Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 11:18 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times

Advertisements

I’m new to dealing with severe allergies— I’m taking all the usual suspects- antihistamine, decongestant, Advil, and nasal spray. Nothing is really working well
So I’m wondering if any of you have had better experience with a particular nasal spray. I’m currently on Nasocort and wondering if Flonase would be more effective. Pharmacist says they are all the same effective wise.
Your experiences please.

Also do you recommend the two sprays in each nostril one time a day, or breaking them up one shot morning one shot at night.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 11:29 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,239,488 times
Two hits once a day. And I agree with the pharmacist who says they are pretty much the same.

https://www.healthline.com/health/al...e#side-effects

Old 10-08-2019, 04:04 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
I use a store (CVS) brand of Nasocort - same ingredient and it took care of my symptoms except for a slight post nasal drip that i feel at the back of my throat. My instructions say to reduce to one spray in each nostril if symptoms have improved. And this what I have started to do.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:52 PM

7,258 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I’m new to dealing with severe allergies— I’m taking all the usual suspects- antihistamine, decongestant, Advil, and nasal spray.

!

Statistically speaking, all the steroid sprays are the same, but any given individual may find one works better than another. You tell us which one works best for you.

Be careful with using decongestant sprays. They can easily cause tachyphylaxis: the more you use them, the less they work until they don't work at all and your condition becomes really nasty.

Aspirin and maybe other NSAIDS (like Advil) are associated with nasal polyps and life threatening asthma.

"New allergies" in adults should always beheld suspect that something other than typical allergies are the problem. Maybe self diagnosis and treatment is not a wise choice. Something serious might be missed.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:15 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I use generic Flonase, two sprays in each nostril once a day. It has a horrible floral scent that I can't smell anymore, but my kids complain that they can smell it after I've used it.

You might try taking a H2 blocker like Pepcid with your antihistamine. Sometimes that will help it work better even if you're not having stomach symptoms.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:39 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Thanks everyone for the great tips, info, and advice!

I’ve never heard that Advil are associated with nasal polyps — yikes - I take Advil fairly often to help with the inflammation.
Off to google that now.....

Back from google — on drugs.com it doesn’t say Advil causes polyps but people with polyps are often allergic to Advil and aspirin. But it does say that chronic inflammation in the sinus can cause polyps. So I guess that makes it good to be on the nasal sprays if there’s definite inflammation.

Quote:
“People with nasal polyps and asthma often are allergic to aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen and naproxen. They may experience a sudden, severe shortness of breath if they take one of these drugs.

If you have nasal polyps and asthma, avoid medications containing aspirin or other NSAID. Remember that aspirin and other NSAIDs are present in many over-the-counter pain pills and cold and flu remedies. They also are present in some skin creams.”

Last edited by mountainrose; 10-09-2019 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-09-2019, 03:36 PM

7,258 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thanks everyone for the great tips, info, and advice!

I’ve never heard that Advil are associated with nasal polyps — yikes - I take Advil fairly often to help with the inflammation.
Off to google that now.....

...If you have nasal polyps and asthma, avoid medications containing aspirin or other NSAID. Remember that aspirin and other NSAIDs are present in many over-the-counter pain pills and cold and flu remedies. They also are present in some skin creams.”

I'm not as dumb as I look.... I couldn't be.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:56 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabossman View Post
[mod cut - deleted post]
Nothing more than salt water!

Flonase and nasocort are both steroid meds that work the same but are 2 different steroids

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 03-07-2020 at 05:57 AM..

Old 03-05-2020, 08:15 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
FLONASE idea goes back to the very harsh NASALIDE which was designed to coat the mast cells preventing a histamine reaction. Basically, the allergen gets in, and it cannot get to a place to create a reaction, coughing, sneezing, itching...etc
Flonase is the gentlest and probably most effective one used. I have been on them for years.

I would suggest you consult with your allergist, but be wary of pill pushers. Also I have little faith in allergy testing and less in the allergy desensitization injections But remember, nasal sprays like Flonase do you no good after the attack starts. They simply prevent it, and do not be fooled otherwise.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:13 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
If you use Flonase, use it every day and give it two weeks to start working before giving up on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies