U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 9,007 times

Advertisements

I think that I am allergic to sweeteners. In February I started eating more "diet" food, 100 calorie items etc. Over the past months my ears have started roaring. I have had tinnitus for about 20 years. I could deal with the ringing but it has turned to roaring which is just too much. I have headaches constantly and have now added vertigo. The one change in my life has been the addition of these sweeteners. I am going to get off of them and hope that my symptoms go away. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms. I am otherwise very healthy and active but this is so depressing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 03:21 PM

4,755 posts, read 12,988,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemite43 View Post
I think that I am allergic to sweeteners. In February I started eating more "diet" food, 100 calorie items etc. Over the past months my ears have started roaring. I have had tinnitus for about 20 years. I could deal with the ringing but it has turned to roaring which is just too much. I have headaches constantly and have now added vertigo. The one change in my life has been the addition of these sweeteners. I am going to get off of them and hope that my symptoms go away. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms. I am otherwise very healthy and active but this is so depressing.
My mother gets vertigo when she drinks Diet Coke. Definitely cut out the artificial sweeteners and see if your symptoms improve.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:35 PM

4,729 posts, read 9,272,919 times
Yes, I am allergic to artificial sweeteners - particularly aspartame (nutrisweet) and sucralose (splenda). In addition to completely spacing me out and making it nearly impossible to think straight, I get rashes and killer migraines. They also were responsible for two ulcers I developed on a doctor-supervised low cal diet... no more protein shakes with artificial sweeteners for me!!

Saccharin doesn't seem to cause these problems, but it does give me a little acid stomach and there is still a little debate as to whether it causes cancer.

Cut the artificial sweeteners and see if your tinnitus improves. If it does, I recommend cutting the servings of 'regular' goodies down to 100 calories instead of opting for the 'diet' versions. If it's sugar that's your issue (sucrose or fructose), diabetic or pre-diabetic, then stevia, xylitol, agave nectar and honey all work well as sweeteners that don't jack up your blood sugar too much.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 AM

1 posts, read 7,422 times
Default saccharine in toothpastes

FYI - certain toothpastes now contain saccharine. I couldn't figure out why I felt sick every morning. I would get dizzy and feel like throwing up. I knew I wasn't pregnant. I already knew I was allergic to artificial sweeteners, but I didn't realize it could be in toothpaste. Now I check the ingredients in toothpaste.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:31 AM

4,755 posts, read 12,988,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshigh322 View Post
FYI - certain toothpastes now contain saccharine. I couldn't figure out why I felt sick every morning. I would get dizzy and feel like throwing up. I knew I wasn't pregnant. I already knew I was allergic to artificial sweeteners, but I didn't realize it could be in toothpaste. Now I check the ingredients in toothpaste.
Isn't that frustrating? I hate the new trend of putting artificial sweeteners in medicines. Makes it VERY difficult for those of us who are allergic to the sweeteners!

Old 06-22-2011, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 14,472 times
There are many here saying Stevia is natural... Yes the plant is... how they extract the sweetener from it is HARDLY a natural process like sugar. They don't just boil down the sap of the plant... they chlorinate it and chemically change it and process it.

I found out that I need to add this semi natural sweetener to my list today. I saw a SOBE FUJI APPLE PEAR drink right on there it said "Zero Calories - NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS" Read through the ingredient list and didn't recognize anything. So decided to take a drink and see. Odd feeling in back of throat but not nasty... a few more drinks and the head ache started... 5 hours later still have headache.

While stevia the plant is a natural thing I don't know what they did to it to cause me to have the reaction I do to Sacarin, neutrasweet, and all the other "artificial" or even the "natural" non caloric sweeteners.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:51 PM

WolfinLV -- agreed, the new granulated stevia goes through nearly the same chemical process that granulated sugar goes through. It's still considered a natural product because it is not artificially derived or altered significantly. If you have problems with granulated stevia, try a liquid stevia extract instead... if that causes problems as well, it's likely you have an allergy/sensitivity to the plant itself.

I have found that I have a mild tingle with granulated stevia and agave, but not with liquids... so maybe it's a filler that's causing the problem. In any case, I stick with liquids for home use and still avoid any commercial product that contains ANY artificial sweetener in any form (esp. ones with a list of unrecognizable ingredients a mile long).

Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 14,472 times
The Stevia I had was already in a drink not sure wheather it was a liquid or granulated it was in a sobe 0cal no artificial sweetner drink listed as Stevia Extract Reb A

Old 07-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Yep, when you buy something from a store you can't be certain exactly what's in it because they don't have to state what forms they use, and there can be additives in certain forms.

I run from store bought "diet" products. Last time I had a "no added sugar" beverage (NAS, not diet or 0-cal) from the store, I broke out in hives and got an instant migraine... artificial sweetener near the end of the list. Teach me not to check the label every time!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 7,199 times
This kind of intolerance also seems to be hereditary. My mom wound up being hospitalized after collapsing and making people think that she was on drugs. It was aspartame. The result? Brain damage and lasting memory problems.

I managed to collapse once in high school when I stupidly/unthinkingly drank half a Jolt a friend gave me. I started getting a headache and threw away the rest. What followed was dizziness, tunnel vision, nausea, blindness, light sensitivity, insanely bad migrane, shakes. I was rolled out in a wheel chair because I couldn’t stand/see/think and taken to the ER. I was fourteen at the time and to this day my hands are still shaky. As an artist this has made it difficult for me, but I've worked on the shakiness and have managed to adapt a bit. It takes a lot of concentration to hold my hands steady even so. I used to have extremely steady hands. No longer.

I have had reactions to a variety of artificial sugars as well as a lot of processed sugars. Migraine city. I've been looking at the ingredients in everything that I buy and make sure that nothing artificial gets slipped to me, though some of the things that have been mentioned in this thread I had not thought to check, such as the medical ones. I have had a lot of luck with Stevia though. I have been pleasantly surprised to find a number of sodas sweetened with it at Whole Foods, though I have yet to try them yet, besides one root beer (which, to a root beer connoisseur, was a somewhat disappointing example of root beer) of a different brand. The rest of them are of a brand called "Zevia" which is an obvious play off of Stevia.

I have turned to eating fruits if I want a sugary treat. Not exactly related but I count myself lucky that no matter how sick I feel I can eat fruits even if I can't manage to stomach anything else, for whatever reason. I like either eating the fruit as is, or turning it into a sorbet using a combination of sugar and stevia. The sugar tends to alleviate the stevia aftertaste. For those who wish to avoid it, I think that I should mention that THE AFTERTASTE CAN BE MASKED by this combination, so that even tasting for it does not necessarily reveal its presence.

Once I went into anaphylaxis and while I am unsure of what caused it to this day, I am thinking that it might have been some sort of artificial sugar because I had been sick and was completely wrung out after nearly two months of illness beforehand and whatever it was just pushed me over the edge. (It was quite the graduation. I still eye my robes with suspicion even though I recognize that it is an entirely irrational reaction.)

As for those who like gums… I’m sure it can be aggravating to go through check outs and have rows and rows and rows of gums and mints and all sorts of stuff that all have artificial sweetener junk in them. I am glad that I can still have Altoids, though it can be something of a trial to find the flavor that I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies