U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 10:20 PM

12,053 posts, read 9,393,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If you use Flonase, use it every day and give it two weeks to start working before giving up on it.

That's the key.. It's really not an instant thing. I just got some generic rhinocort.. It's what I was prescribed before, so.. I tend to stick with that.

I wound up having whatever creeping crud was running around in early Feb.. And with everything turning yellow now due to the pollen.. I really haven't stopped coughing since then.. The chest part of it cleared up, but it all kinda just slid right into a post-nasal drip thing.

Let me tell you.. Can scatter some people really fast now with this cough.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 08:51 AM

2,146 posts, read 4,222,185 times
I have used Rhinocort for years and find it works the best for me. When it was still on prescription only with no generic available and I couldn't afford it, after the doc stopped giving me samples to fill in, the doc gave me a generic Flonase and it didn't do a thing for me. I had to go back to taking pills. Now that I can get the Rhinocort OTC that's what I use. DH uses the generic Flonase and it works fine for him, but I'm sticking with Rhinocort. I see that it is available in generic as well but I'll stick with the original since I find that some generics do not work as well with me (generic Prilosec vs. brand).

My biggest problem right now is not rubbing my itchy nose and eyes!! Either that or I need to be walking around with sanitizer hanging around my neck!

Old 04-01-2020, 11:01 PM

41,442 posts, read 53,008,397 times
Nasal sprays are addictive and hard to overcome. My allergy Dr gave me a prescription for prednisone and it worked wonders. Rarely do I need to take them anymore, only for severe flare-ups.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:49 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,941,889 times
Technique is really important, too. Make sure you are aiming the spray outward (like bunny ears) and not pointing the nozzle toward the middle of your nose. The nasal septum which divides the right from the left side is pretty thin and fragile and you can develop some nose bleeds if you constantly aim the steroid sprays to the middle.

Also - a gentle sniff after spraying is helpful, but not a big snort. A forceful inhalation through the nose (a snort) just drags the medicine way back to the nasopharynx and it doesn't get to sit long on the nasal lining where you need it to be.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:39 AM

3,663 posts, read 2,351,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Nasal sprays are addictive and hard to overcome. My allergy Dr gave me a prescription for prednisone and it worked wonders. Rarely do I need to take them anymore, only for severe flare-ups.
Steroid Nasal Sprays (Flonase) and oral steroids such as Prednisone are known for lowering one's immune system. There are some medical reports urging allergy sufferers to refrain from using them under the current Covid 19 situation.

Anyone have any thoughts on that or have heard anything from their medical providers?

Old 05-16-2020, 08:24 AM

11,363 posts, read 7,436,318 times
I've stopped using Flonase. I don't go outside at all, yet my allergies are giving me holy heck. Flonase wasn't helping at all.

Fortunately my new allergist had prescribed a basket full of meds (I love this guy!) for me to use during lockdown, so I switched to Azelastine, which isn't a steroid. It's an antihistamine nasal spray. I kid you not: One spray in each nostril and no more runny nose. It also made me sleepy, which is a nice bonus since I have trouble getting enough sleep.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:29 AM

11,363 posts, read 7,436,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Steroid Nasal Sprays (Flonase) and oral steroids such as Prednisone are known for lowering one's immune system. There are some medical reports urging allergy sufferers to refrain from using them under the current Covid 19 situation.

Anyone have any thoughts on that or have heard anything from their medical providers?
Since the odds of catching CV are actually very low if you're paying attention and avoiding contact with people, I would say stopping necessary medication is foolish. Stop reading "news" scare stories.

I still use Symbicort as part of my asthma regimen.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:46 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,673,084 times
Quote:
I've stopped using Flonase. I don't go outside at all, yet my allergies are giving me holy heck. Flonase wasn't helping at all.

Fortunately my new allergist had prescribed a basket full of meds (I love this guy!) for me to use during lockdown, so I switched to Azelastine, which isn't a steroid. It's an antihistamine nasal spray. I kid you not: One spray in each nostril and no more runny nose. It also made me sleepy, which is a nice bonus since I have trouble getting enough sleep.
Azelastine is a winner! I was recently prescribed the eye drop version as my eyes are taking a beating this spring. Wow. What a difference. I didn't expect my nasal allergies to improve with the eye drops but it's like night and day. My nose is so much better. Great stuff!

I didn't get along with Nasacort (the only one the immunologist would prescribe for me due to some drug interaction problems I have). I totally lost my senses of smell and taste with it which is a common side effect. Fortunately, both returned within a day or two of stopping the Nasacort.

I really didn't want anything steroid in my system anyway. I do have an emergency stash of prednisone in case I have an especially bad reaction to my shots. Other than that, no steroids for me. My immune system is flaky enough with dumbing it down any further, especially with CV-19 out there.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:32 AM

6,817 posts, read 3,199,524 times
Quote:
Since the odds of catching CV are actually very low if you're paying attention and avoiding contact with people, I would say stopping necessary medication is foolish. Stop reading "news" scare stories.

I still use Symbicort as part of my asthma regimen.
https://www.lung.org/blog/covid-19-myth-busting

Agreed. What WILL lower your immune system is uncontrolled allergies. Everything I’ve heard is that people who have allergies needs to ensure they take their medicines religiously because too many attacks will make it more likely that they get infected. Prednisone does minimally lower the immune system, but usually people are only prescribed that when their allergies or inflammation is really out of control, so chances are they already have a lowered immune system. I have been using Flonase in some form for 10 years and it works for me. I take Flovent in the winter for my dust issues that seem to get worse in the late winter/early fall when dust is really coming out of the vents. In spring, I have more hay fever issues like itchy skin, eyes, throat, sneezing, etc and am taking my Patanase products (nasal and eye drop) more often.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:46 AM

41,442 posts, read 53,008,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post

Most drugs and other factors like sleep, diet, stress and hygiene can affect the immune system's performance, and any offsets in these behaviors can cause havoc on immune function. That's why we go by the doctors recommendations.
I've been using prednisone for years as needed for allergies and even with this pandemic situation I've not experienced any problems. My doctors have not had me change anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies