Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 03:46 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
..... I was late one time and changed it at the 4-month mark. There was noticeably more dust on it.
If that's the case, maybe you should consider getting your ducts professionally cleaned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 04:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,238 times
My HVAC guy told me not to use the higher MERV rated filters. He said use the cheapest, pleated filter you can find. He said the higher rated filters make the system work too hard.

Old 12-13-2023, 04:54 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,559,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
My HVAC guy told me not to use the higher MERV rated filters. He said use the cheapest, pleated filter you can find. He said the higher rated filters make the system work too hard.
But what about dust particles?

Old 12-13-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
If that's the case, maybe you should consider getting your ducts professionally cleaned.
Thanks for the suggestion

Old 12-13-2023, 09:24 PM

2,637 posts, read 1,173,205 times
I changed mine every 3 months. One time I missed a month and it was filthy. Largely due to all the highway traffic and oil company pouring oil in the ground. The hint to me to change the filter was the smell of dust in my home that is always the first indicator to change it. It is expensive but it beats coughing, and getting sick all the time. I never miss the filter change after that.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:29 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I changed mine every 3 months. One time I missed a month and it was filthy. Largely due to all the highway traffic and oil company pouring oil in the ground. The hint to me to change the filter was the smell of dust in my home that is always the first indicator to change it. It is expensive but it beats coughing, and getting sick all the time. I never miss the filter change after that.

Oh, gosh, thanks for reminding me. They will start excavating 14 of the 30ish acres out behind me some time next year. You make a good point that I will likely need to step up my game on a lot of things including changing the air filter (for several years during construction). Gah!

Old 12-14-2023, 05:36 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Every 6 months is adequate. Any more than that and you are throwing money away. For those who say they have allergies, asthma, etc. and change them more often, you are actually allowing more allergens to circulate through your house. The filtering efficiency actually goes up as filters catch lint, hair and other particles because it reduces the size of the openings between the filter fibers. That is why you can hear the air hissing or whistling through the filter if you leave it in too long. For allergies, you are better off leaving the filters in for the longer amount of time possible. The trade off is it also restricts the air flow to some degree and reduces the efficiency of your heat or air due to the slower rate of air flowing through the air handler.
By contrast, electrostatic filters become less efficient as they get dirty.

Old 12-14-2023, 05:45 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
When I got rid of my 16"x25"x4" electrostatic filter, I modified the furnace ductwork to accommodate a larger 20"x25"x4" HEPA filter so that I could keep the flow restriction to a minimum. Even when the electrostatic filter was working properly, I still had to clean the fan motor when I oiled it once a year. This cleaning was no longer necessary once I switched to a HEPA filter.

Old 12-14-2023, 05:47 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
My HVAC installer said to buy the cheapest filters. He said the more expensive ones impede the flow of air and make the system work harder. I change mine about every 3 months and they are visibly dirty. If you get auto ship from a discount filter place, it’s not very expensive.

Old 12-14-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My HVAC installer said to buy the cheapest filters. He said the more expensive ones impede the flow of air and make the system work harder. I change mine about every 3 months and they are visibly dirty. If you get auto ship from a discount filter place, it’s not very expensive.
Same question for you as posted above to the other poster making the same claim...what about dust particles and allergens. It's not only about whether the system is working harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies