U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2021, 09:04 AM

5,851 posts, read 1,956,171 times

Advertisements

I grow and smoke marijuana. My wife is not a user, but she has helped me trim in the past. Several years ago she developed a strong reaction to pot. Her symptoms were rapid heart rate, severe involuntary muscle contractions, high squeaky voice, and hyperventilation, and a few other symptoms. This can last for several hours and is very unpleasant for her and me. I am very careful not to smoke in the house and minimize my use to just before bed. It really helps me sleep and the Indica variety I use is very relaxing.

To make matters worse, a number of neighbors grow marijuana and in late August, September and early October, the odor permeates the area. She is thinking of leaving until the area is tolerable for her. My question is: Is this common for some people? I've never heard of it before, and have even been accused of being anti-pot even though I grow it and smoke it.

If anyone has experienced the same thing, I would love to hear about it. Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 06:50 PM

311 posts, read 172,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I grow and smoke marijuana. My wife is not a user, but she has helped me trim in the past. Several years ago she developed a strong reaction to pot. Her symptoms were rapid heart rate, severe involuntary muscle contractions, high squeaky voice, and hyperventilation, and a few other symptoms. This can last for several hours and is very unpleasant for her and me. I am very careful not to smoke in the house and minimize my use to just before bed. It really helps me sleep and the Indica variety I use is very relaxing.

To make matters worse, a number of neighbors grow marijuana and in late August, September and early October, the odor permeates the area. She is thinking of leaving until the area is tolerable for her. My question is: Is this common for some people? I've never heard of it before, and have even been accused of being anti-pot even though I grow it and smoke it.

If anyone has experienced the same thing, I would love to hear about it. Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure how common this is. I think for your wife's sake, you should get rid of it. This is an "easy fix". Just get rid of the plants and maybe smoke in the garage or outside.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:24 PM

5,851 posts, read 1,956,171 times
I already do that. It's the outdoor growing in September and October in the neighborhood that is a concern. Where we live is a natural bowl with steep hills on both sides so air tends to be a little stagnant. She has a gas mask, but she'll probably stay with her mom for awhile and then figure out where else to go. We'll survive it, I was just wondering if anybody else had this situation. Thanks for responding.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,097,933 times
It may seem to correlate but has she been checked by a Doctor? An allergist can confirm or rule out her suspicions with a simple scratch test. The allergist can also offer a remedy if one is available.

Of course, we can become allergic to just about anything at anytime, but its not usual for people to be allergic to marijuana - at least not in the way that you describe and not be using it.

It is not unusual for people to be allergic to anything that produces pollen, but most people dont leave an area because the neighbors are all growing roses in their flower gardens, as an example.

To be honest, the limited symptoms you have given us cover a broad range of physical and mental ailments, including panic attacks, anxiety disorder, acute stress reaction, excessive caffeine use, and actual heart and circulatory issues, hyperthyroidism, insulin reaction/hypoglycemia, so on and etc.

She really needs a complete physical work up, and if necessary a mental assessment as well. She may truly believe it is exposure to the plant/pollen, but that could be coincidental, and she could be putting other more pressing problems to the side by simply blaming what she feels is obvious.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 02-07-2021 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-10-2021, 12:46 AM

18,582 posts, read 6,419,859 times
Marijuana allergy is not common, but yes, it is very real. That's because cannabis is a pollen-bearing plant, and just like any other pollen-bearing plant, some people can have an allergy to it. Science Daily 2015 Press Release

Last edited by Bayarea4; 02-10-2021 at 12:55 AM..

Old 03-13-2021, 12:00 AM

6,534 posts, read 3,540,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post

We haven't smoked pot since the 70's when it was much milder. We grew some, too, from some seeds that were in the plant, but were so naive, we tossed the flowers and just dried the leaves. It was pretty mild.

I don't know how it would affect me now, except to say that I find the skunk variety to be nauseating, and having to close my windows when my neighbor smokes it is a pain. Why not just use edibles?

Old 03-13-2021, 02:40 AM

11,452 posts, read 23,317,397 times
I'm allergic to it. I have asthma attacks when I breathe in someone's smoke. My daughter vomits when she breathes in the smoke from it. We have an immune disorder that causes allergic reactions, so maybe that makes us more prone to it.

Old 03-13-2021, 03:38 AM

9,640 posts, read 4,699,175 times
In my limited understanding.
Mj is a relaxer. Yet my system when introduced to mj in smoke form or foods,often has the following.
Throat closes.
Skin redness.
Sinus headaches.

Far be it to say it's allergies to this public welcomed plant.

Like poison ivy, I tend to avoid it for it's assault on my body. My immune system isn't exactly stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies