U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:37 AM

109 posts, read 59,292 times

Advertisements

I think I may be allergic to artificial sweeteners. I can’t use the packets or have it in diet soda. I don’t break out in hives or get rashes, but I feel bad after consumption. It doesn’t happen right away, but after a couple of uses. I never thought of artificial sweetener being in foods. I always thought the foods that contained it were clearly labeled as part of the advertising. This is interesting to know it can be an ingredient in multiple food items.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,073,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGal View Post
I think I may be allergic to artificial sweeteners. I can’t use the packets or have it in diet soda. I don’t break out in hives or get rashes, but I feel bad after consumption. It doesn’t happen right away, but after a couple of uses. I never thought of artificial sweetener being in foods. I always thought the foods that contained it were clearly labeled as part of the advertising. This is interesting to know it can be an ingredient in multiple food items.
Yes you have to look at the label, you'll find them in all sorts of places.

However, it is virtually impossible to be allergic to "artificial sweeteners" as they are a bunch of diverse molecules - all quite different. The chances that you would happen to be allergic to all those different molecules at the same time is highly unlikely.

You may want to figure out which one is causing you problems.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,494 times
Stevia and Truvia - while proclaiming they are not made from artificial ingredients, are made from a plant that a large percentage of people are allergic to: RAGWEED! After proclaiming for months and months how wonderful this new sweetener was, I began with microscopic itching all over my body, to extreme itching all over plus a bout of vertigo (attributed to the allergic reaction) that I have not gotten over in the past year… All caused from my allergy to ragweed. There needs to be some warning on this product to vanyone who is allergic To this plant as I can put you into anaphylactic shock. Unfortunately truvia/stevia is being added to many food products without being named on the labels. How do I bring this to the attention of the food and health administration?
Since I stopped using this ragweed by-product, I have had a much greater sensitivity to all other artificial sweeteners - and I am itching excessively after just finishing a bowl of fat free yogurt sprinkled with Splenda. As a result of my hypoglycemia and pre-diabetes, I cannot use regular sugar, honey, etc...
Any suggestions...are there any allergy tests for artificial sweeteners?
Down South in Dixie,
Lisette

Old 11-26-2018, 12:16 AM

28,796 posts, read 11,761,734 times
I use only Stevia in small amounts for my coffee and I seem fine.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:52 AM

30,786 posts, read 33,169,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notary4nola View Post
Stevia and Truvia - while proclaiming they are not made from artificial ingredients, are made from a plant that a large percentage of people are allergic to: RAGWEED! After proclaiming for months and months how wonderful this new sweetener was, I began with microscopic itching all over my body, to extreme itching all over plus a bout of vertigo (attributed to the allergic reaction) that I have not gotten over in the past year… All caused from my allergy to ragweed. There needs to be some warning on this product to vanyone who is allergic To this plant as I can put you into anaphylactic shock. Unfortunately truvia/stevia is being added to many food products without being named on the labels. How do I bring this to the attention of the food and health administration?
Since I stopped using this ragweed by-product, I have had a much greater sensitivity to all other artificial sweeteners - and I am itching excessively after just finishing a bowl of fat free yogurt sprinkled with Splenda. As a result of my hypoglycemia and pre-diabetes, I cannot use regular sugar, honey, etc...
Down South in Dixie,
Lisette
Which products have stevia added without it being on the label?

Old 11-26-2018, 01:36 AM

13,211 posts, read 6,699,164 times
Quote:
Since I stopped using this ragweed by-product, I have had a much greater sensitivity to all other artificial sweeteners - and I am itching excessively after just finishing a bowl of fat free yogurt sprinkled with Splenda.
?If you know you are sensitive to artificial sweeteners why do you use them?

Old 11-26-2018, 12:03 PM

1,025 posts, read 467,112 times
Quote:
Down South in Dixie,
Lisette
I have heard of others having severe bladder pain from artificial sweeteners

Old 05-01-2019, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,255 times
My mother and I are very allergic to saccharin. My mother breaks out in hives and it makes my throat swell shut. Be careful of toothpaste and gum, almost all of them have saccharin in them. My favorite safe toothpaste is Tom's of Maine and it is fairly easy to find. My best advice to you is read ingredients on everything you use. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2019, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
Wow I know that this is an older thread, but I am allergic to all of those sweeteners and epipen dependant. I have never tried stevia. Did you ever try It? I've never talked to anyone else that has this. Juice is the most frustrating thing. Have to read the label everytime

Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 AM

4,465 posts, read 10,157,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallpkg View Post
Wow I know that this is an older thread, but I am allergic to all of those sweeteners and epipen dependant. I have never tried stevia. Did you ever try It? I've never talked to anyone else that has this. Juice is the most frustrating thing. Have to read the label everytime
Technically, stevia is a plant so it's not artificial. However, most stevia based sweeteners have very little actual stevia in them - they are mostly ethyritol, which is classified as a "naturally occurring sugar alcohol" but when you read how it's made, it's not not really all that natural. That said, you can usually buy packets of pure stevia from health food stores. I've used it - to me it has a slightly bitter aftertaste and doesn't provide the same type of sweetness as sugar. For someone who is very averse to artificial sweeteners and doesn't want to consume sugar, honey or agave, it would be worth trying as long as you stick to the 100% pure stevia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies