U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 11:38 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,267,293 times

Advertisements

I tried the new Monkfruit sweetener in the orange box the other day. My face blew up like balloon. I could see my cheeks without looking in a mirror!
I can't have Stevia, Agave, or Aspartame, or any of the other processed sweeteners, either (um, "digestive" issues).
I stick with cane sugars and pure maple syrup.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,162 times
I am allergic to sweeteners too, they always give me terrible headaches, so I am always careful with what I eat or drink, but this time I bought a four pack South Beach Diet smoothie; it said that doesn't contain artificial sweeteners. I had one in the morning and I had the sweetener metallic taste in my mouth, but because I read that it doesn't contain artificial sweeteners, I drink it all, and in the afternoon I had one of those horrible headaches, next day, same happened, so I got home to read the ingredients in the smothie label, it contains Stevia :-/ I guess we need to be very careful with what this people write in the labels and what the products really contains.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:56 PM

4,405 posts, read 10,111,792 times
Technically, it doesn't contain artificial sweeteners as Stevia is a plant. Doesn't mean it can't affect you the same way though. Any diet product is going to contain some form of non caloric sweetener. I found that I had to give up almost all sweet drinks unless I wanted the calories too. Mostly it's not worth it.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:10 AM

5 posts, read 22,090 times
I recently bought some fried apple pies made by a famous doughnut shop. They were in boxes in Walmart. I've known for years that I am allergic to artificial sweeteners. After two bouts of diarrhea (after eating a pie) I began to wonder what was in the pies. I read the contents and found that hey contained Xantham gum, an artificial sweetener used to thicken the juices of the pies. Needless to say I quit buying them. My wife eats them and has no side effects whatsoever.

Xanthan Gum is a plant-based thickening and stabilizing agent. It is named for the bacteria, Xanthomonas campestris, which plays a crucial role in this description. Technically speaking, xanthan gum is a polysaccharide, which is just a fancy way to say "a string of multiple sugars." To create xanthan gum, the Xanthomonas campestris bacterium is allowed to ferment on a sugar. The result is a gel that is then dried and milled to create the powder substance.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:12 PM

135 posts, read 143,709 times
I'm not allergic to the artificial sweetners, but I am allergic to stevia! It makes my lips and gums swell. It's a shame, because it tastes good and it would be nice to have a nice guilt free sweetner for drinks, but what can you do?

Apparently it hits people hard who have a ragweed allergy, but I don't have high grass/weed allergies so I have no idea what's going on there. Maybe because it's so concentrated?

Old 02-25-2014, 05:38 PM

23,112 posts, read 22,174,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinska View Post
I'm not allergic to the artificial sweetners, but I am allergic to stevia! It makes my lips and gums swell. It's a shame, because it tastes good and it would be nice to have a nice guilt free sweetner for drinks, but what can you do?

Apparently it hits people hard who have a ragweed allergy, but I don't have high grass/weed allergies so I have no idea what's going on there. Maybe because it's so concentrated?
Interesting, and unfortunate for you.

It could hit anyone with allergies in the Compositae (Asteraceae) family. Daisies, chrysanthemums, marigolds.

The Compositae or Asteraceae family itself is huge--

List of Asteraceae genera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and it contains ragweed, asters, and even yarrow which is both wild and domesticated--and lots more.

Grasses would have nothing to do with it because they are in a different family of their own with wheat and corn and the other cereal grains.

For those of us with allergies to these plants, we might not be able to consume stevia when these plants are pollinating yet might be fine when they are out of season. It's called overload.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 AM

5 posts, read 22,090 times
Default "claim to be allergic"

All I can say is that you shouldn't criticize your neighbor until you have walked a mile in his shoes. I am allergic to artificial sweeteners. A national restaurant chain served me an apple pie desert with ice-cream that contained Xanthan gum and a particular type of vanilla bean extract. I immediately broke out in hives the size of my thumbnail, itching terribly like I had fire ants on me, and almost immediate diarrhea. So be careful if you ever do walk in my shoes, they may be full poop.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 AM

566 posts, read 970,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Technically, it doesn't contain artificial sweeteners as Stevia is a plant. Doesn't mean it can't affect you the same way though. Any diet product is going to contain some form of non caloric sweetener. I found that I had to give up almost all sweet drinks unless I wanted the calories too. Mostly it's not worth it.
I tend to use alternative sweetening just to keep my sugar under control.

Organic leaf stevia without ANY added items, along with a bit of organic cane sugar is what I have been using.

Xylitol from BIRCH - not from crappy corn. Is also a good one. Be sure to keep away from pets, it is poisonous to them.

RAW HONEY. Especially in my apple cider vinegar drinks.

Anything that comes from the EARTH and not some billion dollar corporation that sends mixed messages to get you to buy their lab formatted junk. Why I have heard they are using aborted babies to help with sweetener messages - on the kidney cells. Pepsi uses them. I believe they were to be in the product in 2013? Campbells quit Senomyx.

I would be very careful with what I ingest. Especially today. If it is made in a lab, forget about it.

Maybe it IS the modified corn, soy, potatoes, canola, cotton, wheat that is making us more susceptible--reactive - to any thing - these days.
It isn't like there was ANY testing of the modified junk. Ever. None. Zip.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,883 times
Default Don't forget gum and sugar free candy!

I am 76 years old and never knew what allergies were; now I know. To get rid of aftertastes and dry mouth I went hog wild on sugar free hard candy and chewing gum. A week ago I was treated for severe swelling of the root of my tongue and the surrounding areas. After treatment (Prednison, Zantac, Benadryl) I was OK for several days and last night I had to make another trip to ER, this time with my lips. This is a tentative conclusion, based on only two incidents, but I hope that now that I foreswear the above goodies, it will be the last. Stay tuned.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:43 AM

336 posts, read 353,622 times
Yes aspartame is a alcohol based sweetener has a neurological impact from
metabolizing wood alcohol to the brain nearly instantly resulting a spasm
of the optic nerve blinding my wife for a number of minutes (diet Pepsi).
My daughter and wife had severe headaches also. There is documentation
of strokes, exacerbation of arteritis (temperal) and diabetes. Futhermore
Aspertame is in many products often as a hidden ingredent and can then
combine into a dangerous fatal mix. When used in diet sodas that have a
PH of 2.5 extremely acidic can be a anti alkline factor assocated with a feed-
cancers. People drinking this combination also are dealing with the leaching
of plastic especially when the bottles are displayed in sun or heat even in
truck delivery, car storage,backpacks or beach as examples making it a
carcinogen. The artificial sweeteners chosen by manuacturers are a health
hazard and maybe one of the keys to a trip to the obiturary page!

Last edited by Inattentive; 07-20-2014 at 01:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies