Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 06:22 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

I never heard of this until very recently, but Cough Variant asthma is a type of asthma that features a dry, nonproductive cough. There may be NO traditional asthma symptoms, such as wheezing or shortness of breath. An ongoing cough is often the only symptom.

My fiance's had this long-lasting dry cough for the last probably 5-7 yrs now. It did NOT start off w/ him being sick at all & he has no other symptoms. I really can't tell what seemed to have started it. He's always lived in the same place, never smoked or drank. Never any allergy, respiratory, or sinus issues. He's had Hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid) his entire life & takes meds if that means anything w/ this coughing situation.

The coughing is a dry cough & his throat isn't sore & he never spits up anything. Just very recently though, he's been sneezing & had a runny nose.

He coughs quite often. He used to cough several or so times a day. Nowadays in the last 1-2 weeks, it's gotten obviously worse. 5 min can't pass before he coughs again. However, some days are better than others.

He got ahold of his Dr remotely & she prescribed:

- Ventalin
- Claritin

...for "asthma" & "post-nasal drip". He never even mentioned he's had a runny nose recently at times. I'm kind of suprised that she didn't want to run any tests...I assume she wants to try the most minor/non-intrusive thing 1st & see if that works.

Anyone know about this?

BTW, here's some info about cough variant asthma:
https://www.self.com/story/cough-variant-asthma-facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 05:22 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Apparently somebody was in the "publish or perish" stage of his academic career and put out a paper naming
"cough variant asthma" as if he had just discovered the wheel again. We've known about this for decades, just never felt a need to split it off as if were some kind of a new disease.

Lungs aren't very bright--When irritated, they only know how to do two things-- go into bronchospasm to prevent more junk from getting down the wind pipes, and to cough to get anything already down there out.

Nagging, repetitive cough is often the first sign of an impending, more severe bout of asthma or of mild congestive heart failure (increasing fluid in the lungs).

Ventolin is related to adrenalin, so it opens airways, and Claritin is an antihistamine for treating allergy--The problem is that most cases of asthma aren't due to allergy (inappropriate over-production of histamine) but to over-active reflexes of the airways.....Antihistamines can actually make things worse because they dry out mucus, making it more sticky and harder to cough out....Your experience may vary.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:15 PM

Yes thanks, I do realize it could be something more serious. I'm just hoping & praying that it's not. He'll just have to do his best to eliminate this. He picked up his meds today.

Any other input anyone?

Old 07-08-2020, 11:20 PM

440 posts, read 240,302 times
The cough is called bronchospasm, and it might be related to mild asthma or allergies. The ventolin will silence the bronchospasm and the claritan antihistimine will ease the allergy symptoms like runny nose.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:22 PM

440 posts, read 240,302 times
That cough is called bronchospasm, and the ventolin will silence it. The claritan is an antihistamine and will quiet the allergy symptoms like runny nose. Bronchospasm is maybe related to mild asthma.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:35 PM

Thanks. I hope it's that minor!

We've been living in this apt for about 6 yrs for him & 8 yrs for me. In 2017, for the very 1st time & after living here for 5 yrs, I devloped an allergic asthma condition myself as diagnosed by 2 pulmonologists.

Maybe something around here is finally affecting him too? I had thought of mold, but I don't think that's it. The yard workers outside are out there almost DAILY always doing something so maybe the grass, pollen, etc.?

Old 07-10-2020, 06:11 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
It could absolutely be something in your apartment like mold, or for your fiancé, are they doing any extra cleaning for COVID-19? I have noticed in my apartment they have been doing a lot of new cleaning procedures that have given me allergy/asthma attacks with strong chemicals.

I do notice I have attacks when they’ve been doing the grass/landscaping lately. We’ve had construction in this complex since last year and I am really allergic to dust. I assume that the leaf blowing is just blowing the dust into the apartment.

Honestly, if you have the ability to move, I would consider it, since it seems like you are both having issues that could be related to the apartment. Is your apartment newer? Could it be one of those impacted by the whole Chinese drywall problem? That apparently causes respiratory issues. I had one friend who moved into a condo that had to be totally redone due to the Chinese drywall problem. You wouldn’t necessarily smell mold with that because I think it has something to do with sulfur dioxide? I am not sure.

Also, if there is old wallpaper, that can cause an issue. I knew someone who had to move because of respiratory problems from wallpaper glue. There are a lot of mystery issues that might cause respiratory problems in your home.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:49 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
I was taking Spanish at the career center when my eyes started to itch and tear profusely. The teacher asked if I was sick. I think it was the cleaning products they were using in the building. If I had been in the water or wastewater lab at my job, I could have used one of the eye-washes to rinse out my eyes. I have never in my life wanted to be back at work so badly.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:03 AM

RamenAddict, yes, ALL good points to think about. A couple of sources state that this apt complex of mine was built in 2005...probably seems right. Yes, probably some extra COVID cleaning somehwere, but I haven't noticed it or smelled anything any differently. No wallpaper here either.

When the yard men are outside w/ the yardwork, I'ved closed the windows so particles don't come inside. Otherwise, I try to keep my windows & cieling fans on as much as possible. I also have an air purifier & plants to help purify the air. I even have a Himalayn salt lamp here, which I don't know how much that helps.

mshultz, I see, good thing it wasn't a permanent situation!

Old 07-11-2020, 06:07 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

When the yard men are outside w/ the yardwork, I'ved closed the windows so particles don't come inside. Otherwise, I try to keep my windows & cieling fans on as much as possible. I also have an air purifier & plants to help purify the air. I even have a Himalayn salt lamp here, which I don't know how much that helps.

!
As I stated earlier, most asthma is NOT allergic in nature (ie- not caused by an activation of the immune system).

Any change in the air-- from dust particles to humidity to temperature to even the flow of air (shouting, laughing, crying, exercise or A FAN) can set off the bronchospasm reflex. I know from personal experience that sitting in front of a fan or walking from a warm room to a cooler one (or vice versa) will set me off...Obvious irritants like ammonia, bleach, perfumes, salt lamps(?) are a no-brainer.

In regards treatment: Albuterol inhalers are a "rescue" treatment- ie- only used when needed. If symptoms only occur once a day or less, that's the way to go..... If they are occurring repeatedly or for many hours each day, then the longer lasting types may be called for ...but they have their down sides, too. Even the spray steroids have been shown to affect growth and such when used in kids, and the long lasting beta-agonists paradoxically increase the serious outcomes. Talk that over with your Peds.

No need to panic. For most people asthma is more of a nuisance than serious. Show concern, not worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies