U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:19 PM

15,951 posts, read 33,668,717 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I are both "allergic" to artificial sweeteners! He gets migraines, vision loss, agitation, stomach cramps, I get dizzy, nauseous, diarrhea, and heart palpitations. I put the word "allergic" in quotes, because artificial sweeteners are akin to pesticides, they are man-made chemical that have NO business in a human body! The big chemical companies won't tell you this, as it would hurt their bottom line - and the poor unsuspecting consumer assumes our government wouldn't allow anything on the market that would hurt us!

Anyone trying to be healthy or lose weight should eat natural foods; by natural I mean don't buy processed foods with all sorts of additives, you just can't b e sure what is in it. I read labels of EVERYTHING I buy. Be sure to avoicd corn syrup and corn sugar products also, these are not healthy.

As far as stevia goes, I haven' tried it, but I believe it's perfectly safe, it's a plant or herb and you get it in health stores. Frankly, though, I feel that if you want something sweet, just use a little of REAL cane sugar or honey, or something provided you aren't diabetic. Then you will feel satisfied and your body won't have unnatural cravings because you tricked it with the artificial junk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 05:28 PM

566 posts, read 970,617 times
Quote:
Anyone else allergic to artificial sweeteners?
Yes and many of the other additives and synthetic things in prepared foods. I would get terrible migraines.
Was tested for allergies and some were a hit mostly for environmentals. So I try to eat as
pure and untouched food/drink as possible. Organic as much as I can. (organic cane sugar if necessary)
Even my wine is organic.
I have rid myself of sinus probs, acid reflux, migraines have reduced and my stomach probs have improved. Good health to you!!!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 PM

526 posts, read 1,189,370 times
Weird... Hmm, I'm allergic to those Strawberry Shortcake Good Humour Bars. I have no idea what's in them, but the doctor seemed to believe it was the artificial strawberry flavoring.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:05 PM

4,248 posts, read 9,879,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorose View Post
I was just wondering how unusual this allergy is. I went through an extensive series of tests to determine what I was allergic to when I started developing hives and large areas of swelling. The tests showed environmental allergies but no food allergies. I cleaned my living quarters with bleach. I covered my bed and pillows with plastic covers. I still had allergic reactions. They gradually became so bad that I was in the ER every weekend. Since some of the swellings were on my eyes and mouth, I would joke that soon people would think that I was just using allergies as a way to cover up my boyfriend beating me up.. Eventually after I went to a whole team of doctors (who ran all the tests again plus more with the same results) I was told that I was beyond medical knowledge and that there was no way of treating me. I then went to a dermatologist. She put me on a very strict diet and after two weeks I was to add back one thing at a time that I normally consumed. The first thing that I added back was diet sodas. I soon after started to break out in hives. I told the doctor this and she agreed that I was allergic to artificial sweeteners. I started reading labels and found that even if it does not state that it is "diet" or reduced sugar it can still contain artificial sweeteners. Even Chapstick contains artifical sweeteners. I have already lost two jobs because of this allergy. I even got into an argument with a girl at a restaurant because she put light mayonnaise on my sandwich. Sorry to ramble on but this has been so frustrating. Does anyone else have this problem or any other unusual allergy? People with the most common allergies have support groups so maybe we can form one? Anyone else want to get their frustrations off their chests?
In my expereince artificail sweetners are awful, they are so much worse for you than reported. They give me terrible symptoms, some like whe I eat MSG. My naturopath recommends that no one eat them, instead try stevia (I like the Green Leaf brand, and it really does vary by brand), and another is Xylitol, which you may or may not be allergic to, I believe it is made from birch trees.

At least you foound the culprit, good luck!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:37 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,806,432 times
I'm completely allergic to Splenda. I've eaten it 3 times and each time I had stomach pain so severe I almost went to the ER. After 3 times, I finally learned my lesson and I haven't touched the stuff since. I believe it is poisonous to my body.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:48 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,802,543 times
Well, Diet Coke with aspartame has (or used to have) a warning label about brain damage to people with a certain condition "Phenylketonurics," although I think they reworded the warning. If it can affect some people so severely, I would try to avoid artificial sweetners if possible. They don't taste very good anyway. I use turbinado sugar, which is unrefined pure cane sugar crystals.

I recently got some microwave popcorn and found they put artificial sweetener in it. I thought it tasted funny. When did they start putting sweetening in to microwave popcorn anyway.

Last edited by f_m; 11-02-2008 at 06:58 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 PM

106 posts, read 626,027 times
OMG! I had not heard about the microwave popcorn having it so I will definitely be on the look out. You would think that with all the adverse affects that so many people are having that the FDA would reevaluate their approval of it. How do we go about bringing this to their attentions? I am certain that we are just a small sample of the many people who are affected by these awful chemicals.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,806,432 times
Another product that has sucralose (aka Splenda) is Airborne...the dietary supplement. I bought the lemon lime flavor and I was surprised to see that in the ingredient list.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 PM

3,885 posts, read 7,585,471 times
I'm also allergic to artificial sweetners. I believe my allergy is mostly to Splenda/Sucralose, but I've cut out all others just in case. I also had the vision problems and migraines, but in addition my blood sugar levels dropped into the low 40's.
I now read nutritional labels religiously because Splenda has saturated the market. I don't understand how something that is a chloracarbon can be called "natural".

Old 11-04-2008, 03:28 AM

10,353 posts, read 23,215,115 times
Stevia is not bad, it's good. An herb. The only people warning others to stay away from it was the FDA. The FDA recommends nutrasweet and splenda instead. Can you tell they have a deal with the artificial sweetener companies?
Stevia can't do any harm. It's natural. Like sugar. I use it in many flavors. The liquid drops taste best. I have valencia orange, cinnamon and lemon flavors currently.

Now as for aspartame, splenda and the other harmful artificial sweeteners, say splenda for one. I break out in hives, get short of breath, heart starts pounding.. I had a severe allergic reaction to it once, thought I would die. This was from eating ice cream sweetened with it. Never ate that junk again.
They put that junk in everything..cold medicines, listerine breath strips, toothpaste, mouthwash, anything where you can ingest it. Ice cream, pudding, snacks of all sorts, mints, etc. They market it to kids with the cutesy little commercials saying splenda tastes like sugar because it's made from sugar. They forget to tell you it also has chlorine in it. Like taking your sugar into a swimming pool.

When I used to use nutrasweet, i would get foggy thinking, experience vertigo sitting at my desk, feel off most of the time. I finally did the process of elimination and figured it out.
So these days i just use sugar and stevia. Maple syrup too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies