Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times

Advertisements

This is a long and oft-told story. I never liked diet drinks, and rarely drank them (or soda) ... so when that was all that was available on an outing, I had to drink them and could notice aftereffects every time. Headaches, impaired vision ....

If you look at the origins of aspartame as a insect poison, you'll understand it's toxicity, even in low doses. The Canadian AirForce did a major study on this sweetener, and has found it not suitable for consumption by pilots.

There's so many food products made with artificial sweeteners that we've finally discontinued eating prepared foods. We raise all of our protein ... beef, pork, lamb, poultry, and most of our vege's. We're harvesting tomatoes now and making sauces, salsa's, and tomato paste ... it's easy to do and a better tasting than the commercial stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,298 times
for me....migraine and 2 day headache with...all artificial flavoring....
phenyllaline( in diet soda)
aspartasme
maltodextran
all the color packets...pink, blue and yellow.
msg
soy
anything with soy lecitin, or soybean oil

Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times
sunsprit, i envy the lifestyle you have. i wish i had the knowledge and guts to practically grow everything i ate. good for you!!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 11,013 times
Default Allergies to artificial sweeteners

Allergies to artificial sweeteners are real. People look at me weird when I say I'm allergic to them, but I know well that my body reacts with nausea, dizziness, racing pulse and headache.

In addition to chapsticks and lip balms, also be careful with everyday items like mouthwash, toothpaste, mints such as Tic Tacs. You also have to look at over-the-counter medicine labels, particularly chewable tablets like Tums, or liquid cold medicines, especially generic brands.

Also, many dentists use fluoride rinses that are artificially sweetened. If you ever leave the dentist's office feeling like you've just ingested artificial sweeteners (that's what happened to me), that may be why. A few years ago, I was about to be given a sweetened acid reducer just prior to a surgical procedure. I could smell the sweetener before I tasted it and asked the nurse if it was artificially sweetened. She confirmed it was. They gave me something else.

As a result of these experiences, any time I am asked by medical personnel if I have any allergies, I always include my allergy to artificial sweeteners. They look at me strange until I tell them that medicines they give routinely without thinking twice often are artificially sweetened.

Glad to know there are others who have reactions to that awful stuff.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:16 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Migraines

No other reactions, but I always get a bad migraine if I ingest any quantity of artificial sweetener.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:22 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
So, stevia is a plant, it's not artificial.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:03 PM

106 posts, read 682,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTHeart View Post
Allergies to artificial sweeteners are real. People look at me weird when I say I'm allergic to them, but I know well that my body reacts with nausea, dizziness, racing pulse and headache.

In addition to chapsticks and lip balms, also be careful with everyday items like mouthwash, toothpaste, mints such as Tic Tacs. You also have to look at over-the-counter medicine labels, particularly chewable tablets like Tums, or liquid cold medicines, especially generic brands.

Also, many dentists use fluoride rinses that are artificially sweetened. If you ever leave the dentist's office feeling like you've just ingested artificial sweeteners (that's what happened to me), that may be why. A few years ago, I was about to be given a sweetened acid reducer just prior to a surgical procedure. I could smell the sweetener before I tasted it and asked the nurse if it was artificially sweetened. She confirmed it was. They gave me something else.

As a result of these experiences, any time I am asked by medical personnel if I have any allergies, I always include my allergy to artificial sweeteners. They look at me strange until I tell them that medicines they give routinely without thinking twice often are artificially sweetened.

Glad to know there are others who have reactions to that awful stuff.
Thank you so much for the info. I never thought that everyday medicines could contain artificial sweeteners. I always thought the stress of having to go to the dentist caused me to react. I too have gotten the strange looks when I tell people that I am allergic to artificial sweeteners. Just because it is not commonly known does not mean it cannot happen.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 10,960 times
Hi all,

Glad i found this forum have a wierd path that lead me here. But i get all the symptons after have regular chewing gum and stop smoking lozenges etc. Racing heart, head ache, a bit of breathlessness due to a mini panic attack. Took me a while to figure out what was causing it. The realised after chewing a bit of gum it would soon happen afterwards.

It then lead me to believe it could be the sweetners in the gum as i had similar sypmtons with other products with sweetners in.

I think i may have bought this on myslef as after quiting smokin i was chewing loads and loads of chewing gum, packets loads and think my body reacted to it after a long while of taking it.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 PM

106 posts, read 682,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugafre View Post
Hi all,

Glad i found this forum have a wierd path that lead me here. But i get all the symptons after have regular chewing gum and stop smoking lozenges etc. Racing heart, head ache, a bit of breathlessness due to a mini panic attack. Took me a while to figure out what was causing it. The realised after chewing a bit of gum it would soon happen afterwards.

It then lead me to believe it could be the sweetners in the gum as i had similar sypmtons with other products with sweetners in.

I think i may have bought this on myslef as after quiting smokin i was chewing loads and loads of chewing gum, packets loads and think my body reacted to it after a long while of taking it.
Quite possibly this would be a reaction anyone could get if they consumed a unusually large amount of artificial sweeteners. But if you don't know of the hazards then you cannot prevent it. So don't feel bad that you brought it on. Just be happy that you have possibly found the source and can take action to prevent it in the future. And congratulations on quiting smoking

Old 10-26-2008, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 10,853 times
so i do believe that i have some of the same problems as you all, but not as severe, i don't think, i've had the allergy for about 2 years, yeah kinda sucks when you're only 16 and find out about it, but it just started with like gums, mints, and tea that i was drinking and just recently i realized that it was also in all of my favorite energy drinks, and i do believe those donuts i had like 5 minutes ago, so it's not so great, although i don't have the same reactions, i just start feeling really panicky, my throat feels tingly and like it's swelling shut and i get really shaky, but taking some benadryl often help sort it out, i do believe i heard an actual term for the allergy but can't remember exactly and it's hard to spell, so any info on that would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies