Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2019, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 2,910 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just wanted to share my current experience with the Elmination Diet and hopefully get some feedback. I am attempting to identify any sensitivities/intolerances I may have that may be contributing to intense brain fog, fatigue, and anxiety I have suffered with for about 7 years.

My current conundrum is - after 3 days of eliminating dairy, eggs, gluten, nuts, sugar, legumes, and nightshades, I felt more focused and energized than I have in years. Honestly, it was like my opens were opened for the first time. For 4 days this went on, and it was like a complete miracle had happened. Unfortunately, one afternoon, the fog and exhaustion crept back in, I tried to ignore it as I knew this was likely going to be an up and down journey. But, now I am a complete 2 weeks in, and the clarity and fatigue have not lifted again. I am staying strict to the diet, but I am finding myself very confused and frustrated. I know something had changed inside of me for those 4 days, I felt like a completely different person!

Please, can somebody enlighten me on what may be going on? Has anybody else had this experience? Any suggestions? I was positive I was on the right path and had finally figured out something that no doctor has been able to identify, but now I feel like I am back to square one. I've tried many diets, lifestyle changes, and supplements, and I am not one to get a false sense of security from a placebo effect. Any light shed would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 05:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
OP: How is your protein intake? I've been reading Dr Joel Fuhrman's link which I posted recently in the Alt Med area and he talks a lot about the need for animal protein and especially with aging. You might want to read the link I've posted in the IGF1 post. I know I feel a lot better when I eat animal protein and I don't mean lbs of it.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:27 PM

I'm pretty confident I'm not lacking protein, I used to lift weights and am pretty concious of my protein intake. I eat meat quite often.

My father and both my siblings have hypothyroidism. I have thyroid antibodies present, but my levels don't qualify me as "hypo" yet. Having a food intolerance would make sense. I've read that sometimes when your body is prompted to make antibodies because of a food intolerance/sensitivity/allergy, it can trigger an autoimmune response within your thyroid as well. I thought I was onto something whenever I started feeling better with the elimination diet, I just don't know why I'm feeling bad again. I've been told to continue the elimination diet for 3 fulls weeks to get full results and begin reintroducing food to see if you react to them. But, I was feel great after 3 days, does it make sense I reverted back after a week into it? Do you guys think I will start feeling good again? Can anybody make sense of this?

Last edited by MissFeelingGood; 08-10-2019 at 09:30 PM..

Old 08-10-2019, 08:43 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFeelingGood View Post
I'm pretty confident I'm not lacking protein, I used to lift weights and am pretty concious of my protein intake. I eat meat quite often.

My father and both my siblings have hypothyroidism. I have thyroid antibodies present, but my levels don't qualify me as "hypo" yet. Having a food intolerance would make sense. I've read that sometimes when your body is prompted to make antibodies because of a food intolerance/sensitivity/allerg, it can trigger an autoimmune response within your thyroid as well. I thought I was onto something whenever I started feeling better with the elimination diet, I just don't know why I'm feeling bad again. I've been told to continue the elimination diet for 3 fulls weeks to get full results and begin reintroducing food to see if you react to them. But, I was feel great after 3 days, does it make sense I reverted back after a week into it? Do you guys think I will start feeling good again? Can anybody make sense of this?
On the thyroid I tested with the good numbers for 10 yrs and when I finally asked my D.O. about thyroid he immediately started me on a theraputic dose of Armour and that was it, and I was 63 and struggled for 10 yrs with depression.

Your issues are all HypoT symptoms. You don't mention your age, but younger people have issues too.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:14 AM

8 posts, read 4,170 times
Hi MissFeelingGood,

In my experience, after some days of a very clean diet, the body turns into intense detox which means that a lot of toxins are pushed back into the system to be cleaned/eliminated by the organs (liver, kidneys, skin, etc..). If you didn't prepare those organs to do the job and if you give them too many toxins to handle, this can result in symptoms that are very uncomfortable. I saw my problems coming back in a worst way after some days of clean diet (oedema, anxiety).

Maybe you can help your organs with plants extracts (make some research about which ones help the liver and the kidneys). I would also advise you to go step by step (not taking out everything from your diet but maybe first what is for you the most toxic - for me it was the gluten and the artificial sugars). Also, don't go too hard on fruits as they accelerate the detox (I made this mistake and found myself super sick).
Finally, you can try a colon cleanse (an easy and quick way to help the body detox). Watch some videos on youtube about detox. I like the ones from The Montreal Healthy Girl as she explained everything in a very simple way.

I hope this will help!

Old 08-20-2019, 12:09 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
I was diagnosed with celiac a year ago, so I have to avoid gluten. I had all of the symptoms you had for years. They went away with a gluten-free diet.

HOWEVER, the sucky part is that there are a lot of other foods that our bodies can treat like gluten or you could also have an intolerance to as a result. These include eggs, oatmeal, corn, bananas, soy, etc. You would be shocked at how many foods you can react to. In my case, for instance, my body treats bananas like gluten. Also another thing to keep in mind is that just because it says gluten-free, doesn't mean it actually is. Oats are cross-contaminated, so if you're having that, it may be the culprit. Your best bet is to look for certified gluten-free.

Have you been to an allergist for a full panel? Have you been to a rheumatologist and gastroenterologist (for an endoscopy)? I would recommend starting with those to get to the real root of the problem. If this is not possible, stay on your elimination diet and introduce things one week at a time and see how you feel.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sab19 View Post
Hi MissFeelingGood,

In my experience, after some days of a very clean diet, the body turns into intense detox which means that a lot of toxins are pushed back into the system to be cleaned/eliminated by the organs (liver, kidneys, skin, etc..). If you didn't prepare those organs to do the job and if you give them too many toxins to handle, this can result in symptoms that are very uncomfortable. I saw my problems coming back in a worst way after some days of clean diet (oedema, anxiety).

Maybe you can help your organs with plants extracts (make some research about which ones help the liver and the kidneys). I would also advise you to go step by step (not taking out everything from your diet but maybe first what is for you the most toxic - for me it was the gluten and the artificial sugars). Also, don't go too hard on fruits as they accelerate the detox (I made this mistake and found myself super sick).
Finally, you can try a colon cleanse (an easy and quick way to help the body detox). Watch some videos on youtube about detox. I like the ones from The Montreal Healthy Girl as she explained everything in a very simple way.

I hope this will help!
Thanks for the suggestions! How long have you experienced that detox phase last?

Old 08-22-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I was diagnosed with celiac a year ago, so I have to avoid gluten. I had all of the symptoms you had for years. They went away with a gluten-free diet.

HOWEVER, the sucky part is that there are a lot of other foods that our bodies can treat like gluten or you could also have an intolerance to as a result. These include eggs, oatmeal, corn, bananas, soy, etc. You would be shocked at how many foods you can react to. In my case, for instance, my body treats bananas like gluten. Also another thing to keep in mind is that just because it says gluten-free, doesn't mean it actually is. Oats are cross-contaminated, so if you're having that, it may be the culprit. Your best bet is to look for certified gluten-free.

Have you been to an allergist for a full panel? Have you been to a rheumatologist and gastroenterologist (for an endoscopy)? I would recommend starting with those to get to the real root of the problem. If this is not possible, stay on your elimination diet and introduce things one week at a time and see how you feel.
See, that's exactly what I'm wondering about! How did you discover that bananas triggered that response as well? Is an allergist who I need to see about food intolerances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies