U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 11:24 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,714,367 times

Advertisements

Our family has some bad seasonal allergies. When my daughter was little she would cough until she vomited, over and over again. My husband would sit with the tissue box on his lap while watching tv and go through a whole box every night.

If you are out and about, going to work each day, etc try taking a shower as soon as you get home from work and change into clean jammies or clothes. Leave your outdoor shoes at the door and have slippers that you only wear in the house. Many allergens enter our homes on our shoes. Be sure to wash your hair as it holds a lot of allergens. We also change our sheets each morning when we get up during allergy season. We throw them in the wash right away, then they are ready to go in the dryer before we leave, clean to put back on the bed in the evening. We also removed most of the carpeting in our home about 15 years ago and the change in our allergy symptoms was immediate. Hard surface floors don't hide any of the dust, dog fur, dirt that is in your home. I used to vacuum weekly when we had carpeting. Now I find myself mopping the living area almost every evening after dinner. The bedrooms get mopped weekly during allergy season. Since we no longer have carpeting, changing into slippers really cuts down on what gets carried into the rest of the house.

It took a while for our family to figure out which allergy med works best for them. They don't all work the same. At one point when our daughter was young and had/still has horrible pine allergies, I just went to the store and bought the smallest package of each allergy med. I had her take them for a week each to see if she got any better. Turns out Chlortrimeton works the best for her and my husband. With all of the new meds out, Chlortrimeton is getting harder to find on the shelves. So we stock up!

Go to this map, enter the nearest location, and there is an option to get local pollen counts sent to your email when they are available. The pollen station in my area does not report every day, more like weekly. But by tracking what pollen is floating around you can make some assumptions about what you are allergic to. Also, remember that even if the report says there is a very low level of (example) pine, but pine is your trigger, you will most likely have symptoms. The level doesn't matter, the allergen does. I am allergic to juniper, which rarely shows a high level where we live. But if it shows up on the report you can bet that I have a scratchy throat.

NAB Pollen Counts | AAAAI

We all use a neti pot in our household. Everyone has their own, or otherwise wash in the dishwasher between uses to disinfect. Even if you are using your own, be sure to wash it out after use and turn it upside down to dry on a clean paper towel each time. Before we discovered neti pots my husband used to snarfle up warm water in the shower and then blow it out...ewwww. But if you can't find a neti pot....

You can get a sinus infection from allergies. If you are congested, especially if you are taking pseudophed or the like, to dry you up, that thick congestion is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria in your warm, dark sinuses. We have found that taking decongestants only at night, so we can sleep, and letting the congestion run freely during waking hours has cut down the number of sinus infections each year. Washing your hands in critical, as is drinking plenty of water to replace all of the fluid loss from the congestion.

For the nose bleeds, we first try to head them off before they start. Once I start needing to blow my nose and my skin around that area is feeling dry, I keep a small jar of vaseline with me especially at home next to my recliner and on the nightstand. Our daughter marks a tube of her favorite lip balm and keeps that with her at all times. We moisturize every time we blow our noses, and put a bit into the nostril(s) as well to ward off bloody noses. And we apply it at night before bed so it has a chance to soak in when we are less likely to be blowing our nose every other minute.

If you are using any of the nasal sprays you may have a higher incidence of nose bleeds. It is one of the known side effects. So I guess you have to weigh the risk/benefit profile on that one. None of the nasal sprays work for us, so we don't use them. If you do use them remember the proper technique (I used to be a pharmaceutical rep and sold one of them!) "look at your toes, squirt up your nose, that's where the medicine goes" Be sure to blow your nose first, maybe use the neti pot to get most of the congestion out of there so the med can make contact with the mucus membranes, then bend at the neck so your forehead is downward (discourages gravity taking the med down your throat where it does no good), then give it a good squirt. Some of it will run out but don't be tempted to tilt your head back. The meds do nothing but make you feel ill if they end up in your throat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 03:05 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,940,689 times
I just posted what worked for for me on the forum here. Believe it or not, going to a gluten free diet cured my long standing allergy problems. Make sure you don't have a chronic sinus infection too. Your doctor can prescribe a good steroid nasal spray. Eliminate dairy from your diet as well, as it causes mucus build up.

Once you switch, take whatever you need to to get good sleep, as being chronically tired adds to the problem. After you get healthier you can stop taking anything.

If you clean your diet up real, real well (see my post to see what worked for the wife and I) and go gluten free, I would be very surprised if your symptoms don't disappear. We've just talked to too many people that have encountered the exact same thing that we have.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:58 PM

4,072 posts, read 5,177,191 times
This has been the worst autumn for allergies, for me, for a few years anyway.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:56 PM

13,120 posts, read 9,004,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Believe it or not, going to a gluten free diet cured my long standing allergy problems.
I tried that. It did not work for me.

My usual allergy meds are Allegra D and Singulair. I try to take a week off from Allegra D periodically. It works much better that way.

I am on Symbicort for asthma.

We have a steam shower, which is useful during allergy season. I get in there, relax for ten minutes and take a dozen slow breaths through my nose. I blow one nostril, then take another dozen slow breaths and blow the other. Very effective. You need lots of steam for this.

My usual seasonal allergies, previously mild, intensified in 2010 and have been worse every year since then. I am now allergic to birch trees. Guess what kind of trees we have on our property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies