Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:23 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times

Advertisements

I moved to Albuquerque from Philadelphia in 2008, to get away from a grass mold I was allergic to, when my allergy failed to respond to treatment. (In fact, I suddenly became more allergic to it, despite having been successfully treated for it, for years, with allergy injections.)

My relocation eliminated the mold-specific symptoms I had had in Philadelphia. However, not only have I (unsurprisingly) still had allergies to deal with in Albuquerque; my vasomotor sinusitis (mostly triggered by falling barometric pressure--even everyday drops unrelated to storm systems) has become much worse since moving here. I have had to deal with long stretches when I get intense pressure in my sinuses every day.

Recently, I started a treatment which has eliminated most of that pressure, at least for now. However, I still sometimes experience rapid drops in energy when the barometric pressure falls.

I am tentatively planning on visiting Phoenix, to see if my barometric pressure sensitivity issues are any better there.

However, I am tempted to just forget about Phoenix. If I move there, I assume I will continue to have allergy problems. Not only that, it can take a matter of years to develop new allergies after a relocation. I won't be able to visit Phoenix until I'm 52. If it takes two years to find a job and relocate, that puts me at 54. Then let's say three years to develop all the allergies I'm going to develop there. And then, optimistically, six years to successfully treat them. (I've been getting allergy injections in Albuquerque for over six years, and my allergies are still an issue, even if some things have improved.) That puts me at 63. Oh, great! I may finally be able to recover my life at 63 (or maybe even 60, if I'm lucky).

If I hadn't had the recent improvements under the new treatment I've been getting (chemical cautery), I might not care about the incredibly depressing potential timeframe. However, part of me thinks that it would be better to just stay in Albuquerque and try to build on the progress I've made. I could also resort to some treatment options I haven't yet tried, even if I am skeptical of them (NAET, or similar therapies, for instance).

And yes, I can always just visit Phoenix before making the decision, but frankly that's a big expense for me given my current finances. And yet. . . If I don't go, I will continue to wonder if I might have felt better there. If I go and I don't see any improvement in the symptoms related to barometric pressure, then I can write Phoenix off once and for all and get on with things here.

I will also add that I don't find Phoenix attractive in general. I'd rather relocate to a cooler than a hotter place (but the cooler places I've looked all have down sides that have made me eliminate them from my potential relocation list--basically I'm down to AZ).

What do you think?

(First person to say "I think this is a decision you need to make yourself" wins! But I am curious to see if anyone has any angles I am missing on the issues I brought up.)

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 03-12-2017 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 10:59 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Hi Nomad:

Did you make any decision to move to Phoenix or somewhere else? Just wondering. I do not have barometric pressure problems and just moved from a low allergy place (Chandler AZ) to a very high allergy place (Prescott). In Chandler I had a few sinus problems, all fixed with the right antibiotic. The lack of trees and pollen there was very beneficial for allergies. But the dust storms didn't help and made you stay inside during that time. Now, here I am in a very beautiful part of AZ and really suffering !!

I guess I will need to get allergy tests because I can not go through this misery next spring. I was quite all right until everything started blooming. Now I have a persistent sinus infection that won't respond to 3 antibiotics and zaps my energy. I need both an ENT and an allergist, NOW. I do want to stay in Prescott, but know that some people have had to move away because of all the allergies here.

Wishing you the best.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:08 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
It just is mind blowing that so many will NOT give Grape Seed Ex a chance re: allergy/sinus issues. What have you got to lose and could be winners.

My good friend has a life of allergies and suffers in Palm Desert, CA and she's given pycnogenol and grape seed ex and "fair" trial, BUT her colitis system backfires for her.

I suppose with colitis and colon issues, some can have side effects with grape seed ex.

I don't have those issues, for me the other bowel problems but I work on that with what I've learned and still learning.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It just is mind blowing that so many will NOT give Grape Seed Ex a chance re: allergy/sinus issues. What have you got to lose and could be winners.

My good friend has a life of allergies and suffers in Palm Desert, CA and she's given pycnogenol and grape seed ex and "fair" trial, BUT her colitis system backfires for her.
Yes, we heard this a thousand times already. I tried OPC's last summer and had serious problems with side effects, particularly insomnia and agitation. At the higher dosages of pycnogenol I did things that actually got me into trouble at work.

No thank you!

Old 11-24-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Hi Nomad:

Did you make any decision to move to Phoenix or somewhere else? Just wondering. I do not have barometric pressure problems and just moved from a low allergy place (Chandler AZ) to a very high allergy place (Prescott). In Chandler I had a few sinus problems, all fixed with the right antibiotic. The lack of trees and pollen there was very beneficial for allergies. But the dust storms didn't help and made you stay inside during that time. Now, here I am in a very beautiful part of AZ and really suffering !!

I guess I will need to get allergy tests because I can not go through this misery next spring. I was quite all right until everything started blooming. Now I have a persistent sinus infection that won't respond to 3 antibiotics and zaps my energy. I need both an ENT and an allergist, NOW. I do want to stay in Prescott, but know that some people have had to move away because of all the allergies here.

Wishing you the best.
Thank you. Just seeing this now. I am still in Albuquerque. I will be trying the alternative treatment NAET shortly.

If it's an actual sinus infection, it might possibly respond to the Chinese formula Long Dan Xie Gan Wan (or its variant, Coptis Purge Fire). However, the formula is known for frequently causing intestinal and stomach problems, however. I use it less often than I would, because I have found the digestive side effects to be severe. It might be worth a try, however, for an acute sinus infection that isn't responding to antibiotics.

I am pretty doubtful there is any place where I wouldn't have major sinus problems. Maybe Southern California, but aside from the financial issues, I consider California pretty much a political basket case at this point.

I was going to mention that Phoenix is one of the few cities where sinus chemical cautery is offered, but I may have been wrong about that. I just checked what I had bookmarked about that and it was about chemical cauterization for nosebleeds, a similar, but different, procedure.

That might simplify my decision since I'm not sure I would move to a city where that procedure isn't offered, since it's helped a great deal with my sinus pressure. To be clear, I don't know for certain that the procedure is not offered in the Phoenix area, but I see no evidence that it is.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Yes, we heard this a thousand times already. I tried OPC's last summer and had serious problems with side effects, particularly insomnia and agitation. At the higher dosages of pycnogenol I did things that actually got me into trouble at work.

No thank you!
Ok, if I haven't been having the results I've had for 22 yrs I would NOT talk about this supplement as I do...the deserts are the worst areas for sinus issues..A Calif. friend took a job transfer to Phoenix and came back on her own to horrible Calif.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:12 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Unfortunately, moving around doesn't really fix most of us who have allergies. I have had allergies all my life, I live in Florida, and even when I visit some other area of the country I sometimes have even WORSE allergies. I actually live near the (salt) water coast, and also the air in Florida is some of the best in the country, which helps me a lot.

If I were you OP, I would stay where you are, especially since you have made some progress. I would NOT move to Phoenix. My husbands uncles moved there from Indiana due to allergies, and after several years moved BACK to Indiana, because he hated the oppressive heat there, plus I don't think his allergies improved much.

As far as supplements, sorry to jaminhealth, but grape seed has never done anything for me at all - and I gave it a good try (many, many months). I am best helped with lobelia extract and even magnesium powder.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Unfortunately, moving around doesn't really fix most of us who have allergies. I have had allergies all my life, I live in Florida, and even when I visit some other area of the country I sometimes have even WORSE allergies. I actually live near the (salt) water coast, and also the air in Florida is some of the best in the country, which helps me a lot.

If I were you OP, I would stay where you are, especially since you have made some progress. I would NOT move to Phoenix. My husbands uncles moved there from Indiana due to allergies, and after several years moved BACK to Indiana, because he hated the oppressive heat there, plus I don't think his allergies improved much.

As far as supplements, sorry to jaminhealth, but grape seed has never done anything for me at all - and I gave it a good try (many, many months). I am best helped with lobelia extract and even magnesium powder.
I'd venture to say the grape seed Extract was doing you good..strengthening your immune system, hopefully keeping cancers from taking off in your body, reducing some of the diabetic issues (I believe you deal with diabetes), keeping eyes healthy, keeping gums healthier, keeping veins clear. For me since I had a chronic issue the allergy/sinus stuff most of my life before, it was truly astounding for me that I got the relief I did...wasn't even expecting that as I heard the words "may prevent cancers" and that sold me and as I've said I started with Pycnogenol for the first year and then found grape seed ex.

I've always said everyone would be so much healthier on these antioxidants. It's rather shocking to hear the problems the poster reported. Some over many years have mentioned some nausea, andother friend can't take it as it gives her more loose bowels and she deals with colitis. I've never had an issue and only positive reports in my overall health. And skin too is not aging like some almost 80 yr olds..and even moles and freckles have disappeared. OK.....

Old 11-25-2017, 10:28 PM

I wouldn't necessarily discourage anyone from trying pycnogenol or grapeseed oil, but I think anyone trying it should be aware that there may be side effects. Pycnogenol did do some positive things for me, as I've mentioned before. But it didn't help my allergies or sinus problems. Meanwhile, it also had the side effects I referred to above. It's a powerful substance. I agree about that.

A lot of these herbs and supplements have strong psychoactive effects for certain people.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I wouldn't necessarily discourage anyone from trying pycnogenol or grapeseed oil, but I think anyone trying it should be aware that there may be side effects. Pycnogenol did do some positive things for me, as I've mentioned before. But it didn't help my allergies or sinus problems. Meanwhile, it also had the side effects I referred to above. It's a powerful substance. I agree about that.

A lot of these herbs and supplements have strong psychoactive effects for certain people.
I wish it were more powerful LIKE reducing arthritic pains in my body. For me, alts work in my life far far better than pharma drugs. I've never had side effects from alts, one I can think of is St. Johns Wort elevated blood pressure, but got off it right away when I became aware. I've had my share with pharma drugs..talk about side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies