Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 02:43 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm allergic to heat. So I can enjoy the outdoors here from Nov thru March, assuming it's not below 40 because I react to cold too. This time of year I can only go outside after dark, or maybe a couple hours between 5 and 7 in the morning. In the winter, I can exercise in my garage and I can ride my bike. The rest of the year, I can't do anything.

Have you asked your doctor about allergy shots? Or tried using Flonase?

I'll be honest, I'm on so many allergy meds for MCAS that my seasonal allergies aren't an issue anymore. Maybe taking more antihistamines would help you too, at least until you move...you can take zyrtec twice a day, you can ask your doctor about singulair or a daily asthma controller.

Allergic to heat? Do you mean you just don't like it and find it intolerable? Or you actually have symptoms from heat?

I feel "allergic" to extreme cold. Not literally, but it's gotten worse in recent years,

I am also on a plethora of allergy meds and inhalers. I do take OTC Singular. The shots do nothing for me.

Before this, I'd though that Texas would be a good state for me.

I think you live my life in reverse. I feel for you.

You mentioned extreme temperatures - I can't say that I have ever lived or visited an area that was extremely hot - like TX must be in Summer - except in the colder months when it's beautiful.

Extreme cold literally hurts my lungs. Under 40F isn't horrible for me, but below 30F and I am very uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 02:50 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
The other aspect is the fact that we really have no roots here. We lived in PA before moving to OH. I think PA was actually where it all began, Another very leafy green, lush, valley.

While we like it here, moving to a place where we have less symptoms would be a good thing.

We'd love San Diego, but it's not in our budget. So, we need a moderately priced home. In Long Island, where we are from, taxes start at around $10,000 per year. When we left, they were up to $25. We can not go back to that.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:43 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Allergic to heat? Do you mean you just don't like it and find it intolerable? Or you actually have symptoms from heat?

I feel "allergic" to extreme cold. Not literally, but it's gotten worse in recent years,

I am also on a plethora of allergy meds and inhalers. I do take OTC Singular. The shots do nothing for me.

Before this, I'd though that Texas would be a good state for me.

I think you live my life in reverse. I feel for you.

You mentioned extreme temperatures - I can't say that I have ever lived or visited an area that was extremely hot - like TX must be in Summer - except in the colder months when it's beautiful.

Extreme cold literally hurts my lungs. Under 40F isn't horrible for me, but below 30F and I am very uncomfortable.
Allergic like I get hives, my face swells and turns dark red, I have trouble breathing, dizzy, near fainting, brain fog. It's actually part of my MCAS. Some people with cholinergic urticaria have the same symptoms.

There's no OTC version of Singulair as far as I'm aware. The generic is montelukast. It's a leukotriene blocker, which helps with shortness of breath.

I just started Xolair. That might be another option for you if the antihistamines and daily controller meds aren't doing enough for you.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:55 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,526,537 times
My allergies are year round and I really suffer. Xolier worked but it sent my BP sky high. Plus it’s a 1k/month. Kansas was the worst for me. I live in Nevada and have allergies year round.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
My allergies are year round and I really suffer. Xolier worked but it sent my BP sky high. Plus it’s a 1k/month. Kansas was the worst for me. I live in Nevada and have allergies year round.
There's a copay assistance program for both the med copay and the office visit copay that brings your copay down to $5/month for each. I wouldn't be trying xolair if I had to pay a grand a month for it.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:27 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,998 times
Everyone’s allergies are different so there’s not a single answer.

In the upper Midwest I had no allergies/asthma, but moving to coastal NC has brought both in my 60’s! Since my worst allergy is mold, I’m hoping to move far enough north to get some freezing in winter. Also, a newer built home will most likely have little to no mold as opposed to a much older building.

Those without allergies think it’s no big deal to live with them, unfortunately. It can be life-changing.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:51 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
If you can stand longish, cold winters, the coast of New Hampshire is great for allergies. Anywhere along the coast is better than in a meadow or in the woods. The coast of MA is really expensive but that's pretty allergy free too. Seabrook, NH and the inland towns or Salisbury, MA are two relatively inexpensive coastal areas and the towns are pretty decent. Nearby are incredibly fantastic towns, but expensive. However, it gives you lots of things to do.

The coast of NH is only 19 miles long and it's in the southern area, near the MA border. When I lived around there my allergies went away. Then I moved to CT and was so sick that now I'm on allergy shots again.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:30 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Old thread, I know.

However, asthma and eczema are usually a lot to do with diet. Allergies as I understand it are our body reacting to things which they should be able to deal with.

All that being said, I have been reading a few books lately about fasting - in one form or another. It seems this can really get the body back on track. There are various ways to fast which range from the mild to the extreme depending on what it is you are trying to resolve, then the appropriate way is indicated. Water only fasts I have done in the past for about 14 days but now I cannot go beyond 5 days before the bottled water makes me vomit.

Currently I only eat one meal a day, my evening meal and so that means I go 22 hours with only water or lemon/water and I eat a normal (vegan-ish meal) in the evening. At weekends when the family is together I eat normally 3 meals per day. Fasting like this is not a problem for me.
I have been a veggie for years now so I dont eat much dairy at all. Occasionally I eat a yoghurt or some cheese, but maybe only once a month perhaps. Eggs, maybe only once every week or so.

One interesting thing I noticed (my wife actually) with fasting, is that your smell changes. Not how your nose works, but how your body smells. Everyone has a body smell which is related to your diet (indians often smell of curry for example), Westerners are supposed to smell of dairy as they eat so much of it.

So, anyone with allergies, I would investigate either try fasting or to cut out everything apart from brown rice and vegetables and then introduce different foods one-at-a-time to see which ones are the ones which cause allergies for you. You will have to give each one you introduce time to show if you are allergic to it, but this is a well known way to determine what is causing the problem(s).

From what I read, fasting is supposed to be really good at all kinds of things from making us live longer to reversing diabetes type 2, so is well worth investigating. For me it also reduces mucous in my mouth and lungs which helps asthma sufferers with wheezes.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:15 AM

7,097 posts, read 4,526,537 times
I have had my allergies tested numerous times and don’t have food allergies.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Personal experiences are welcome!

Yes. I have Googled this. There seems to be much more agreement on locations that are "Allergy Unfriendly" and lots of disagreement about places that are good for people with allergies.

When I was growing up, I knew people who moved to Arizona because their allergies were so bad. Now, I don't see AZ on the allergy friendly lists as much.

Currently, we live in a valley in Ohio. In general, OH comes up on almost every list as a place to stay away from if you are allergic or asthmatic. As does PA, KY, TN, AR and other inland states.

We moved here almost seven years ago. While we like it, every year our allergies and asthma have gotten increasingly worse. My husband had NO allergies before moving here. Now he is constantly coughing, clearing his throat, dealing with post nasal drip, congestion, and shortness of breath.

I am the same, but worse. I've always dealt with some seasonal allergies, but nothing like this.

It isn't just my respiratory system that is affected, it's my skin. I never had eczema in my life, but now I do. My eyes run and are dry and itchy. My husband is experiencing the same thing.

I always remember what my son's doctor had to say when son was very young and severe asthma. He said there is no one better place to live: it solely depends on what you are allergic to. Yes, dry climate is probably better but if you move to AZ and are allergic to cactus you will have a problem. r. Mostly salt water, but Minneapolis was an exception. The NE, where we are from originally, seems OK. Most of the south seems not good - with the exception of FL.

2. OR they are in mountainous regions - Utah and Colorado come up quite a bit. I find this contradictory because I have heard that high altitudes are not good for asthma.

3. California and Florida come up a lot. But, so does Portland Maine and Washington State.

We have come to the conclusion that long term, Ohio is not a good place for us. We both get worse each year.

We want to start visiting some places where we might find some relief.

Thanks in advance.
I remember when our son, who had severe asthma and was allergic to almost everything he was tested for was told or we were, yes dry climate does help, but if you are allergic to cactus you do not want to Az for instance. I think this was good advise for our family. He did, with age get better, but even now, in his 50s he has a lot of allergy problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies