, 03:25 PM

45 posts, read 16,042 times
Depends on home placement and inside temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies