Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with air purifiers to remove pollen, dust, and mold spores? I'm shopping online and have looked at a number of brands and read reviews. However, it's sometimes hard to gauge the veracity of these claims.

For instance, Alen Parelda gets a lot of online attention, but I'm not sure what's advertising and what's the truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Does anyone have experience with air purifiers to remove pollen, dust, and mold spores? I'm shopping online and have looked at a number of brands and read reviews. However, it's sometimes hard to gauge the veracity of these claims.

For instance, Alen Parelda gets a lot of online attention, but I'm not sure what's advertising and what's the truth?
Our 8 yr old has food allergies (peanuts, tree nuts, milk and eggs) but also environmental allergies (wheat dust, mold, spores) and asthma, and we bought an IQAir HealthPro purifier and it has been very helpful for him. Before we bought it he would wake up and first thing is cough a few times, but since we have had the purifier (two years) no coughing when he wakes up. We only run it in his room and at night and it does work well for him at least. IQAir are quite costly, but ours is 2 yrs old now and never a problem. We do replace the top filter more frequently than recommended too and also replace furnance filters every 2 weeks.

--Dan

Old 02-25-2014, 04:49 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
No matter how much you clean your home, you cannot rid the air completely of allergens and other airborne irritants. Air purifiers are devices that are designed to clean the air in your house and improve the quality of air you and your family breathe. Air purifiers use filters to rid the air of pollutants and allergens, like pollen, mold and pet dander. It will also clean the air from other harmful particles, odors and irritants, such as cigarette smoke.

Air purifiers that have met the strict regulations and have attained HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) certification will filter out both big and small particles; this is especially important for people who suffer from asthma, allergies or other sensitivities to air pollutants.

While air purifiers can improve the general health and sleep of those in the house, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America specifically, and the medical community in general (both of whom are debating the efficacy of air purifiers on reducing allergy symptoms), air purifiers will only help those people whose symptoms are a response to an allergy. Furthermore, the allergens causing these symptoms have to be located solely in the home environment, and in limited amounts so as to prevent overwhelming the air purifier, which can impact on its ability to completely clean the air of the allergen. In addition, the Asthma and Allergy Foundation also indicates that allergies to particles that do not remain airborne, such as dust mites, will not be relieved by air purifiers.

Consumers considering purchasing an air purifier are encouraged to buy one that has met the requirements to receive HEPA certification. Experts claim that ionic air purifiers generate negative ions and ozone. The negative ions are said to have side effects and ozone is a toxic substance; these purifiers do not receive HEPA certification.

Discovery Health "Will an air purifier help with your allergies?"

Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I used to have an expensive air purifier that I used in my bedroom for my dust allergy. It had a hepa filter and it did work really well but it used a lot of electricity and the filters were expensive to replace. I think it was made by Allermed. It worked great--but eventually I gave it up due to the cost of the replacement filters and the fact that the allergy shots kicked in and I didn't need it anymore.

Re the previous post, of course it will not remove dust mites. The only way I know of getting rid of them is to take the item (if possible) outside for about 24 hours of exposure to sub freezing temperatures and that will kill them.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 8,604 times
Hepa filters don't really get rid of the dust. I have allergies and asthma and the one I got from [mod]breand name and URL deleted[/mod]worked well.

Last edited by in_newengland; 12-23-2014 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Sorry, too new to make recommendations

Old 12-29-2014, 10:24 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
I've had the idea that supplying clean air to a sleeper would go a long way to alleviating their allergy problems. At least they would get a decent nights sleep and have a days start without the symptoms. I also reasoned that an electrostatic filter would be the bees knees. Now I'm reading that there are problems associated with them.

Does anyone produce a water spray filtration system? That would eliminate the cost of replacement filters.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:31 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
OP they help minimize the pollutants, not 100% pure clean. You need to always keep the filters changed or cleaned. Ours system works great as I clean everything every 60-90 days.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I have been using a HEPA Filter with carbon filter overlay in a Hunter room air filter located next to my bed. This is in addition to using HEPA filters in the HVAC system. Based on the amount of fibers and dust that accumulates on both of these filters I'm sure they do help, otherwise that stuff would be in the air that I'm breathing.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:57 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have been using a HEPA Filter with carbon filter overlay in a Hunter room air filter located next to my bed. This is in addition to using HEPA filters in the HVAC system. Based on the amount of fibers and dust that accumulates on both of these filters I'm sure they do help, otherwise that stuff would be in the air that I'm breathing.
Yes, they do work. Mine had a hepa filter and a carbon filter. You had to change them at regular intervals though or they didn't do the job anymore.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:36 PM

128 posts, read 242,170 times
They are not perfect, but they do help. Especially if you live an older place where pollen and mold might pass through the older windows. I have a five year old sears progressive 295 model. They work better in the bedroom than the rest of the house because you can close the door to limit the airflow. The good ones seems to have a 3 speed fan, a prefilter to capture dust, and then a hepa filter. The bigger the surface area of the hepa filter the more quickly it can clean the air. I still have allergies, but I did feel like I was getting an extra hour of sleep when I started using this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies