Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 AM

371 posts, read 1,101,613 times

Advertisements

So after being down for the count for the 3rd time this summer, I finally broke down and went to the allergist yesterday.

A ton of information, 4 prescriptions, and knowing i'm allergic to everything but dogs and ragweed......my head is spinning.

So I was wondering besides medicine, what works/doesn't work for all of you when trying to control your allergies? Special mattress, air purifiers, etc...

Also I tested positive for cats, and have two. Any good tips on how to keep the dander at a minimum. It's not a severe allergy.....and i was surprised because I've always had a cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:59 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
So sorry for your misery. I understand, I am allergic to practically every living thing.

First, keep the cats out of your bedroom. Do not let them sleep with you or sleep on your bed. Wash ALL of your bedding with hot water and buy those allergy cases for them. That should keep the dust mites & things away from you. Wash your carpets with hot steam, (frequently) and, if possible, replace them with laminate or hardwood floors. If you brush your cats, do so outside so that the hair/dander is not released into the air and just making you sicker.

Change the air filter on your heater/air conditioning unit monthly with the special air filters that they have for allergies. I opted to have a whole house air cleaner put on with my furnace, but, it really does not help that much more than just the regular air filters.

I have an additional air cleaner in my bedroom, too. All of my downstairs floors are either laminate or linoleum, no carpet anywhere.

I also have 2 dogs, a cat and a bird...and, am allergic to them all. Just try to keep the hair vacuumed up and would rather try to control my allergies than give up any of them!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 PM

371 posts, read 1,101,613 times
Looks like our Roomba is going to start working overtime.

Thanks for the info. Once I get over this mess that sent me to the doctor it looks like I have some changes to make around the house this weekend.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:33 PM

797 posts, read 3,294,619 times
Get a Hepa machine for your bedroom. We did and worked wonders. Takes all the allergens out of the air when you sleep. Only cost abuot $50 and got it at Lowes (looks like a small humidifier)

Old 08-06-2008, 12:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Use a nasal irrigator (called Neti pots officially). They actually make a small instruement, saw it on Oprah with Dr. Oz, but a baby bulb syringe works just as well. Make a pot of sterile saline solution and when it cools, spritz out your nostrils. It removes all the gunk as well. My allergists had been telling me for years to do this daily but I ignored him, until I had sinus surgery and had to do it to clear the area. Felt wonderful! I'm now a firm believer. You can buy saline solution but it's much cheaper to make your own. There's a recipe somewhere, just cut it down as warm is better than cool. Make it daily. Ahh, to breathe again!

Old 08-06-2008, 01:58 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,645 times
I am highly allergic to cats. My nephews have 2 so if I visit I take an allegra before I leave the house and I am ok.
I had the whole house purifier (plus other things) installed. I was hesitant but it truly has done a world of good. Have asthma as well but since I had it installed have not had to use my inhalers in the house at all and can actually breathe normally.
I wash sheets, towels etc. frequently in hot water. Dusting frequently helps as well.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
green tea

Old 08-06-2008, 03:15 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,645 times
That seems to help everything.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:28 PM

716 posts, read 2,157,595 times
I have one of those Dyson "Animal" vacuums and it's really made a difference. My husband was totally allergic to my cats when he first came to live with us, and now, it's manageable.

We also have pillow and mattress protectors to cut down on the dust mite populations, and we regularly change our filters in our ventilation system.

But diligent cleaning is (unfortunately) the key for us. The more you vacuum up, the less there is to float around and cause trouble.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 AM

4 posts, read 13,337 times
Get serious!!

You have allergies and you have a CAT???

I have porcelain tile throughout, no drapes, leather furniture, no animals, (I LOVE dogs, too).

Take precautions early, bcs these problems only get worse....
Consider having no indoor pets in future..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies