Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 03:20 AM

1,199 posts, read 660,824 times

Advertisements

I've never been tested for allergies. However, I used to eat beets all the time with no problem. A few years ago I grew them in my garden. I would go out and weed the garden or pull out a few beets for dinner, bring them in, wash them and prepare them. Within minutes of all this I would get tachycadia, hives, swelling of lips and hands, terrifying symptoms. Theyd last up to ten or fifteen minutes, then go away as if nothing happened. At first I had no idea what caused it, but after handling beets and having this happen a few times right after that I concluded it was the beets. I avoided them for a while, then one day had canned beets in a salad. No immediate reaction, but later I spent six hours on the toilet in agony unable to do number 2 but feeling like I had to. I am normally NEVER constipated and go very regularly. The pain was horrendous and it felt like I was blocked. Once I finally got it out and the beets cleared my system, no more issues. I never used to have trouble with beets at all, but I sure avoid them now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 06:51 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklineBiker View Post
Can you explain about this? What is MCAS? What causes the reaction to saline control?
https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and...onditions/mcas

https://www.mastcellaction.org/about-mcas

When I'm not taking large doses of antihistamines, I get hives from everything...clothes touching me, my purse putting weight on my arm, the straps of my shoes touching my feet, humidity, heat, etc. So when I went for the allergy testing, I had been off antihistamines for a week and my skin was really angry. They did the two controls for the test, saline and histamine. I got a quarter sized hive from the histamine control and a dime sized hive from the saline control. They said it would be pointless to test further because the tests would all be positive, whether I was really allergic or not. So they sent me for blood tests instead, and those were all negative.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:50 PM

233 posts, read 155,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I've had a food allergy test done via blood work and it said i had no allergies, but I sometimes feel like I could have an egg allergy. Is it possible to have a food allergy or intolerance even if the blood test says you don't?

A second question - can you develop food allergies from eating the same thing over and over again?

DUNNO.....BUT...my dad was a prolific reader, especially medical, and he told me, allergies are usually some food you love to eat, if you believe that, you can test on your own.

I don't trust the quacks.

AND I got my own allergy story, no allergies growing up til my 30's then BAM, I got hit by them and it was like head on into a freight train, I got them all at once, and was told by a co-worker that I dismissed, that it was dairy, and of course I loved dairy and went into denial and just took OTC meds and suffered like many others have, til I finally got fed up supporting pig pharma, and quit milk after reading about how young women were getting early breast buds and periods and they blamed the hormones in the dairy.

I figured I'd quit for a year, and so I did, I quit milk, and in 30 days I noticed the intensity of my allergies started to fade, and in 90 was gone.......and good riddance to bad rubbish.

I miss the allergies as much as I miss root canal. [ notmilk dot com ] has more info on it

Best wishes on your quest.....

Old 02-12-2019, 03:40 AM

7 posts, read 6,048 times
If you're thinking that you've got got a food hypersensitivity, see a doctor to verify what's triggering it and acquire assist handling and treating it. currently and once more allergies to meals is excessive, even serious.

How meals hypersensitivity paintings:-

meals hypersensitive reactions involve 2 elements of your system. One is IgE (IgE), a form of supermolecule brought up as associate protein that moves via the blood. the other is mast cells, that you've got altogether frame tissues however significantly in places like your nose, throat, lungs, skin, and digestive tube.

the first time you eat a food you're allergic to, positive cells create a full heap of immunoglobulin E for the a component of the meals that triggers your hypersensitive reaction, brought up as associate matter. The immunoglobulin E receives launched and attaches to the ground of mast cells. you would possibly not have a response however, but currently you're installation for one.

the next time you consume that food, the matter interacts therewith immunoglobulin E and triggers the mast cells to unleash chemicals that embrace amine. betting on the tissue they're in, those chemical compounds can cause various signs and symptoms. And on the grounds that some meals allergens don't seem to be softened with the help of the warmth of preparation or with the aid of belly acids or enzymes that digest meals, they might get in your blood. From there, they'll travel and cause hypersensitive reactions throughout your frame.

Thank You.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:41 AM

233 posts, read 155,441 times
I did have a stroke, so don't hesitate to ask me to clarify something, sometimes my mind thinks but I fail to explain

Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I did the whole 9 yards with allergist and his tests and injections and NEVER getting relief. Grape Seed Ex FOR ME was the answer. That was over 23 yrs ago and I'm doing just fine. No doctors in this area for this gal.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:46 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
If you are absolutely sure that a certain food is indeed causing you problems, it really does not matter what the tests say.......intolerance, allergy, inability to process, whatever.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:16 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,712 times
So let's say I suspect a food is causing me issues... how long would it take to see a difference if i eliminate that food? a week? 2 weeks? a month? or would i start feeling better immediately?

Old 02-23-2019, 08:37 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Just eat simply and keep a detailed food diary and keep track of how you feel each day. Sometimes you need to be your own detective.

I'd remove your suspect foods for a couple of weeks at least.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:00 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
So let's say I suspect a food is causing me issues... how long would it take to see a difference if i eliminate that food? a week? 2 weeks? a month? or would i start feeling better immediately?
It may be hard to predict and depend on what the substance is. Some ingredients may take longer to eliminate from different organs or body tissues (liver, gall bladder, pancreas, brain, etc). Some substances get stored or accumulate in tissues, others don't. Your sensitivity may be triggered by the total accumulation in the body not each individual dose you eat at any one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies