Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 05:07 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Sadly, my family, my parents and my sisters, were all such people when I was a child. My mum thought it was quite normal to suffocate, because her granddad, who was elderly, had had asthma, and my dad, had no interest in me whatsoever. There seemed to be a, let's just see if he'll die attitude. My sisters were just abusive, and even told others that I'd never had an asthma attack.

There was no escape.

Something I should add too, is that often, no consideration is give to a person who has been fighting for breath for, maybe a number of hours, and will be totally exhausted. With me, as soon as I was breathing, I was sent off to school, but since my parents took the illness so lightly, I never had any medication to use while there, because they never demanded any real treatment from my doctor.
I can only imagine how scary that was for you. I'm guessing like me, you couldn't wait to leave home.

That's utterly appalling that your family treated you that way. Hopefully, the universe gives them their just deserts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 11:43 AM

13,610 posts, read 10,018,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I can only imagine how scary that was for you. I'm guessing like me, you couldn't wait to leave home.

That's utterly appalling that your family treated you that way. Hopefully, the universe gives them their just deserts.
Many things got in the way of leaving home, (mainly health, or lack of), but yes.

I hope so too, and that's all one can do.

Thank you.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:45 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
Have chemical sensitivities .. have had for over fifty years.. and hardly go places. never visit family or friends. they have to come to me as their house has odours I cant tolerate but is mild to them.. so if they come to my home they cant wear smelly deoderant, perfumes or even strong soap powder on their clothes..its my home my rules , some must think Im crazy. some try to understand but never will unless they suffer the severe symptoms these things cause to me and other MCS sufferers.. Ive even noticed some get a but uppity if I ask them to wipe off perfume from their neck if theyve forgotten..........My last visit was to my daughters house to deliver a birthday gift. and the smell from her washing machine overpowered me as I walked through the door and had to rush off out into the air...............I realize how difficult it must be for others to understand. I dont want sympathy... that doesnt help . what I want is others to work with me if coming to my home... and to perhaps learn more about this ignored illness.. it can happen to anyone...and its babies and children I fear for most. they cant choose whats on their bodies, or clothes or around them.....we can.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I don't say this lightly, but you have some really stupid family members.

Anyone who has asthma should be treated by an allergist who specialized in child hood or adult chronic asthma. No reason to suffer with it.

Take the idiot family members with you to the allergist and let them see the results of your skin tests, and let's see them claim it was "just an act". Because in skin tests, you don't know what you are being tested for and there is no way to fake that.
yes true for some allergies for mine though Environmental illness it doesnt show up in skin tests or blood tests so were not believed much at all even by doctors shamefully.. only patch testing ,hair tests show up chemicals..

Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Yes, people are ignorant about allergies and suffering some can experience.

All those affected should see an allergist for diagnosis and treatment. And not feel they must justify this to others...

Old 03-02-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes, people are ignorant about allergies and suffering some can experience.

All those affected should see an allergist for diagnosis and treatment. And not feel they must justify this to others...
your right but with environmental illness others around us have to be told , so as not to visit my house wearing perfumes etc...

Old 03-16-2019, 09:42 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
Oh I have an awful story about that. When I was eleven I developed a really weird allergy to guinea pigs and my mother swore that if I were to be exposed for too long I’d probably die from the allergy and asthma attack. She had told my grandma about this but grandma figured it must be all in my head and brought a guinea pig with her when she drove out from Idaho! Needless to say I got very sick and had to go to the ER so grandma kept her mouth shut about the animal and no one knew she had brought it and that it was her fault.

So, 40 years later when I was 50 and she was in her 90’s she told me about it. I got very angry because she was laughing about it. I am still mad and what hurts is that for a very long time she was my favorite relative.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:36 AM

505 posts, read 583,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Sadly, my family, my parents and my sisters, were all such people when I was a child. My mum thought it was quite normal to suffocate, because her granddad, who was elderly, had had asthma, and my dad, had no interest in me whatsoever. There seemed to be a, let's just see if he'll die attitude. My sisters were just abusive, and even told others that I'd never had an asthma attack.

There was no escape.

Something I should add too, is that often, no consideration is give to a person who has been fighting for breath for, maybe a number of hours, and will be totally exhausted. With me, as soon as I was breathing, I was sent off to school, but since my parents took the illness so lightly, I never had any medication to use while there, because they never demanded any real treatment from my doctor.
Your story mirrors mine. My family moved to Flori-duh when I was little and I repeatedly suffocated over the mold and nasty, muggy, tropical triggers. My parents gave me Benedryl, writing it off to allergies. No doctors visit.

Again, traveling to muggy, moldy, Costa Rica at 19 years old, my inhaler (back when Primatine Mist was OTC) stopped working. Looking back I needed the ER. My Aunt, whom I was traveling with said that since I didn't have an RX from a doctor, I did not have asthma! That was the scariest asthma attack and went to a doctor when I got home and have been on inhalers ever since. The doctor said she could still hear wheezing in my chest, even after suffering 10 days!

Thankfully, I've found Nettle Leaf, high doses of vitamin C and 10,000 mgs of Vitamin D3 keeps my asthma away. Also, magnesium carbonate acts like a rescue relief too. Unfortunately, beer seems to be a trigger now too, so I avoid it.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:07 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Oh I have an awful story about that. When I was eleven I developed a really weird allergy to guinea pigs and my mother swore that if I were to be exposed for too long I’d probably die from the allergy and asthma attack. She had told my grandma about this but grandma figured it must be all in my head and brought a guinea pig with her when she drove out from Idaho! Needless to say I got very sick and had to go to the ER so grandma kept her mouth shut about the animal and no one knew she had brought it and that it was her fault.

So, 40 years later when I was 50 and she was in her 90’s she told me about it. I got very angry because she was laughing about it. I am still mad and what hurts is that for a very long time she was my favorite relative.
I am very sorry your favorite relative’s stupidity nearly killed you.

Sometimes family sucks.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:52 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
I have seasonal allergies but was recently diagnosed with Asthma. I take Singular and Breo inhaler. I use my ventolin as an emergency. My asthma is not severe enough to go to an ER but I have a follow up with my Allergist on the 30th to see if allergy related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies