Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 01:08 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

Boy this info could put the asthma medicine world running in fear.

https://www.cochrane.org/news/high-q...asthma-attacks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 09:14 AM

32 posts, read 58,508 times
That's interesting....I have asthma AND I recently learned I have very low Vit D levels. I assumed my avoiding the outdoors to limit exposure to allergens was causing the low Vit D, but now I wonder if there is more involved biologically with the two conditions.
I have started taking Vit D and I haven't been having as many issues with my asthma, but I've made other changes in my home also that could also explain the improvement.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey36 View Post
That's interesting....I have asthma AND I recently learned I have very low Vit D levels. I assumed my avoiding the outdoors to limit exposure to allergens was causing the low Vit D, but now I wonder if there is more involved biologically with the two conditions.
I have started taking Vit D and I haven't been having as many issues with my asthma, but I've made other changes in my home also that could also explain the improvement.
Good that you are getting some relief for asthma issues, as I said I don't have that issue but have been supplementing for so many years and when found I was so deficient in 2006, started to dig more and more into what's wrong with us. The RDA in our food supply is so low for starters and everyone is so open to diseases, I think this is so true.

And everyone is on computers and locked up in houses TOO MUCH. And then the fear of cancer with too much sun, hence the need for supplementation. Keep up the good work.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:53 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Nope, no one in the "asthma medicine world is running in fear"

Mostly because they actually READ these type of studies that you post without reading...

From your link:

The very FIRST line:

Cochrane Library has found evidence from randomized trials that taking an oral vitamin D supplement in addition to standard asthma medication is likely to reduce severe asthma attacks.

IN ADDITTION TO standard asthma medications....do you see IN PLACE of somewhere there???

Also from your link:

They also found that vitamin D did not improve lung function or day-to-day asthma symptoms, and that it did not increase the risk of side effects at the doses that were tested.

So in other words Vitamin MAY limit severe attacks which is good, but it in NO WAY replaces the need for standard asthma treatment

So no running in fear for the "asthma medicine world" whatever that is....

Old 05-26-2020, 02:42 PM

Need more evidence?

https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...-d-deficiency/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2759054/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315886

And there is more if one wants to search more.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:14 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Not a single one of those links reports or suggests that Vitamin D could replace medical management of asthma..

Old 05-27-2020, 06:28 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:

Very interesting. Wife has bad asthma and has been taking lots of Vit D lately due to the covid-19 pandemic and her asthma has been kept well in check the last couple of months. There's no doubt in my mind that most people need more Vitamin D supplements and more sun.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Very interesting. Wife has bad asthma and has been taking lots of Vit D lately due to the covid-19 pandemic and her asthma has been kept well in check the last couple of months. There's no doubt in my mind that most people need more Vitamin D supplements and more sun.
Good to hear your wife is feeling affects to the asthma since taking more Vit D...there is DEFINITELY a lot to this. I spent Mega Hours on the beaches in my life and when I "came in" and ended up on the computer, my body missed the sun/D. Too much sun does cause some cancers, hence the wonderful supplements we can work with. So much that is happening is subtle too. But if one feels a shift in asthma, that's huge.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not a single one of those links reports or suggests that Vitamin D could replace medical management of asthma..
No one is talking replacing, how about asthmatic reduction and better management and not ingesting all those drugs in one's body.....

Old 05-28-2020, 08:02 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I have plenty of D3 at home right now anyway because it's a good supplement for a LOT of things. I do have an asthma condition, so if this helps for that too, great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies