Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 11:28 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Hello,
So about 12 - 15 years ago, after eating shell fish all my life, and I love it tremendously....I developed a reaction to cold shrimp.

My girlfriends hubby went to a seafood house in NJ and got us u-peel em shrimp for supper.

So we were sitting there eating them, and all of a sudden I break out in hives all over my chest and back.

She says, "No more shrimp for you".

So I stayed away from them....

Then one holiday, I bought myself a lobster tail...and wasn't half way thru eating it, and broke out in hives all over my chest, back and arms that actually burned. No more lobster.

Now I do sneak those little fried shrimp they have on buffets every once in a while and nothing....

However, whenever I go to my cousin's she always gets shrimp from this one place and serves them cold with cocktail sauce.

First time, I ate one, then waited and nothing, then ate another and waited, and these are big shrimp....

So, this past weekend I ate about a dozen....and nothing?

So I called the seafood place where she always gets them and he was dumbfounded but told me, he always gets Wild Brown Gulf Shrimp from one vendor and one vendor only? Never do I get a reaction....

Crazy huh?

Has this ever happened to you or anyone you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 12:52 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
No, nor has it happened to a friend who is severely allergic. However, the intensity of your reaction (and your tolerance) could change over time and there is some evidence that preparation methods can alter the specific compound in the shrimp you are reacting to. I found this article that might be of interest.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3294628/

Old 03-26-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
No, nor has it happened to a friend who is severely allergic. However, the intensity of your reaction (and your tolerance) could change over time and there is some evidence that preparation methods can alter the specific compound in the shrimp you are reacting to. I found this article that might be of interest.

I will read the article thank you....

it's awfully strange, that only her shrimp I can eat with no reaction...I had even thought it had left me, and went to Giant and bought shrimp, took them home, started eating them and had the hives again....so strange.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:32 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Are you physically touching the shells when you get the hives? I know I have a reaction when I try to peel shrimp. I cannot touch the shells, but I can eat them fine when they are cooked.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Are you physically touching the shells when you get the hives? I know I have a reaction when I try to peel shrimp. I cannot touch the shells, but I can eat them fine when they are cooked.
In all cases I am physically touching them...and in all cases except the shrimp my cousin buys, gives me hives when I eat them??? Plus, Over the years, I've eaten them many times, b/c she always serves Shrimp and other munchies for an appetizer while we sit and talk, before dinner...so it's just her shrimp I can eat. The first time I was very cautious, one, then wait, then two then wait, then I stopped. 2nd time, I ate them the same way only two at a time...and so on...this past weekend, I ate several at a time...If I'd have eaten that many from Giant or any other store, I'd have broke out in hives all over the place....crazy!

It's just crazy, the man who owns the seafood shop was at a loss for words when I told him and asked him what kind of shrimp they are....he told me that I may be allergic to whatever it is that they dip the shrimp into, before freezing them? I asked if his shrimp were dipped in that same chemical, he said, yes, so I replied, "well I guess that's not it". So strange....wish I knew?

I spoke to another person who owns a seafood shop years ago, and he told me, that if the shrimp come from the gulf, they do not have the iodine content in them that our Atlantic shrimp do....????

Now, I did go once a long time ago for kidney x-rays and I broke out in a hive, just one, and they told me to never ever get a kidney dye again....which has iodine in it.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 03-27-2019 at 04:29 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 06:38 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
In all cases I am physically touching them...and in all cases except the shrimp my cousin buys, gives me hives when I eat them??? Plus, Over the years, I've eaten them many times, b/c she always serves Shrimp and other munchies for an appetizer while we sit and talk, before dinner...so it's just her shrimp I can eat. The first time I was very cautious, one, then wait, then two then wait, then I stopped. 2nd time, I ate them the same way only two at a time...and so on...this past weekend, I ate several at a time...If I'd have eaten that many from Giant or any other store, I'd have broke out in hives all over the place....crazy!

It's just crazy, the man who owns the seafood shop was at a loss for words when I told him and asked him what kind of shrimp they are....he told me that I may be allergic to whatever it is that they dip the shrimp into, before freezing them? I asked if his shrimp were dipped in that same chemical, he said, yes, so I replied, "well I guess that's not it". So strange....wish I knew?

I spoke to another person who owns a seafood shop years ago, and he told me, that if the shrimp come from the gulf, they do not have the iodine content in them that our Atlantic shrimp do....????

Now, I did go once a long time ago for kidney x-rays and I broke out in a hive, just one, and they told me to never ever get a kidney dye again....which has iodine in it.
Happened to a good friend. She went for a medical test that involved using a dye and then became highly allergic to shellfish. She cant even go to a restaurant that deep fries any shellfish then uses that oil to deep fry something else etc. she said she wished the medical folk had told her in advance about this happening. She wouldnt have had the test. Too dangerous.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:

yes, the article was most enlightening, thank you....

the man at the seafood place, said, that most shrimp we eat are tigers, which are farm raised....his are not, they are from the gulf?

So it may be a difference in the preparation, actually it has to be...which causes more iodine in them?

Old 03-27-2019, 01:56 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, the article was most enlightening, thank you....

the man at the seafood place, said, that most shrimp we eat are tigers, which are farm raised....his are not, they are from the gulf?

So it may be a difference in the preparation, actually it has to be...which causes more iodine in them?
The iodine content may be similar, but the cooking/preparation may neutralize or chemically modify it in some way so the immune system doesn't react to it as much.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
The iodine content may be similar, but the cooking/preparation may neutralize or chemically modify it in some way so the immune system doesn't react to it as much.
It is absolutely crazy....I can go to her house and eat all I want...she gets the shrimp from the same place....
LOL, boy she could really do a number on me, if she changed places...huh....lol

Old 03-28-2019, 08:04 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Honestly, I wouldn't fool around with it... or at least make sure you have an epi-pen on hand in case the next reaction is anaphylactic shock. Reactions often get worse as you expose yourself more and more to the allergen. My fairly uneducated guess is that you are not allergic to shrimp but to something else cooked in the same water/oil as the shrimp. Could be lobster. The crustacean shellfish are usually cross-reactive, but not always. You can also go to an allergist to get tested for everything to see what you are allergic to.

My daughter is allergic to crawfish and shrimp. While she didn't come up as allergic to lobster, there's something like an 85% chance of her developing an allergy to it over time, so we avoid any and all crustacean shellfish for her. She also doesn't eat french fries or onion rings or whatever that is fried in the same oil as shrimp. Too dangerous... could literally be a matter of life and death. She carries an epi-pen everywhere she goes and has never had to use it, thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies