U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 PM

791 posts, read 2,771,130 times

Advertisements

How do you know if you are allergic to wheat, is there a test?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM

5,003 posts, read 14,385,650 times
I think an allergist could tell you.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM

498 posts, read 1,430,447 times
Question Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post

Hi, I was just wondering why do you ask? Are you having a medical condition? Don't eat nomore til you get tested. If you can't afford a doctor than maybe you could call your local pharmacist. THey usually know things like that. Ok, well good luck.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 01-24-2008, 01:16 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,674,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Yes, there is a test and if you think you may be allergic, then I would advise keeping a food diary and symptom log until you can see your regular physician. Some people have an allergy to foods and some just have a "sensitivity" to certain foods. Discuss any symptoms you are having with your Dr., and he/she will refer you to an allergist if necessary.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:17 PM

4,730 posts, read 18,222,420 times
If you have gluten sensistivity it is known as celiac disease. The only way you can be 100% sure is to have un upper gi test done.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM

279 posts, read 1,765,572 times
The panel of blood tests for celiacs is very accurate.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:20 PM

791 posts, read 2,771,130 times
Thanks for all the advice, maybe it is more of a sensitivity than an allergy??
Basically if I eat wheat toast, bread sticks, etc.. I get an upset stomach that can last a couple of hours. I have read some articles that say to get rid of what you think might be causing your probably for a week or two and see what happens, but bread and pasta are things I eat every day.
I think I will look into the blood test for sure, and if I must live on salads for a week I guess I will, LOL

Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 PM

279 posts, read 1,765,572 times
Be careful with what dressing you choose. My daughter has celiacs and she can only have a few dressings. Most of them have hidden wheat in them. If you like ranch, I know Kens steakhouse buttermilk ranch is fine. But Hidden Valley is a no no.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:28 AM

10,353 posts, read 23,233,075 times
It's usually the gluten in the wheat that causes the problems like some said above. Also, watch out for hidden sources of MSG under names like 'yeast extract', 'spices' and other sneaky names on food labels. That alone can cause some big problems.

I have problems with wheat at times..the more simple form of wheat, like enriched products, if I eat it, my legs and feet swell up, i become bloated in my abdomen and hands, and I feel really tired and sleepy. And generally feel lousy.

The best way is to record everything you eat, when you have the symptoms, eliminate foods one at a time until you find the culprit. Then keep a record of the ingredients in the suspect food. To truly find the ingredient giving you the problem, keep a record of the ingredients. And when you have other foods with the same ingredient(s), then you can see if you have the same symptoms from that food. It takes awhile sometimes, but you can eventually pinpoint the exact ingredient and then avoid it like the plague.

If all else fails, then see a doctor. I am a firm believer in taking control of my own health. So I do the troubleshooting technique first, rather than go to a doctor. I only go if I cannot fix the problem myself, which is very rarely.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 AM

4,730 posts, read 18,222,420 times
Yeast extract contains a very minimal amount of MSG. Yeast extract also does not always contain MSG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies