U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:43 PM

4,705 posts, read 10,407,354 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd share my recent issue with Splenda. I've never been anti-artificial sweeteners. I avoided Aspartame, but never worried about Splenda. I went to see a urologist because I was having weird pains and cramps with my bladder. He told me to cut out caffeine but I was drinking a lot of Splenda sweetened things instead. My symptoms were not abating so I tried giving up the Splenda and low and behold, all my bladder problems went away. I've even added some coffee back in and I am not having the same problems I was before. I guess I will avoid it from here on out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 03:10 PM

5,066 posts, read 14,844,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I don't have the classic allergic reaction like hives or swelling, but I noticed several years ago that artificial sweetners drop my blood sugar levels quickly. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia when I was 6 years old so it's been life long attempt to deal with it.
I've had hypoglycemia for about 15 years now. I can't eat anything with Aspartame, it always makes my blood sugar drop, too. Plus I get bladder issues. I thought I was some kind of weird oddity, but now I see I am not alone!

Interestingly though, Splenda doesn't bother me, just Aspartame. It really makes you stop and think, with so many people getting so many kinds of reactions from artificial sweeteners. My father gets migraines with Aspartame, too. Obviously artificial sweeteners aren't entirely safe.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:25 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,363,858 times
Splenda gives me an instant and severe migraine.

Aspartame makes it extremely difficult for me to breathe.

I can't believe how many products these things are in. Imo, MANY more people react than we know, or even they themselves know. My hubby doesn't react immediately, but if he drinks diet pop for a couple weeks, he gets severe joint pain and muscle aches. He stops and they go away. I think most people don't put things like that together. It's too difficult when it's not an immediate reaction, and there isn't any way to test for it.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:25 AM

6 posts, read 50,072 times
i try so hard to stay away from the stuff, but there are times where i won't think about something from a bakery. Like the cakes at most of the grocery stores have sorbitol in them. I never thought of cross contamination though. For the most part I do pretty well, unfortunately, when someone around me put a piece of sugarless gum in there mouth, I get a foggy brain and have a hard time breathing.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:10 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,764,610 times
I'm watching a video right now called "Sweet Misery". It's on google videos and it's all about the toxicity of aspartame.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,513 times
I get almost stroke like symptoms from artificial sweetners. Slurred speech, numbness, swelling and tightness in the face, tongue, and neck. i just started taking Lamictal ODT, quick dissolve tablets, and it has sucrulose. I have been on it for 2 weeks and started noticing the symptoms getting worse daily. I was not given the info pack with the medication, so I didn't even think about it til it got to the point that I can hardly speak or move my mouth or swallow. I had to look up ingrediemts on the companies website to find ingredients. The oral tablets I used to take does not have artificial sweetner in it. And it worked fine so I am not sure why Doctor put me on the ODT. I have such a bad reaction to it that I have to literally read the label of everything I injest, food, drinks, candy, medicines. If it says 0g sugar, it has artificial sweetners in it and I can not have it, or risk and expemsive emergency room visit.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 AM

566 posts, read 1,002,486 times
Anything at anytime can cause a negative reaction. But why chance it with something synthetic?
Use organic, local honey or nothing at all.

Too much sugar - in any form - can wreak havoc. Let's just say no. (To too much sugar)

Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 AM

345 posts, read 1,545,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
Anything at anytime can cause a negative reaction. But why chance it with something synthetic?
Use organic, local honey or nothing at all.

Too much sugar - in any form - can wreak havoc. Let's just say no. (To too much sugar)

honey IS simple sugar

Table sugar has 48 calories per teaspoon

Honey has 65

Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,402 times
Stevia and equal are the worst..all of them are bad..Just about everyone in my family has reactions to these sweeteners. I avoid them because they are toxic to Intercystial cystits,,but before they would make me nervous..I'd rather just cut back on sugar in my tea and take a couple extra laps when swimming to burn it off then to suffer with that

Old 05-17-2010, 05:04 AM

4,705 posts, read 10,407,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperry3princess View Post
Stevia and equal are the worst..all of them are bad..Just about everyone in my family has reactions to these sweeteners. I avoid them because they are toxic to Intercystial cystits,,but before they would make me nervous..I'd rather just cut back on sugar in my tea and take a couple extra laps when swimming to burn it off then to suffer with that
Stevia is a plant. I have some growing in my garden. It doesn't mean you can't be allergic to it, but it's not a chemical, it's a natural substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies