Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,977 times

Advertisements

I have had intense allergies for a few years now and every day during spring/fall my head feels as if it is about to explode. I've been receiving allergy shots for about a year now and they've helped, but my chronic headaches still persist.

The methods that actually successfully prevent my headaches have side effects that are unbearable for me. Corticosteroids such as Flonase and Nasacort raise my stress levels to the point that I have insomnia. Antihistamines such as Claritin and Allegra upset my stomach and cause recurrence of my IBS symptoms.

Are there any allergy treatments that you know of that don't cause significant side effects? I've heard of a mast cell stabilizer, Nasalcrom, and it doesn't seem to have any side effects listed. Do any of you have experience with Nasalcrom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 04:11 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Hi!

I remember being prescribed NasalCrom when I was an adolescent and loathed it. It really irritated my already inflamed nasal passages and caused sneezing fits upon application. At the behest of my allergist, I stuck with it for a few months, then refused to use it any longer as instead of giving me relief it made things worse for me.

What worked for me were over a decade of allergy injections, learning to use a neti pot, and regular use of Benadryl for breakthrough allergy attacks. (Mold and mildew will still set off my allergies and cause me days of miserable headaches if I don't head them off at the pass.) Claritin and Allergra are useless for treating my mold-induced allergic attacks, so I always keep a bottle of those pink pills on hand. It doesn't upset my stomach and, if taken when I'm up and about, doesn't make me overly sleepy.

Old 09-14-2021, 04:14 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
have you ever tried a childrens dosage of claritin? i have severe allergies but have to take a childrens dose. no side effects for me.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:53 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Have you tried Singulair? Or maybe hydroxyzine (antihistamine similar to benadryl) to take when you have a headache? The doctor providing the allergy shots should be able to prescribe one of those.

I've used the active ingredient in Nasalcrom, but not as a nasal spray. I have a mast cell disease and it's prescribed as a liquid to mix with water and drink before meals and bedtime. There are side effects with that form of cromolyn sodium.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:00 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
I used Nasalcrom, along with Claritin. When Nasacort became available OTC, I switched to it, and continued to use Claritin. I found Nasacort to be more effective than Nasalcrom. My two experiences with allergy shots were a resounding failure.

Keep the outdoors outdoor as much as possible. This means keeping the windows shut and running the air conditioning 24/7, both in the house and in the car. HEPA filters also help. Wash both your body and your hair before bedtime each night, and use a clothes dryer. Hanging your clothes outside will cause them to be covered in dust and pollen.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:18 AM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
What about excedrin migraine? That's what helps my allergy headaches most and fastest.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,977 times
I tried Nasalcrom. It helps a bit and I haven't experienced any side effects with it. I just gave the 5mg Claritin a try. It hurts my stomach just as bad as the 10mg dose and has caused me to feel anxious and depressed. I wish there were an antihistamine that doesn't have such bad side effects. I think I'll have to stick with Nasalcrom. It doesn't completely solve my allergies, but it is the best I've tried so far in terms of effectiveness vs side effects.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:09 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
What about excedrin migraine? That's what helps my allergy headaches most and fastest.
That gives me the worst reflux, so I imagine that for the OP that will be a no go.

OP have you tried the xlear line of products? It is mostly saline with xylitol. They have a spray, wash, and an extreme congestion one with capsaicin. I find that they are pretty helpful.

That said, a lot of migraines are misdiagnosed as sinus issues. I woke up with a migraine today and felt super congested, but felt extreme fatigue coming on and realized it was probably a migraine after I took some Sudafed. I think about half of people who get migraines suffer associated sinus issues. I know I have real sinus issues too, but perhaps seeing about a migraine treatment medicine would be helpful. I can’t really speak to those since I have not been able to take them successfully, but some people can. When I am desperate, I just take BC powder (aspirin and caffeine) but it is kind of brutal on the stomach. For me, it isn’t as bad as excedrin migraine though.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:40 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadersd View Post
I have had intense allergies for a few years now and every day during spring/fall my head feels as if it is about to explode. I've been receiving allergy shots for about a year now and they've helped, but my chronic headaches still persist.

The methods that actually successfully prevent my headaches have side effects that are unbearable for me. Corticosteroids such as Flonase and Nasacort raise my stress levels to the point that I have insomnia. Antihistamines such as Claritin and Allegra upset my stomach and cause recurrence of my IBS symptoms.

Are there any allergy treatments that you know of that don't cause significant side effects? I've heard of a mast cell stabilizer, Nasalcrom, and it doesn't seem to have any side effects listed. Do any of you have experience with Nasalcrom?
As someone me one with lifelong hardcore allergies, who moved cross country to get away from what you describe...

Have you considered a mental health professional?

I mean, insomnia? IBS? Allergies for a few years (not lifetime)?

Old 09-26-2021, 01:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
If you know what you are allergic to (if it's weeds, grasses, trees, molds) you could also be allergic to foods that are related. For instance, there's a disgusting weed in the fall called mugwort that cross reacts with things like almonds, peaches, apples, celery, and a lot of herbs and more. Breathing it AND eating something related will make you really sick if you are allergic. If you're talking about reflux it could be related to what you're eating.

For medicine, I'm sort of "lucky" in that Allergra will usually help somewhat but also a orescription nasal spray call Astelin. https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1...-nasal/details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies