Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 12:19 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,082,762 times

Advertisements

I take generic Zyrtec each morning, & a generic benadryl at bedtime. I cannot do the nasal sprays, they give me nose bleeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 04:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhnd View Post
You have a lot of knowledge about allergy testing, in_new england. I guess it's not the SET then, although I wish it was from what you said. They did do what they called a "wheel" test, had my three vials made up and gave me a shot of each, then I had to sit in the waiting room with a timer for 10 minutes, then she measured them with the circle template. Said I had a reaction, but was still within range to go ahead and proceed w/ allergy shots. I would have had to wait an hour for the shots, so I went to work and came back the next morning for them. The wheel test shots were in my shoulder, but the allergy shots were in the back of my arms.

Ha! They did the initial allergy tests as what you described as the piece of wood slammed onto my forearms - they had four of them, I believe, two on each arm or maybe it was four on each arm. That is where I had a reaction to everything. After that, they then gave me shots (I guess just under the skin) on my upper arms, and those two tests gave me the results on the piece of paper that indicated the specific types of mold, weeds, trees, etc. that I am allergic to (again, all of them but some worse than others).
Your testing sounds more specific than what I'm getting. No, it doesn't sound like SET though.

Once we have a frost here, there won't be any allergies except dust and stuff like that. No more pollen, no more mold. I just hope by this time next year I'll have had the allergy shots long enough so that they'll be working!

We have to be patient. Allergy shots are the ultimate but during the winter I can get by with prescription Astelin.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Well, I go in on Monday for the tests. I hope, truly, it isn't a piece of wood slammed into my arm. And if it's trees, I cannot cut down all the trees around my house. Same with ragweed, pollen, etc. So, maybe just going around with the mask will be my treat. I wish they could invent something more fashionable though.

Just a remembrance. When I had a terrible cat allergy many years ago and went for shots, I got a lot better. Suddenly the allergy came back and I told the nurse. She said "Oh my. We forgot to put the cat into the shot" for about a year. I was livid. I know they combine certain allergens together, but come on...

Old 09-20-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Well, I go in on Monday for the tests. I hope, truly, it isn't a piece of wood slammed into my arm. And if it's trees, I cannot cut down all the trees around my house. Same with ragweed, pollen, etc. So, maybe just going around with the mask will be my treat. I wish they could invent something more fashionable though.

Just a remembrance. When I had a terrible cat allergy many years ago and went for shots, I got a lot better. Suddenly the allergy came back and I told the nurse. She said "Oh my. We forgot to put the cat into the shot" for about a year. I was livid. I know they combine certain allergens together, but come on...
Well, prepare yourself for the slab of wood on Monday, lol. I don't really know what that thing was but it seemed crude and they just slam it onto your arm--like THAT! Actually, I didn't get the slab of wood this time. But I had to remind the dr that I needed their advanced mold tests in addition to the regular mold testing. (He hadn't paid attention to what I told him about how allergic I was to mold.)

You'll probably get the regular testing and that's not so bad. Then all you have to do is make sure they remember to include the cat!

Yeh, I can smile because I'm finally feeling better but I wish you success and believe me, I know how it is.
(and designer allergy masks would be a great breakthrough too)

Old 09-23-2019, 03:12 PM

The thing is nothing really showed up as extreme. I was hoping for a "this is really bad " type reaction , and it didn't happen. The nurse explained there were 18 things I probably should get shots for, split up into 2 injections every week for a year. Then every other week for another year. Mold is definitely on the list and horses ??? Never been around horses ever. Of course Ragweed and a couple other weeds and grasses are also in there. Food allergies would have be a blood test. The amount of sugar I consume could be a factor for candida and other mold. Tomatoes are associated with mold too so have to get rid of them. Lots to think about. Will have to decide whether or not shots are worth it.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:37 PM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
Claritin and Nasacort from April through October.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:01 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
I find that every afternoon around 4 pm my symptoms get very bad - choking sensation with mucus at the back of the throat, a lot of clearing, a lot of coughing. I drink a lot of hot water and that seems to helps. Everything calms down after an hour or so.

Anybody else have this experience?

Old 09-26-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
The thing is nothing really showed up as extreme. I was hoping for a "this is really bad " type reaction , and it didn't happen. The nurse explained there were 18 things I probably should get shots for, split up into 2 injections every week for a year. Then every other week for another year. Mold is definitely on the list and horses ??? Never been around horses ever. Of course Ragweed and a couple other weeds and grasses are also in there. Food allergies would have be a blood test. The amount of sugar I consume could be a factor for candida and other mold. Tomatoes are associated with mold too so have to get rid of them. Lots to think about. Will have to decide whether or not shots are worth it.
Probably get the shots. I get them and I'm starting to hate going every week and sitting around for 1/2 hour afterward, but if it can prevent what I went through these past two years, it would be worth it.

Tomatoes are associated with mold? I didn't know that, just know I definitely can't eat mushrooms, lol.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:25 PM

The allergist told me that Alternaria is one of the most allergenic molds and thrives on various types of vegetation, including the black rot (pin pricks) you see on tomatoes. They said to just never cut out the black dot; throw the whole thing away. The mold gets into the tomato and spreads throughout it, so never eat it. This may not occur in cooked tomatoes, just fresh, not sure.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
The allergist told me that Alternaria is one of the most allergenic molds and thrives on various types of vegetation, including the black rot (pin pricks) you see on tomatoes. They said to just never cut out the black dot; throw the whole thing away. The mold gets into the tomato and spreads throughout it, so never eat it. This may not occur in cooked tomatoes, just fresh, not sure.
I see what you mean now. I remember my old allergist telling me that on a soft fruit or vegetable, just throw the entire thing away, but on something (maybe like cheese) you could cut a good part of the moldy part off and the rest would be safe to eat.

I'm extremely allergic to some molds that are in the soil and are in decomposing leaves in the fall.

Make sure you don't get a mushroom pizza, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies