U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2020, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Southern California
8,996 posts, read 10,163,187 times
Reputation: 10028

Advertisements

It's now Sept 2020. Anyone buy any purifiers lately, especially w/ the fires that have been in parts of the US?


I've had this for 1-2 yrs now that I keep in the main room / living room:

https://www.levoit.com/allproducts/l...a-air-purifier


And just got this & hooked it up yesterday for the bedroom:

https://www.levoit.com/allproducts/c...a-air-purifier


I guess I seem to like this LEVOIT brand. It's reasonably priced & seems to have good reviews on consumer lists.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2020, 07:21 PM
 
307 posts, read 168,196 times
Reputation: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
And just got this & hooked it up yesterday for the bedroom:

https://www.levoit.com/allproducts/c...a-air-purifier
I'd never had an air purifier before and recently bought this one also for bedroom (Levoit Core 300, about $99). I didn't want to spend a lot and didn't want something big. It got good reviews on Amazon. I like that it can sit on a table top and it's quiet. Simple to use. I run it on lowest level 1 (has 3 speeds). It has a thing to press that turns off the lights on it (good for nighttime sleeping; I keep them off) and the quiet whir sound acts like a gentle white noise machine which is a bonus for sleeping. In anticipation of fire season, I bought a second one in case I need one in another room. I've always been skeptical of whether these things work, but so far so good. If it helps even a little, I'm ahead.

It says replace filter at six months. I bought a replacement filter for it at $20, and that also seems reasonable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2020, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
18,716 posts, read 19,023,509 times
Reputation: 15700
If you really want to clean your air good, look at a bigger, more powerful unit as opposed to super fancy filters and purifying methods fitted on a dinky air-cleaner. The more air through the
air-cleaner, the cleaner your air gets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2020, 03:45 AM
 
Location: Boston
5 posts, read 1,397 times
Reputation: 20
The model of humidifiers and purifiers depends on the inner climate of your house, so I may say in my case it worked.
I have a dog living with me and I strongly needed a purifier which makes the air in whole my flat always fresh and I purchased one small for the first time. After that I realized it's easier and more practically to buy 2 huge good purifiers and install them into the biggest rooms in my house.
I think there are lots of web sources which will help you to choose the right variant for you. You may leave me a message and I will tell you about the models of purifiers I have now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2020, 06:14 PM
 
Location: on the wind
12,934 posts, read 6,451,593 times
Reputation: 42516
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If you really want to clean your air good, look at a bigger, more powerful unit as opposed to super fancy filters and purifying methods fitted on a dinky air-cleaner. The more air through the
air-cleaner, the cleaner your air gets.
This. However, a little tabletop "air purifier" that only pushes air through through one small filter (different filters catch and hold different sizes and types of airborne particles) can't remove very much. The more surface area the filter offers the more it can trap. You can convince yourself that the gadget is doing SOMETHING because it is using power and running a fan. If the filter is actually removing anything significant from the air the filter media will show it fairly quickly, especially if the surface area of the media is small. If the filter doesn't get clogged more frequently than 6 months (that's a LOT of AIR) it's not doing much of anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2020, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Southern California
8,996 posts, read 10,163,187 times
Reputation: 10028
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
I'd never had an air purifier before and recently bought this one also for bedroom (Levoit Core 300, about $99). I didn't want to spend a lot and didn't want something big. It got good reviews on Amazon. I like that it can sit on a table top and it's quiet. Simple to use. I run it on lowest level 1 (has 3 speeds). It has a thing to press that turns off the lights on it (good for nighttime sleeping; I keep them off) and the quiet whir sound acts like a gentle white noise machine which is a bonus for sleeping. In anticipation of fire season, I bought a second one in case I need one in another room. I've always been skeptical of whether these things work, but so far so good. If it helps even a little, I'm ahead.

It says replace filter at six months. I bought a replacement filter for it at $20, and that also seems reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If you really want to clean your air good, look at a bigger, more powerful unit as opposed to super fancy filters and purifying methods fitted on a dinky air-cleaner. The more air through the
air-cleaner, the cleaner your air gets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaStoke32 View Post
The model of humidifiers and purifiers depends on the inner climate of your house, so I may say in my case it worked.
I have a dog living with me and I strongly needed a purifier which makes the air in whole my flat always fresh and I purchased one small for the first time. After that I realized it's easier and more practically to buy 2 huge good purifiers and install them into the biggest rooms in my house.
I think there are lots of web sources which will help you to choose the right variant for you. You may leave me a message and I will tell you about the models of purifiers I have now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
...You can convince yourself that the gadget is doing SOMETHING because it is using power and running a fan. If the filter is actually removing anything significant from the air the filter media will show it fairly quickly, especially if the surface area of the media is small. If the filter doesn't get clogged more frequently than 6 months (that's a LOT of AIR) it's not doing much of anything.

Nice wildflowers27, enjoy! I agree that I don't have BIG money to spend on a commercial type or some other big purifier. Hey if money was no object, I'd be glad to spend a lot of money!

tickyul, yes, those big, powerful units would be fabulous, but how much are they though?

That's the thing about air purifiers. I never assumed they were working. I HOPED they were. Of all the purifiers I've had throughout the years, I could never tell any difference.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2020, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
18,716 posts, read 19,023,509 times
Reputation: 15700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Nice wildflowers27, enjoy! I agree that I don't have BIG money to spend on a commercial type or some other big purifier. Hey if money was no object, I'd be glad to spend a lot of money!

tickyul, yes, those big, powerful units would be fabulous, but how much are they though?

That's the thing about air purifiers. I never assumed they were working. I HOPED they were. Of all the purifiers I've had throughout the years, I could never tell any difference.


I bought 2 of the large, barrel-style air-cleaners at thrift-stores for dirt cheap. Amazing how much air they move, doing a super job getting the air cleaned compared to the dinky units.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2020, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Boston
5 posts, read 1,397 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaStoke32 View Post
The model of humidifiers and purifiers depends on the inner climate of your house, so I may say in my case it worked.
I have a dog living with me and I strongly needed a purifier which makes the air in whole my flat always fresh and I purchased one small for the first time. After that I realized it's easier and more practically to buy 2 huge good purifiers and install them into the biggest rooms in my house.
I think there are lots of web sources which will help you to choose the right variant for you. You may leave me a message and I will tell you about the models of purifiers I have now.
I'd like to add sometimes you may also need a humidifier and a system of air conditioners. It all depends on your budget, of course, but if you need all of those it's better to buy it once, than suffer from the problems with the health because of bad air quality.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2020, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Southern California
8,996 posts, read 10,163,187 times
Reputation: 10028
Thanks for replying so far everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I bought 2 of the large, barrel-style air-cleaners at thrift-stores for dirt cheap. Amazing how much air they move, doing a super job getting the air cleaned compared to the dinky units.

What brand are they?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaStoke32 View Post
I'd like to add sometimes you may also need a humidifier and a system of air conditioners. It all depends on your budget, of course, but if you need all of those it's better to buy it once, than suffer from the problems with the health because of bad air quality.

Yes, knew about humidifiers, but depending on how moist one's air is, they risk getting mold if things are too moist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2020, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
18,716 posts, read 19,023,509 times
Reputation: 15700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks for replying so far everyone!




What brand are they?





Yes, knew about humidifiers, but depending on how moist one's air is, they risk getting mold if things are too moist.


Sorry, do not remember the brand. Even if you get a big, loud, powerful air-cleaner.......you can alway run it on low and it will be fairly quiet. Also, when you go out of the house, run it on high.

I highly recommend getting an air-cleaner with an ionizer, one that you can shut off if you are sensitive.........ionizers do a great job of getting particulate-matter out of the air.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top