U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 PM

4,729 posts, read 9,283,749 times

Advertisements

If you are suffering from chronic or acute symptoms with no immediately identifiable cause, first seek the advice of a medical professional to rule out any known causes for the symptoms.

If you continue to experience these symptoms and suspect that you have a sensitivity, intolerance or allergy to a food substance it is normally recommended to keep a food diary to record what you've eaten (how much and when) and any adverse effects you experience during the day. With this information, you can begin an elimination diet to help determine which, if any, foodstuffs may be contributing to the adverse reactions. You may wish to discuss this with a medical practitioner to make sure that you don't become malnourished during the process and that any subsequent challenge tests can be monitored.

Non-allergic food hypersensitivities are often difficult to pinpoint because a combination of foods/chemicals, the forms ingested, or exposure amount/frequency may also be factors. Keeping a food journal during elimination and challenges is the best way to narrow these down.

Allergy testing for substances for which they have been developed and elimination diets for those that cannot be conventionally tested will normally uncover suspected foods. But be warned that most food and chemical sensitivities and intolerances (i.e. things that don't cause a testable allergic immune response) are not medically recognized, and are often ascribed to psychological origins. Regardless of whether your doctor gives you a diagnosis or whether it is believed that your reactions are physiological, psychosomatic, or psychological; as long as you are not in danger of malnutrition, there is nothing harmful in eliminating foods that you have personal anecdotal evidence causes you adverse reactions when you consume them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,272 times
I also get reactions to artificial sweetners such as sorbitol, splenda, aspartame, sucralose.
The other day I made the stupid mistake of eating some candy that my friend gave me and I ended up visitng the bathroom, because I had really loose stools. It laos gives me heaches and stomach cramps.

The hard thing is my friend really does not believe that I get reactions to it. So how do you get across to friends who not believe that you get reactions to artificial sweeenter.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,426,541 times
Sorbitol is in a different class than aspartame (Equal/Nutrasweet) and sucralose (Splenda). Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol and it's known for it's laxative properties. It's used widely in sugar-free foods meant for diabetics and low carb dieters. Sorbitol and malitol and notorious for causing gastric distress. While I generally try to avoid sucralose and aspartame, I can take it in very small doses, but I won't touch anything with sorbitol at all!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 AM

1,307 posts, read 4,999,083 times
No allergic but they make me sick and cant STAND the taste.

Greenchili

Old 07-22-2012, 10:22 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,339,601 times
I was diagnosed with IBS at 13 and one of my big triggers is artificial sweeteners. I wouldn't say I'm allergic, but I can't tolerant them without bloating, diarrhea, and horrible pain. I do find I have to carefully scan all labels because you never know what you'll find in products these days. Bread does not need artificial sweeteners (or corn syrup)!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlbutterfly View Post
The hard thing is my friend really does not believe that I get reactions to it. So how do you get across to friends who not believe that you get reactions to artificial sweeenter.
Get sick from it at their house.

Seriously. I was staying with a friend who thought it was all in my head, so intentionally fed me something they hid an artificial sweetener in to prove my delusion. Yeah, well, after a couple hours of me sitting on the john with a garbage can between my knees and a migraine so bad I wouldn't let them turn on the lights, and them worrying about whether to call the ambulance.... they stopped doubting me.

But really, you don't need to justify to anyone why you do or don't eat something. It's your body and your choice. You know you have reactions to certain foods, so what does it matter if anyone else believes you. Just don't eat or drink anything one of the doubters serves you!

Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,339,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Get sick from it at their house.

Seriously. I was staying with a friend who thought it was all in my head, so intentionally fed me something they hid an artificial sweetener in to prove my delusion. Yeah, well, after a couple hours of me sitting on the john with a garbage can between my knees and a migraine so bad I wouldn't let them turn on the lights, and them worrying about whether to call the ambulance.... they stopped doubting me.

But really, you don't need to justify to anyone why you do or don't eat something. It's your body and your choice. You know you have reactions to certain foods, so what does it matter if anyone else believes you. Just don't eat or drink anything one of the doubters serves you!

+1000. My mom used to doubt that I can handle dairy products and gave me mashed potatoes made with milk (I make mine with broth.) Surprise, I got sick! More importantly, who cares if I drink milk or not? Why is refusing a food for ANY reason justification to TRICK someone into consuming it? This kind of things drives me crazy and is a sign of a bad relationship.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:55 PM

I run into this quite frequently since there are several things that I just don't want to consume for whatever reason. Like alcohol... I don't drink because it makes me evil and I hate the way it makes me feel afterwards. I don't have a problem cooking or preserving with it, or other people drinking around me, or even having one beer after a hot day of yard work, but I choose not to drink frequently or in quantity. Why does this matter to anyone else?!?! Why does anyone care that I limit wheat, or soy, or processed foods?! I'm not telling you that you can't have it... just don't serve it to me, thanks!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 AM

545 posts, read 850,966 times
Yes, artificial sweetener makes me extremely ill almost immediately. As little as the amount in a piece of gum turns me green.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,180 times
Default Antacid without sucralose

I thought I was alone, but I too can not tolerate anything with artificial sweeteners. I use to use Rolaid's as I have had ulcers since I was a child. Then Rolaid's went off the market. So I used equate or tums but found my heartburn was now replaced by terrible stomach cramps & unbearable gas. I do not want to take Zantac or any of those pills as they have been linked to bone cancer & i have already had cancer twice. I just want to be able to sleep lying down without heartburn. I pray if and when Rolaid's returns it does not include these man made poisons called artifical sweeteners. Does anyone know of a tablet form peppermint antacid with natural sugar? I don't care about getting fat as much as I want to sleep. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies