U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 01:06 PM

655 posts, read 810,689 times

Advertisements

I'm in a real horrible situation here. I am an artist who works with stone and wood. I carved huge sculptures and do fairly well with it. Well, as fate would have it, I'm super allergic to my materials used. This is because when I sculpt, enormous amounts of very fine dust is formed. Dust so fine, it floats in the air like baby powder as it is about the same consistency. I use a high quality dust mask, but I still get the dust all over me and eventually, no matter how hard I try, I breathe some in.

What usually happens is I work for a few days and then I get hit with the most horrible allergy attack ever. So bad I can't get out of bed for 2 days. When I feel the attack coming on, I take clarinex and benedryle. I have to take both at the same time, as this is the only way to reduce the symptoms. Takes about 24 hours to slow the attack down. Clarinex by itself does not stop my attacks.

So my question is, if I keep exposing myself to the known allergen, will it get worse, or just stay the same? If a person is allergic to something, but on allergy meds, thus preventing the symptoms, are they still damaging their immune system? I'm thinking to work with my art for 3 days at a time. I'm thinking to take benedryl and or clarinex a few days prior to working, then work for 3 days while on the meds, then quit for a week or so. Work in cycles like this to prevent a huge attack. I don't want to keep exposing myself to something if there will be long term implications? Can this lead to other more serious ailments?

It is sort of funny, that Calrinex actually has a commercial showing an artist who carves stone. In the commercial the artist is allergic to the stone he works with and they promote Calrinex as a solution.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 02:17 PM

1,076 posts, read 4,119,548 times
You could try taking bee pollen travelmate38. I've read that it can help with allergies because it strengthens the immune system.

You can purchase it from the health food stores. Best to try and get from a local source as it increases it's antiallergenic properties.

There is a very small percentage of people that may be allergic to it, so it's suggested that you try very small doses at first.

I'm sure there are more products beneficial for allergies also. If it was ongoing as you mention, I'd be inclined to go and visit a local health food store with a knowledgable staff and talk to them and see what they might come up with.

In my opinion, better and healthier than taking those other medications.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:44 PM

1,378 posts, read 5,902,215 times
uuuh, sounds to me that you're body is telling you not to do what you're doing.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:49 PM

1,076 posts, read 4,119,548 times
Unfortunately, a fellow I used to work with became so allergic to the chemicals or compounds he worked with being a jewler, that he had to change his line of work.

But probably not what you want to hear ..

Old 05-26-2008, 12:32 AM

12,644 posts, read 19,319,347 times
What about installing an exhaust fan taking inside air out of the area you are working in?
Or even sucking the dust into a vac type unit from the actual work you are doing?
Maybe with an adjustable arm so it could be moved to directly where you are working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies