Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 01:49 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times

Advertisements

OP this may be helpful information.
What's that smell...
https://homereference.net/new-carpet-smell/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 05:27 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
A couple of suggestions would be to get an outside company to come in and thoroughly clean the new carpeting. Maybe they can was away some of the chemicals in the dyes, etc.

I have an ozone generator that neutralizes smells and mold. You may can rent one. Just let the home air out before going back in.

And maybe your maintenance man could look inside the HVAC unit to see if it's dirty and moldy. It may need cleaning.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:11 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
They are expensive, but you could buy an air quality monitor for your apartment. The most popular models on Amazon cost about $115-125. It might be worth it if you’re telling management that there is a problem with your air quality and they don’t believe you. I know I’ve had that problem in mine as well. It always smells like mildew is coming out of the vents and no one thinks anything is wrong. Now they haven’t changed the filter in 18 months. I did some dusting of items on top closet shelves a month ago and took them to the house I bought this afternoon and several of them were just caked in dust again.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:56 PM

19 posts, read 6,891 times
I wonder if Pamala was having a reaction to someones Wifi in the new apartment that was close to her??

I am very sensitive to Wifi... I dunno what freq the cable modem trasmits for 5G but ever since ours was updated to have 5G enabled I have been feeling aweful more times than not..... I had my dad disable 5G to see if I felt better and I started to feel much better thank God.....

I have read people having hypersensitivty to alot of signals in the air and around my house there are alot! (Not just Wifi but smart meter signals also -- Its really very scary to be honest with everyone)

I Cant be sure of course but I am grateful I feel better in my mind!!

I hope by now Pamela5 has gotton somewhere she feels much better....

Old 07-23-2020, 09:28 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
OP only had 5 posts and hasn't returned since Nov. 2019.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:50 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It could be the apartment and the rugs or nearly anything else in the apartment. I moved to an apartment two years ago and my husband and I could both smell something funny on the rugs. With mine, I think it was something they cleaned the carpeting with, something strong. We left windows open and it finally did go away but it was sickening for a while.

I knew some people who bought a brand new house and had to abandon it a year later. They lost a lot of money and were made sick from the carpeting. The husband had to go on disability, losing a great job that he loved. They kept some of the stuff they had removed from that house in a small room in their new apartments and I went into that room and took one whiff and felt dizzy and sick. I was so sick from it that I could taste the chemicals in my mouth. Turned out to be high levels of formaldehyde in the carpeting. They were "lucky" because they owned it and could send carpet samples to be tested.

But I don't know why the other apartment next door to you with new carpeting doesn't smell. The office manager can't smell it because s/he isn't sensitive to chemicals. Some people are and some aren't.

My advice would be to get out of there. When you are sensitive to chemicals, it will only get worse and it can takes years to reverse it. You can get really, really sick. I don't know if you'd be better off in the other apartment. Maybe it's a different kind of carpeting? Maybe yours was treated with something? Go and stay with someone until you know what to do. Maybe your apartment will be better in a few months like mine was. (You can spend a lot of money on high end air purifiers that could help but right now it sounds like you need to stay away from that apartment.)
How do you reverse it?

Old 07-24-2020, 02:21 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do you reverse it?
The main method is avoidance. I knew some people who bought a new house with wall to wall carpeting. She got sick first and they finally realized it was something in the carpeting. They took a small sample of the carpeting somewhere and had it tested. Turned out it was over the acceptable levels for a few chemicals. They moved out of the house but the husband kept going back to get their stuff and eventually he was sick too.

The chemically sensitive person needs to avoid toxic chemicals. I don't have a list but here are a few things that usually need to be avoided because of the chemicals they contain: fabric softeners, scented laundry detergent, carpeting, most household cleaners (you can use things like vinegar or baking soda instead.) Basically, it's anything that's artificially scented. In other words, you could have real flowers in your house, but not something that's artificially scented to smell like flowers. Here's a little article with some concise information.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...al-sensitivity

It is reported that once exposed, low levels of chemicals found in everyday materials, such as soaps, detergents, cosmetics, and newspaper inks, can trigger physical symptoms in people with multiple chemical sensitivities.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:50 AM

144 posts, read 81,000 times
In my opinion, it can be literally everything. It can be some kind of dust, or maybe mold? Have you looked for mold ? I know it can cause problems as you described. Try to move furniture and look in the bathroom.
I had the same problem you say, but in the house I was living in... and I discovered being allergic to mold.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:52 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
OP only had 5 posts and hasn't returned since Nov. 2019.
I usually notice that before posting. Oh well, OP won't be returning probably.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:54 AM

14 posts, read 5,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgLaw
In my opinion, it can be literally everything. It can be some kind of dust, or maybe mold?
Yes I guess Mold Spores can cause problems....... Many things can... Its disturbing how many things it could be..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies