Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:58 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times

Advertisements

Everyone keeps mentioning the epi pen like it's a magic solution. It's not. It works for 15 minutes. Then the reaction usually comes back. It's supposed to work long enough for emergency help to get to you. On a plane, you're not getting to the ER in 15 min. People I know with serious allergies usually bring four epi pens if they're traveling by plane. If you've got allergies and a heart condition or high blood pressure, the epi pen can be very dangerous, especially if you need several doses. This is becoming a bigger problem as more adults develop serious allergies.

A mask is a good idea. Have you ever worn one for more than a minute or two? If it's thick enough to filter out enough stuff, it's hot and traps the moisture of your breath. You might have to bring a lot of masks and change it out when it gets wet enough that it's difficult to breathe through.

This incident has been discussed quite a bit in allergy groups I belong to. The general consensus has been that the woman was acting irrational and not being completely honest about her allergies, but many people also said it's not fair that the airline won't ask for details about the purpose of a service dog or emotional support animal, but will demand proof from an allergic person that they can fly safely. It seems like the animal is being treated as more important than the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 01:22 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
I have to wonder....again whether this particular woman was truthful. I find it hard to believe that someone with such a severe allergy, exposed on the plane and reacting, was even able to fight with the police to that extent.

I also try to put myself in the shoes of the airline. How can we expect them to put themselves in the position of having to deal with a passenger's critical condition once airborne? They are required by law to permit service animals...so they can't guarantee that their planes or any of their passengers won't introduce animal dander, chemicals, pollen, other allergens to the cabins. With a bus, train, etc. the passenger can leave. What is an airline supposed to do? If someone announces that they are at risk and reacting, IMHO the safest thing for all concerned is to remove the passenger for medical treatment at the airport and then re-book them. If this woman had behaved herself she probably would have been re-booked and on her way, not booked for a crime.

I have allergies. I have pets. Once in a very long while one has had to travel with me, but its not for a frivolous reason. Its expensive and inconvenient. I get it. There are many many people out there with severe allergies. Public places are places with hazards. If someone does what they can to avoid the problem great. This didn't seem to be the case here.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I have a severe allergy to all chemicals. this covers perfumes, air fresheners, of all sorts so its hell on a plane for me.... and I cant say a damn thing .
I'm sure it is. Please don't think that I don't sympathize with you. Of course you can say something, but the problem remains: what can they do about it? How can they guarantee that all your allergens won't be present on your flight?

Old 10-01-2017, 05:55 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,403 times
Turns out that it may not have been an allergy thing but probably a religion thing.
Quote:
Muslim Prof ID’ed As Woman Who Demanded Dogs Be Removed From Plane
The woman who was kicked off a Southwest Airlines flight after demanding dogs be removed from the plane has been identified as Muslim professor Anila Daulatzai, who teaches at the Maryland Institute College of Art.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:10 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Interesting that it wasn't mentioned that the woman was a muslim until post #14.
It seems to me that someone who had a "life-threatening allergy" would carry some kind of proof; a statement from a doctor, a medical alert bracelet, something. Such a person would also be very careful to let the representatives of any public transportation know about the allergy before using the transportation, not after entering the conveyance. Any person with a modicum of intelligence (a university professor, perhaps??) would know that it is really dumb to resist when an officer tells you "You have to leave, or we will drag you away!", thereby ensuring that you will be dragged off the plane!
The policy of the airline is clearly spelled out, for all to read.
It almost seems like a deliberate act, in hopes of a big lawsuit payday.
she would not want me on the jury, if it does come down to a lawsuit.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:14 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Turns out that it may not have been an allergy thing but probably a religion thing.
I'd still like to know more. This source looks like a far right wing rag.

If she actually had a "life threatening" allergy, then she would have had the medical documentation on her at all times. If she simply had an allergy that made her uncomfortable, then it's understandable that she wouldn't be carrying the medical information around with her. And that wouldn't have been a big deal.

If that source is true, that Muslims think that dogs are unclean, I don't think she has any right to complain because that is a bizarre belief and no one can be expected to cater to all religious beliefs. No one was forcing her to eat foods that are against her religion. To claim a fake allergy is an insult to people who truly do suffer from life threatening allergies and it undermines their credibility when they try to obtain safe accommodation.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:01 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,358,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
A woman was recently forcibly removed from a plane, because she is allergic to dogs and the airline felt the right of dogs to be on the flight outweighed her right to be.

The really frustrating thing about this, is that popular opinion seems to be against the allergy sufferers ...

I always thought that the airlines were careful about putting pets in cabins, considering how many people are allergic to them, and they had restrictions on what pets could ride in cabins, and what areas they are allowed to have pets in ...

Doesn't it bother people with allergies that pets get priority treatment over them?
I used to think the airlines had restrictions like that too, but I guess not.

I love dogs and have owned a few throughout the years, but I don't expect everybody to feel the same as I do. But some pet owners take it personally though. It's as if they're thinking, "How dare you not love my Snookums, you evil person?!" or "Anybody that doesn't like dogs is a bad person."

Old 10-01-2017, 05:34 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
I used to think the airlines had restrictions like that too, but I guess not.
They do have restrictions. Only so many pet dogs (or cats) are allowed on a flight, and it is a small number, maybe two. They have to be confined in carriers and under the seat.

As much sympathy as I have for allergy sufferers, people who fly with their pets have first notified the airline, then been approved, and have paid a not inconsiderable extra fee. For someone else to board the plane and announce out of the blue, at the last moment, that they have a life-threatening allergy and the pet owner should be thrown off the flight, is asking a bit too much. If you really have a life-threatening allergy, you tell the airline ahead of time and make sure there are no pet dogs or service dogs on your flight.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:43 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

If she actually had a "life threatening" allergy, then she would have had the medical documentation on her at all times. If she simply had an allergy that made her uncomfortable, then it's understandable that she wouldn't be carrying the medical information around with her. And that wouldn't have been a big deal.
My daughter and I both have allergies we have to carry epi pens for. Neither of us has any sort of documentation that we're supposed to carry around, just the pens, inhalers and other meds that we have to carry. When my daughter went to a regular school, we had an allergy action plan filled out by her doctor and filed with the school, but I never kept a copy and carried it with me. I've never thought of carrying documentation on my allergies, because it's my job to keep myself safe, and I've never imagined needing to prove my allergies to anyone. A medical ID bracelet isn't proof of anything, since you don't have to provide any sort of proof when you order.

You can't predict the severity of future reactions from the severity of past reactions, so it might even be difficult to get a doctor to sign off on something saying you're not going to have an anaphylactic reaction during a flight. If they sign something like that and you have a reaction, they'll get sued.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My daughter and I both have allergies we have to carry epi pens for. Neither of us has any sort of documentation that we're supposed to carry around, just the pens, inhalers and other meds that we have to carry. When my daughter went to a regular school, we had an allergy action plan filled out by her doctor and filed with the school, but I never kept a copy and carried it with me. I've never thought of carrying documentation on my allergies, because it's my job to keep myself safe, and I've never imagined needing to prove my allergies to anyone. A medical ID bracelet isn't proof of anything, since you don't have to provide any sort of proof when you order.

You can't predict the severity of future reactions from the severity of past reactions, so it might even be difficult to get a doctor to sign off on something saying you're not going to have an anaphylactic reaction during a flight. If they sign something like that and you have a reaction, they'll get sued.
Well, by carrying your meds with prescription labels you do have some "proof" of your condition. Its something that can be checked if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies