U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,194 times

Advertisements

I feel your frustration all to well. I too have went through a lot trying to find what was causing my heart palpitations/fluttering. Finally it was narrowed down to the artificial sweeteners causing this long frustration. I would reacte to the smallest amount too. I had to switch my tooth paste, lip gloss, mouth wash, and all my food supply, but all is well now. It is very scary going through this, so I feel your frustration.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 12:27 PM

28,796 posts, read 11,575,538 times
I avoid those artificial sweeteners and so do my friends. Two friends are dealing with afib (palpitations) and one feels it's from a time of taking higher doses of iburprofen. I was taking this NSaid for pain and found it kept my BP elevated. I'm off it. I've had no heart issues.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,150 times
Yes, I am allergic to artificial sweeteners and found a cream that works great on my hives

Old 11-16-2016, 12:26 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,951,344 times
Strangely, I am more affected by sucralose (Splenda) than other artificial sweeteners. Even flavor enhancers like MSG don't bother me as much as this artificial sweetener. After ingesting sucralose, I get a bad headache that lasts for days. I always read labels, but over the past couple of years, many products have added it, so it's important to check labels on items regularly purchased. Now it's added to most liquid cold medicines and cough drops.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,061 times
Angry Always doubting the person whose illness you can't see.

I just went straight to my fridge and read the label of my Light Miracle Whip and it has two kinds of artificial sweeteners in it.

This comment makes me so angry. I don't know what you're talking about when you say that there are several "compounds" that have nothing to do with each other serve as non-sugar based sweeteners.

That is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about Sucralose. Aspartame. Xilitol. Acesulfame Potassium.

If you felt the effects of these horrible A.S., you might not be quite so flippant about the whole thing.

I've been reading entries for hours and have yet to come across ONE siting being "POISONED" or siting "Questionable, biased sources".

How do you think they diagnosed Fibromyalgia or Narcolepsy or Lupus or Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? People had symptoms and signs that the doctor's had never seen before. But more and more they were seeing them and we're finally able to come up with a diagnosis. The same thing is happening with Artificial Sweeteners.

Open your eyes, ears and heart. And get a better attitude while you're at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Light mayonnaise doesn't have artificial sweeteners in it and the waitress didn't "put it" on your sandwich.

Honestly I'm rather suspicious of people who claim they're allergic to things like "artificial sweeteners". Several compounds that have nothing to do with each other serve as non-sugar based sweeteners, why the heck would they provoke the same reaction? And they're always claiming "poisoning" and citing questionable, biased sources on artificial sweeteners.

I find them to be like the OP for the most part, many docs have said nothing is wrong with her, she diagnosed herself and then found one person who was seeing her to agree.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:19 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,019,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophbelle View Post
I just went straight to my fridge and read the label of my Light Miracle Whip and it has two kinds of artificial sweeteners in it.

This comment makes me so angry. I don't know what you're talking about when you say that there are several "compounds" that have nothing to do with each other serve as non-sugar based sweeteners.

That is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about Sucralose. Aspartame. Xilitol. Acesulfame Potassium.

If you felt the effects of these horrible A.S., you might not be quite so flippant about the whole thing.

I've been reading entries for hours and have yet to come across ONE siting being "POISONED" or siting "Questionable, biased sources".

How do you think they diagnosed Fibromyalgia or Narcolepsy or Lupus or Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? People had symptoms and signs that the doctor's had never seen before. But more and more they were seeing them and we're finally able to come up with a diagnosis. The same thing is happening with Artificial Sweeteners.

Open your eyes, ears and heart. And get a better attitude while you're at it.

Each one of those things is a different chemical compound. The chances a single person would be allergic to all those disparate compounds is slim to none. I think that's what she was saying.

(EDIT - just to avoid further confusion, I want to clarify that your body is made out of a multitude of different chemical compounds. People seem the think the word "chemical" means "artificial").

Old 02-22-2018, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 867 times
Note that I have the problem with artificial sweeteners and SLS, Sodium Laurel Sulfate. That item is in Toothpaste, Mouthwash, and is an inactive ingredient in many OTC medications. Read the labels. I truly believe that many of us are sensitive/allergic to chemicals. Even the sweeteners labeled as coming from a plant are actually manufactured from the plant, not a part of the plant (I researched it, because so many people kept telling me that it was natural, and I should try it).

My doctor, and my dentist could not help me solve the horrible blisters inside my mouth. It felt like someone had lit a match. This was caused by an accidental serving of a diet soda, followed by taking generic ibuprofen with an inactive SLS, and brushing my teeth with a brand name toothpaste, and using a brand name mouth wash (all with SLS.) To try to ease the pain. My tongue was swelling, and I was chewing on it in my sleep, because of TMJ, that I was treating with the ibuprofen. (see the circle?)

Finally, I searched the internet, and found an article about SLS, and read the labels.

The waitress had given me a diet soda, and I took a sip before I knew. That started the problem. I then followed the directions of my dentist ..... and the horrible process began. The sweetener and the SLS attacked me.

I have avoided SLS, and continued to avoid sweeteners ..... and the problem gone.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:51 PM

28,796 posts, read 11,575,538 times
SLS is pretty nasty stuff, people have no idea. I make my own toothpaste with coconut oil and for coffee sweetener, stevia. No problem. Glad you found your solution.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:13 PM

18,715 posts, read 19,018,802 times
I don't know if technically I have an allergic reaction to artificial sweeteners..... but I sure respond poorly to them. I get like a mildly sick feeling whenever I use them, which is rarely. And if I drink a sugarfree drink with an artificial sweetener, uck, I get nauseated and gassy, bleeech.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,833 times
Default allergy

hello,

I have sent you a friend request, this is my first time on this site, don't know how it works, I wont tell you for my my experiences, perhaps we could chat in our messages box. my username is dawnm08. if you reply to me and I don't reply back, please write me a note on this thread, and I will reply to you.

take care and I look forward to hearing from you.

dawnm08
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies