U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 11:25 AM

8,641 posts, read 4,297,567 times

Advertisements

If you have lots of allergy inflammation in sinuses, ears, eyes, throats but only a little of the mucus is yellow, mostly clear, at what point is it an infection and you need antibiotics?
Do sinus infections create the same inflammation symptoms as the allergy inflammation does?
How do you tell when it’s turned into an infection?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 02:29 PM

38,790 posts, read 24,457,364 times
I see the doctor if the mucus is plentiful and steady yellow or green.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-05-2019, 05:30 PM

11,629 posts, read 8,428,643 times
What Mikala said sounds like a good guideline. I've had a couple of confirmed sinus infections over the years where my sinuses were so clogged up it felt like cement in there, and I couldn't even blow my nose. All that would come out was a small amount of material that looked like pure pus. I also had an intense headache and a slight fever, as well as a very sore throat especially in the morning after I woke up, from the sinus drainage.

The doctor that treated my sinus infections prescribed an antibiotic, but he also told me that decongestants (to promote drainage) were just as important as the antibiotics to clear things up. He recommended Afrin, and that worked well, though it's less effective after a few days use due to buildup of tolerance to Afrin.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:21 PM

Thanks for that info.
So if you don’t have a fever but do have just a little yellow (mostly clear mucus) it’s probably not an infection?
When I get real congested from allergies, I do notice some yellow — not from my nose, but that drains down my throat and I cough up and spit out. Wasn’t sure at what point or amount of yellow it means infection and need an antibiotic.

Does “steady” yellow mean all the mucus is yellow?

The confusing thing with allergies is you feel so bad from all the intense symptoms, it’s hard to distinguish if it’s turned into a sinus infection.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:20 AM

6,625 posts, read 3,077,633 times
I think it’s usually consistent green/yellow mucus- like all the time. I have allergies and sometimes will blow my nose to get green/yellow mucus or spit up green/yellow mucus after doing a sinus rinse, but it is not constant at all. I mostly have clear mucus. Usually when I go to the allergist, he asks if I am seeing green/yellow mucus on a regular basis. I usually get about one cold a year and the last sinus infection was a few years ago. With that one I had this outrageous amount of yellow/green phlegm and it was not getting better after a week. I was coughing and blowing my nose like crazy and not feeling any better.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:00 AM

Thanks Ramen ^^^
Do you remember what antibiotic worked for you to clear it up?

Old 10-06-2019, 12:51 PM

38,790 posts, read 24,457,364 times
Sometimes I have sinus problems, and sometimes I have a sinus infection.

I only go to the doctor when nasal irrigation or breathing steam no longer helps, my nose stays plugged even with Afrin or similar, and a fever (and symptoms above).

It was pretty obvious when it turned to an infection, there was no "I wonder if I should go to the doctor." I looked and sounded sick, by the time I got to the doctor it was clear antibiotics were needed.

You can just look at my room and tell it's time for a doctor: kleenex EVERYWHERE, bathroom towel on ground from getting up in middle of night trying to steam my head, nasal irrigator and packets thrown around on counter, medicine bottles bottles and water all over end table, and DH in the other room because for some reason he does not find the dulcet tones of my whining relaxing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-06-2019, 07:19 PM

LOL ^^^ perfect description of my bedroom and bathroom during much of this year’s allergy season.....
But I’d have to include various knives and small scissors needed to open all those dang plastic and foil enclosure pockets the pills are tightly enclosed in. Why do they make it so hard to get the allergy and decongestant pills out??!

Old 10-06-2019, 07:23 PM

4,993 posts, read 2,627,841 times
"Slime" marks the time of Sinus situations.
my wife has one now.
box of Kleenex tonight.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:39 AM

17,325 posts, read 9,314,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thanks for that info.
So if you don’t have a fever but do have just a little yellow (mostly clear mucus) it’s probably not an infection?
When I get real congested from allergies, I do notice some yellow — not from my nose, but that drains down my throat and I cough up and spit out. Wasn’t sure at what point or amount of yellow it means infection and need an antibiotic.

Does “steady” yellow mean all the mucus is yellow?

The confusing thing with allergies is you feel so bad from all the intense symptoms, it’s hard to distinguish if it’s turned into a sinus infection.
It's difficult to tell if it's a bacterial infection or viral. You can have a low grade fever and pale yellow mucus with a viral infection. I've been dealing with something since around September 7th. It was bronchitis at first and after almost 8 weeks of feeling better, getting worse, it finally turned into a sinus problem. I went to the doctor about two weeks ago and she put me on a week of Doxycycline and Zyrtec. I started feeling better but now the secretion wheeze is back again every morning as well as the severe nasal congestion and chronic cough. I've had seasonal allergies before but never anything like this. I think my next step is an ENT.

When you say steady yellow mucus do you mean that it's yellow only in the morning or throughout the day? Sometimes secretions that are yellow in the morning means that it was just down there for awhile. It's difficult to tell what the culprit is without a sputum sample sent off to be analyzed by a lab. I'm a retired Respiratory Therapist and I've done thousands of sputum samples. It's not pretty but sometimes necessary because it eliminates the guessing game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies