Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 05:44 PM

13,234 posts, read 7,280,089 times

Advertisements

I have been a addict of over the counter nasal sprays over the years on and off in the last 6 months I got hooked back on after the terrible flu that going around. This time I have a reaction from it where my blood pressure instead of being around 120-130 over 72 I'm averaging 180 over 92. I didn't even know until I went to the doctor he noticed it and again at home I took it myself I knew only 6 months ago I didn't have this issue. I'm working with my doctor to get rid of the nasal spray just wanted to pass it along if you using it like I was check your BP make sure it isn't a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 11:10 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
I've been told by multiple clinicians to never use Afrin for more than two days. Apparently there's a rebound effect.

Was there some reason you didn't want to use prescription nasal sprays?

Old 02-04-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I've been told by multiple clinicians to never use Afrin for more than two days. Apparently there's a rebound effect.

Lot easier and cheaper to just buy over the counter for one thing and you get instant relief which you don't get from the other. I know all about the rebound you just keep taking more when it rebounds I was up to about 4-5 times a day with the 12 hour stuff which your only suppose to take 2 times a day.

I had started back with it because I have to sleep with a CPAP due to severe sleep apnea I need a clear nose or I don't sleep when I got the flu I wasn't getting any sleep can't fight the flu without sleep I had to use the Afrin it worked got me hooked on it again.

My wife has been using it for 20 years she tried the prescription stuff she said didn't work fast enough for her.

My doctor put me on prednisone for 7 days other stuff seems to be working he had me taper off we mixed afrin with saline each day I get less and less more saline to taper off.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:58 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,147 times
Thank you for the warning, in the past when using Afrin, I only used it for a day or two and then stop for days. So far Sinex used occasionally has not raised my bp too high but it does raise it, which I guess is a toss up since I sleep better and feel better when able to breath better and sleep better at night.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:05 AM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

There IS a rebound effect. Afrin works well to clear out the sinuses the first few times you use it, then it becomes less effective, and you find yourself using it more often to try and clear out those stuffed sinuses that keep coming back. At least that was my experience with it when I tried it. I suppose you could just use it one time once in a while when things are really bad, to avoid the rebound effect, but I'm also in that boat where I'd have to watch the blood pressure (and arrythmia)effects, so I never use it at all these daysl Too bad, because otherwise it's good stuff.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:30 PM

Doctor put me on flonase and Azelastine HCI which is prescription flonase is now over the counter I use that once a day and Azelastine HCI 4 times a day. I find the Azelastine HCI works best if I use it on a schedule before I get stuffed up. If I wait till I'm stuffed up then It takes up to 30 minutes to clear it and doesn't clear it completely. Where the Afrin would completely clear it with in a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies