Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 06:49 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times

Advertisements

Saline nasal spray...

Washing your face and hands when you come in from outside

Changing clothes after being outside or wear a jacket/sweater to remove once inside... then wash it.

Do not keep windows open... if you do... change pillow cases at bedtime

Allergine reducers... like Fabrese

Air filters.... changed regularly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 07:04 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Allergy shots will work. They will actually CURE your allergies, not treat them. I had such bad allergies develope that I ended up in the ER twice with blood in my eyes from little tiny bilsters that formed on the underside of my eyelids. I'm a runner with no asthma, but I started having trouble breathing whenever I'd run, wheezing chest, etc. Really Really bad allergies. Sinus always driving me crazy, sneezing like a lunatic, etc.

It took probably a 6-8 months for the shots to really make a difference. At about a year my symptoms were gone. I've been on the shots for 4 years. It's a pain in the butt cuz of the time factor, having to go get them once a week, then once every two weeks, but now once a month! The physical pain in the arm is minimal. They are much less painful than vacinations. Sometimes I don't even feel them... really!

I just had an allergy test redone. The scratch test left my arms looking like two giant puffed up red appendages, and this time there was hardly any reaction at all! I'm going to stay on the shots until there is hopefully no reaction so that I don't relapse.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:08 AM

I just re-read the posts... I can't believe no one else has suggested allergy shots! All of you should look into it. You don't have to treat your allergies with medications for the rest of your life, or deal with them, or be a person obsesed with cleaning, no drapes, mattress protecter, boil the sheets in water to kill the mites, get rid of pets, etc.

THERE IS A CURE PEOPLE! THERE IS A CURE!!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:14 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I just re-read the posts... I can't believe no one else has suggested allergy shots! All of you should look into it. You don't have to treat your allergies with medications for the rest of your life, or deal with them, or be a person obsesed with cleaning, no drapes, mattress protecter, boil the sheets in water to kill the mites, get rid of pets, etc.

THERE IS A CURE PEOPLE! THERE IS A CURE!!!!
This can be a costly routine in the beginning... especially if they don't have insurance...

Having to get a shot from one to three times a week for about six months... and paying for each visit.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:51 AM

That is true. I didn't think about the cost. I have good insurance and mine was covered. It is covered by blue/cross, blue/shield, and by tricare, I know. Perhaps other insurance's cover it to. It's cheaper for the insurance company to pay for 5 years of shots than 40 years of 5 prescriptions, the resulting liver damage from all the Rx's, all the nose spray, antibiotics for sinus infections, asthma inhalers, etc.

I did a quick check, it appears an average price is $40 a shot. I never had to go three times a week. I started off with once a week.... but that still adds up. The life long benefits of no allergy symptoms and not having to medicate would be worth it if insurance covered it or is income was high enough. If you have even a $10 Rx co-pay, and are young, the shots will eventually pay for themselves becuase of the life-long of prescriptions you won't have to fill.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:13 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
If pollen and mold are your real trouble allergies, keep your windows shut (painful if you're like me and thrive on fresh air, but it works). Keep mold at bay in the kitchen and bathroom, and in the basement if you have one.

I'm allergic to my two cats. The vacuum cleaner and I are best friends; I use it even on the non-carpeted floors and to dust furniture, baseboards, door panels, windowsills ... Heck, I pick the danged thing up and vacuum the bed.

If you have curtains, you might consider getting rid of them in favor of blinds that you can vacuum.

The only thing I don't vacuum is the cats. They won't stand for it. Spoiled little brats.

Avoid fragrance sprays, or really, any kind of aerosol, if you can. Those things just pump stuff into your nice filtered air, and you never know what's in them or if they'll trigger your allergies.

Get some good filters on your heating/cooling system, your vacuum cleaner ... If you have forced air heat/AC, you can buy filters for each register, too.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies