Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:40 PM

12,700 posts, read 14,857,939 times

Advertisements

I'm going to have to start dusting & vacuuming a LOT more often from now on...& I'm talking pretty much my entire 700 sq ft apt.

First, I'm going to clear away a lot of stuff because the more things lying around, the more dust settles in the crevices & it becomes harder to dust.

I wish there was an invention to prevent dust from forming again so fast!

Any tips, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:46 PM

48,414 posts, read 34,593,681 times
I have 2000 sq ft. On 1st floor I set off roomba daily. Vacuum both floors with hepa filter. I have a hepa filter on my AC intake. I have an air filter right before the air intake. I use dust repellent on my electronics. I have 3 large dogs and dust all of the time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-29-2017, 01:00 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,445,756 times
Most dust starts when brought into the house on shoes or in the air. Keep the windows closed, have heavy duty entrance mats inside and oiut and take off your shoes immediately every time. Remove drapes and, if possible, wall to wall carpet.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:59 PM

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Most dust starts when brought into the house on shoes or in the air. Keep the windows closed, have heavy duty entrance mats inside and oiut and take off your shoes immediately every time. Remove drapes and, if possible, wall to wall carpet.
Yeah, wish I could ALL of that. I live in an apt run by a corporation, so sure CAN'T just take up the carpeting. I never had drapes, just the blinds. I do remove shoes when I enter the place. I can't keep windows closed because it can feel stuffy & stale in here pretty fast. Plus, I need fresh air.

I'll just do the best I can. I've got all kinds of things plugged in here:

cool-mist humidifier
air purifier
Himalayan salt lamp

Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,799,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks guys!

Yeah, wish I could ALL of that. I live in an apt run by a corporation, so sure CAN'T just take up the carpeting. I never had drapes, just the blinds. I do remove shoes when I enter the place. I can't keep windows closed because it can feel stuffy & stale in here pretty fast. Plus, I need fresh air.

I'll just do the best I can. I've got all kinds of things plugged in here:

cool-mist humidifier
air purifier
Himalayan salt lamp

I'm not sure why carpeting hasn't been phased out by now. I mean it's comfortable to walk on that's my guess but why can't they find a more hygienic material that's comfortable by now?

I have the HEPA filter and it might be helping a little. I also used Lysol spray a few days ago. I have been told that the 99.9 percent claim is not a marketing exaggeration. I would think that would be the most efficient in combination with the filter. The only problem I have with it is it seems you have to spray every single day. In addition, when I used it I did it before I left home but I can still feel the vapor when I came back and I must have been gone an hour or two. However, I have hyper senses so it may just be me and I guess it is better than having your allergy triggered.

I have also been thinking about getting the protectors for your bed because that's where the nasties go to but I haven't done it yet because I feel like all the bed linens needs to be washed again before I put it on. Plus I can't put it on myself because it is difficult to lift up the mattress. You can try getting the protectors and let us know how it goes.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:45 AM

419 posts, read 385,794 times
I have the mattress and pillows protectors and think they help. The twin beds I put on by myself with time and a good amount of effort. The king needed two people, and it still was a royal pain.

We have cathedral ceilings, and that should be a no-no for allergy sufferers. It's very difficult to keep the dust off of high places. I was on a ladder this morning with a broom to clean off the take-away AC vent. It had been a couple of months, and I was bombarded with clumps of dust. Next house will have regular ceilings. And then there's wood blinds to constantly clean -- another no-no! Sometimes I feel like pitching a tent in the yard, but then I remember I'm allergic to most things that blossom.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:44 PM

Good to know, thanks!

Old 04-19-2017, 12:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,639,044 times
Who likes dust, not me either. But I can't be on top of it all. I too have a 700 sq ft apt in SMonice and dust as best I can. It's not the worst thing. I get a cleaning person when I can and live with it all. By the ocean maybe it's not as dusty. When I was much younger and hardy, I cleaned a lot, now I just can't.

For my life time of allergy issues, grape seed ex has saved me and I'm on this antioxidant 22 yrs...never sick

Old 04-19-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Who likes dust, not me either. But I can't be on top of it all. I too have a 700 sq ft apt in SMonice and dust as best I can. It's not the worst thing. I get a cleaning person when I can and live with it all. By the ocean maybe it's not as dusty. When I was much younger and hardy, I cleaned a lot, now I just can't.

For my life time of allergy issues, grape seed ex has saved me and I'm on this antioxidant 22 yrs...never sick
Re: the part I bolded, is the grape seed extract in a liquid form in a bottle OR pill form like at the health store? AND what's this anti-oxidant you take?

I've developed this mystery respiratory issue since Jan & had to go to a pulmonologist who ran a battery of tests. Asthma, etc. was ruled OUT, but he can't say what it is. I've been put on 2 types of inhalers. I'm going to continued doing research on ALL-NATURAL remedies because I don't want to feel like I do now for the rest of my life & have to just learn to live w/ it.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:24 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,639,044 times
FB: Grape seed extract is the powerful antioxidant.

Do your research and give it a good trial. I have NO respiratory issues.

Do a google search like: Respiratory issues and grape seed extract.

This antioxidant is said to do so much for our overall health.

Health food stores, costco, trader joe etc probably drug stores and all supplement companies on line. Don't buy the cheapest brand, but a reputable brand. Not walmart etc. I take capsules. Take enough for your body weight. Good standard dose is 200mg daily....most days I take more, but I've been using it so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies