U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 09:45 AM

14,785 posts, read 20,862,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I usually notice that before posting. Oh well, OP won't be returning probably.

OMG i hope they did not pass away from the apt .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 10:14 AM

18,715 posts, read 19,018,802 times
I am going to be it is the outgassing of the new carpets.......it should be a lot better in a week or two.

Maybe try opening windows and turn on the bathroom-fan if you have one.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:58 PM

8,984 posts, read 10,157,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
OMG i hope they did not pass away from the apt .
I wasn't thinking that. I just wish she'd give an update, but I hope nothing terrible happened.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:39 AM

15,637 posts, read 14,232,828 times
I also get very sick with the new car smell with voc s and can ever get our car valetted because of the sprays they use.. so many hazardous chemicals floating around... but in the flat it could be so many things even the laundry detergent the last person used.. so wash out the machine with vinegar and baking soda or soda crystals while the machine is empty , wipe round the drum first to take off any residue.. laundry fabric conditioner and sheets are a no no and leave smells in the air for days if not weeks. Id wash down walls , carpets , flooring , airing wont do it all as some seem to think... its stuff ingrained into surfaces too as well as the air...

Old 08-28-2020, 04:19 AM

14,785 posts, read 20,862,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I wasn't thinking that. I just wish she'd give an update, but I hope nothing terrible happened.

The reason I said that was because that was what happened to a neighbor of ours . The police found her and said she must have had an asthma attack and passed out went into a coma and died there in the apt . It was awful .

Old 08-28-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
The reason I said that was because that was what happened to a neighbor of ours . The police found her and said she must have had an asthma attack and passed out went into a coma and died there in the apt . It was awful .
True, things do happen. I just didn't want to think negatively.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 290 times
Although this is a very old post, I'm writing this just in case someone it might help someone who "happens upon it".

I suffer from sensitivities to various things - scented products mainly, but also seasonal allergies.

I have found the herb Schizandra (sometimes spelled Schisandra) to be very useful and so do various people I know who have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities). You can get it in powder, capsule, tincture form. I like the tincture drops.

Hope this will be of assistance to someone. :-)

Kath

Old 01-08-2021, 07:47 AM

15,637 posts, read 14,232,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
It could be many things - have you tried opening the windows and airing out the place? In addition to new carpets, it could be due to freshly painted walls, turning on the heating system etc.

Some of us are sensitive to things that 99% of the population have no reaction . I was sensitive to freshly painted walls due to a chemical in the paint. I had to stay out of the building where I worked for 3 days until the paint dried and the smell of fresh paint was no more.

A neighbor bought a house that belonged to a smoker with pets. No problem with smells until they turned on the heating system. While the place had been cleaned and painted before going on the market the issue only showed up when they turned on the heat. The duct work needed to be professionally cleaned and the house completely aired out for a week.

I can walk into an old book store for 20 minutes or be in a room with a wood burning fireplace going and even though I leave the area - I will be sick for 3 days! Minor exposure to something you are allergic to can take days for you to recover.
Everything would need washed down well.. air alone doesnt take away harmful VOC s or smells. but helps.. I was given a beautiful rug from a friend and had to throw it out as I couldnt get the smell of the cleaners or sprays she had used in her house.. tried the lot vinegar baking powder scrubbed it three times and it still had the smell.. Once these things are in rugs its hopeless to get rid of..

Old 01-10-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurly Kath View Post
...I have found the herb Schizandra (sometimes spelled Schisandra) to be very useful and so do various people I know who have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities). You can get it in powder, capsule, tincture form. I like the tincture drops.

Hope this will be of assistance to someone. :-)

Kath

I have that herb right now. I was told to use it to help w/ my hidradenitis suppurativa, this chronic skin condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies