U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 10:54 PM

4,729 posts, read 9,097,304 times

Advertisements

When it comes to gums and mints, besides Altoids (which are still made with sugar), I can tolerate most of the ones with Xylitol and NO other artificial sweeteners or funky fake sugars (like those available from EpicDental.com). For some reason, I don't have any of the negative reactions to Xylitol that I do with every other A.S.; but I also don't use it as a substitute for anything other than gum, mints, toothpaste and mouthwash... so not a lot at any given time.

I get migraines, dizziness and the shakes badly with aspartame and sucralose. If I'm forced to ingest A.S. because there isn't anything else around I'll pony up and go the saccharin route... that just makes me feel a bit nauseated and gives me reflux. But I'll NEVER ingest them long term since they are proven to give me ulcers (been there, done that, got the bill!).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 12,959 times
Hey there..I am new here..i was doing research on Internet and happened upon this site.. It's nice to know that I am not alone..every time I mention that I think I am allergic to artificial sweeteners..people look at me funny..lol..definitely not a laughing matter..I am looking for antacids without artificial sweeteners in them..that's like trying to find a needle in a haystack..if anyone knows of any..it would be much appreciated..thanks!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:03 PM

Hi AnitaLyn, welcome to the forum. I share your pain... literally! Since one of my allergic reactions to artificial sweeteners is GERD and ulcers, imagine my anger to find them in my antacids!

Tums Regular, Ultra and Extra chewable tablets in all flavors contain sucrose (sugar) instead of artificial sweeteners.

Rolaids, Members Mark (Sams Club) and Kirkland (Costco) brands of the comparable chewable antacids all contain artificial sweeteners.

Gaviscon chewable tablets contained sugar the last time I bought some. I can't find it in local stores since I moved though, so I can't verify that they still make it without artificial sweeteners.

None of the swallowable OTC extended antacids/acid reducers like Pepcid AC (famotidine), Zantac OTC (ranitidine), and Priosec OTC (omeprazole) contain sweeteners.

Both Maalox and Mylanta contain artificial sweeteners in all their products, and most of the liquids in any brand contains artificial sweeteners.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:35 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,174,317 times
I have IBS, which is now well controlled through diet. I'm not allergic to artificial sweeteners, but I certainly have an intolerance. They make me feel bloated and sick to my stomach, and often cause diarrhea. I think many people are probably allergic or have problems tolerating them, and don't realize it. And now they're starting to show up more and more often- even in bread! I like sweet things as much as the next person, but not EVERYTHING has to be sweetened!

Someone else mentioned medication- for years whenever I got a cold I would get terrible stomach problems. I finally figured out the DayQuil has artificial sweeteners in it. In fact, I haven't been able to find a cold med that doesn't, including the pill forms.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:23 PM

Both Tylenol (day & night formula) Multi-Symptom Cold Rapid Release Gel caps do not contain artificial sweeteners.

Advil Cold & Sinus LiquiGel caps do not contain artificial sweeteners.

Aleve-D Sinus & Cold caplets do not contain artificial sweeteners.

None of the Sudafed Cold/Congestion/Sinus adult tablet/caplet products contain artificial sweeteners.

All Vicks Nyquil LiquiGels caps, Tylenol Cold & Flu (Severe) "cool burst" caplets, Tylenol Cold Head Congestion (Severe) "cool burst" caplets, Advil Congestion Relief caplets, Dimetapp Cold tablets, and liquids from all brands contain artificial sweeteners.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,174,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Both Tylenol (day & night formula) Multi-Symptom Cold Rapid Release Gel caps do not contain artificial sweeteners.

Advil Cold & Sinus LiquiGel caps do not contain artificial sweeteners.

Aleve-D Sinus & Cold caplets do not contain artificial sweeteners.

None of the Sudafed Cold/Congestion/Sinus adult tablet/caplet products contain artificial sweeteners.

All Vicks Nyquil LiquiGels caps, Tylenol Cold & Flu (Severe) "cool burst" caplets, Tylenol Cold Head Congestion (Severe) "cool burst" caplets, Advil Congestion Relief caplets, Dimetapp Cold tablets, and liquids from all brands contain artificial sweeteners.

That's great information, thank you! I've just been suffering whenever I get a cold or flu. I know the Tylenol 'cool burst' caps gave me the same reaction as the liquid meds.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 PM

No problem. After my last ulcer, I've been an obsessive label reader and went on a quest for "safe" medications I had the same problem with the cool bursts when they came out because I thought they were like the Rapid Release -- surprise, not so!!

Some of the generic store-brands of caplet/tablet cold-allergy-sinus meds are sweetener-free, but you can't ever count on it from one time to the next since they usually buy whatever is cheapest from whichever pharma-corp is selling at the time and then market it under their brand. Makes things real fun to show up at Sam's, Costco or RiteAid only to find out their store brand is the wrong formula this month

Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 12,858 times
Unhappy my daughter

my little girl was born very angry, and stayed like that for a long time. she would have episodes of screaming and being inconsolable. thinking she had colic i gave her remedies they were no help. when she got to 2 and a half i was struggling to get her potty trained. she would wet herself repeatedly. up until she was 5 she was getting though up to 10 changes of clothes a day. i took her to a urologist who said her bladder was not emptying properly and she would grow out of it. he told me it would help if i only allowed her to drink milk or water. it got a little better but there were still major problems. i then looked into what she was having to drink before i cut it all out. she was drinking dilute fruit squash, so i looked at the ingredients they contained sweetener. i had a look at other things she was having and found sweeteners in quite a few products she was having. i cut them out of her diet and she has improved markedly, but has become more sensitive to them. she could not be tested for the allergy because it is a chemical, and it takes up to 4 hours to affect her. so they still think I'm a neurotic mother. my daughters symptoms are different from yours she gets spasm's in her bladder, needs to pee cant release the pee. internal vaginal itching, this causes her to sob and become hysterical. i have looked at so many things she was having and found that there are preservatives e.g. maltodextrin that has the same chemical make up, this also goes for potassium sorbate. maltodextrin is in many savory products, stock cubes, gravy granules, crisps (chips), seasoning. there are sweeteners in some pasta sauces, toothpaste (we get an organic one that has no sweetener) lip balm, coated pills, medicine, bubble bath, shampoo. my daughter cannot go to the cinema to watch a film as there are so many sweeteners in the air it gets into her system within an hour and she gets ill. her allergy is entirely unrecognised by the medical profession.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 12,483 times
I suffered all the way through Secondary school (also known as high school) with Severe Migrains, my doctor ran a brain scan because he was so concerned that I had Migrains everyday. The Migrains would start during the 1st break. After the brain scan showed nothing to worry about the doctor said it was Migrain and gave me pills that reduced the number of migrains but I was still suffering several a week. I stopped drinking diet (sugar free) soda, this seemed to help though I was still getting regular migrains whilst on Pizotifen. My doctor ran tests and had me change my diet in many ways, such as dairy free, sugar free and meet free, none of these made a difference. So he asked me to stop using fragrances, this didnt work, the list went on until he ran out of ideas.

Once I was working I started going out to buy myself a low Kcal lunch, I bought a sugar free soft drink everyday and became ill again with Migrains, in no time at all I was having them everyday, somedays they wouldnt go by the morning so I was taking sick days, I was refused a wage increase due to my sickness record and my manager made threats to dismiss me is I kept taking sick days. Once I stopped drinking sugar free drinks the migrains reduced again, but again were still very frequent. I realised at this point that warning signs of migrain were starting after brushing my teeth, with my tongue and gums swelling, tension in the back of my neck and pressure points on my head throbbing, I checked to see what it was that was in them both that could be causing this reaction.....they both contained Sodium Saccharine. When I took out all artificial sweetners from my diet the migrains reduced to 1 a month.

Today I bought a meal from a well known fast food establishment I was given a Soda, I had asked not to be given diet and yet it was a diet soda that they gave to me. I reacted today far worse than I ever have in the past, my throat, tongue and gums became swollen, my 9 year old who was with me said that my neck had 'grown really big', I took anthistamin and the swelling went down and I was able to breath again, I do however still have a rash on my chest and base of my neck. My face itches.

I try so hard to avoid artificial sweetners and I believe that any food or other product with them in should have a big warning on the front saying 'CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS'.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 AM

3,052 posts, read 3,849,106 times
Light mayonnaise doesn't have artificial sweeteners in it and the waitress didn't "put it" on your sandwich.

Honestly I'm rather suspicious of people who claim they're allergic to things like "artificial sweeteners". Several compounds that have nothing to do with each other serve as non-sugar based sweeteners, why the heck would they provoke the same reaction? And they're always claiming "poisoning" and citing questionable, biased sources on artificial sweeteners.

I find them to be like the OP for the most part, many docs have said nothing is wrong with her, she diagnosed herself and then found one person who was seeing her to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies