Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 09:00 PM

111 posts, read 218,475 times

Advertisements

I have had my fair share of coughs caused anywhere from allergies, pneumonia to even whooping cough. Yes I have had all my booster shots for whooping cough just one of those rare people who gets it even after being vaccinated as an adult.

Anyways I am having a hard time with allergies this year. In less then 2 months I have bronchitis from allergy flare ups. I am on allergy medicine but we are living in a new area so I am just not adjusted to the allergy problems here.

My cough is even worse then when I had whooping cough. I am now on tussionex which is doing nothing. The doctor has even doubled my dose to hopefully knock me out for some relief and that isn't making any difference. I actually cannot sleep when I take this medicine. It wires me like speed.

My cough is so intense that I throw up several times a day from the coughing fits and I even pass out sometimes because I cannot catch my breath. I have been to the doctor, urgent center and er. The er finally upped the dose but safety wise I cannot go any higher on the cough medicine.

I am currently using an inhaler, had steroid shots, prednisone and a new stronger antihistamine. I am living on cough drops, suckers and popsicles to try and keep my throat from being irritated. Has anyone had any luck with anything to stop a horrible cough? I am desperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:37 AM

26 posts, read 64,605 times
Have you looked into Cough Variant Asthma? You may need aggressive GERD treatment....

Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,171 times
I may be missing the point here, but will ask this anyway: Do you have post-nasal drip issues? This is what usually causes my allergic cough, and then the asthma/bronchitis issues.
Are there other antihistamines you can try? I'd keep going that route.
Have you figured out what you are actually allergic to? I say that because there are a few foods I am allergic to that will cause me to develop post-nasal drip and/or a bad cough (mostly flour-based like breads, cakes, etc).

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:25 PM

8 posts, read 11,315 times
I have a friend in the office who's coughing for almost 3months now and the sound is like a dry hacking cough. We told her to go to the doctor for a check up. And when she did, the result is an allergy. The Dr. prescribed antibiotics and anti-histamines. She's also using a nebulizer to help her breath easily. If I have dry coughs I use home remedies like steam inhalation. It moistens the airways and helps relieve a sore and irritated throat. Hope this help!

Old 05-18-2014, 02:11 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
When I get like you have described OP I use a mixture of what my grandmother used . Hot tea , honey , lemon juice and a shot of Jim Beam and it clears it right up I kid you not .yes you drink it hot and it is all mixed together in a mug or cup .

Old 05-20-2014, 07:22 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
I have allergic bronchitis. When the bronchial spasms start I panic and come very close to passing out. One thing I have learned from taking anti-histamines is that they must be taken regularily so that your system will be at it's best all the time. You have to take them BEFORE you need them.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
I went through same type of stuff earlier this year
round one w/antibiotic andprednisone, round two after I thought the first was cured but started back up was treaded with just antibiotic--thought it cleared up when third episode came on with terrific sinus drainage and coughing--
that was all from middle of February until end of April--

3rd time I went to walk in clinic since I was in FL on vacation instead of at home and got diagnosis of allergy/virus--and Xray to make sure there was no walking pneumonia
and was given prednisone and steroid inhaler--a puffer...and no antibiotics--

That finally worked but it took more than 3 weeks to get off the puffer...
the last guy said that after two rounds of antibiotics w/in two months what was bothering me wasn't bacterial--

You have my total sympathy--finding a good doctor is the real problem IMO cause all doctors just don't see the same symptoms in the same way...

I had a bad case of bronchial allergy/asthma about 10 yrs before and had horrible time getting rid of it--think that was caused actually by breathing something caustic while cleaning the shower stall--
although no doctor believe me--not my regular one or the pulmonologist I finally saw...
he gave me that medicine that is a powder but you breath it into your lungs--
terrible mistake--almost lost my voice doing that...didn't know that could be permanent side effect of using it...

Old 05-20-2014, 07:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Another thought--
are you taking any ACE inhibitors for blood pressure problems--
one ACE drug is known to cause chronic cough in some people
my SIL took it for years and had a cough (she has asthma issues too)
when one of her doctors realized she was on that bp drug and he had it changed her chronic cough went away--
she still has the asthma and does nebulizer and puffer but no more dry cough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies