Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:36 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,781,543 times

Advertisements

One reason to support Whole Foods Market is that they have banned sucralose/Splenda from their stores. I am so grateful for that because grocery shopping in most regular chain stores takes forever for me because I have to scrutinize every label for the sucralose that seems to be making its way into everything.

I went to a child's birthday party this past weekend and I was horrified to see that the hosts were serving diet drinks to the children. The diet drinks were full of sucralose/Splenda. That's not something fit to serve to children with developing brains!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 12,796 times
Default This is me!

I was diagnosed with Dermatographism by an allergist after going through the routine allergy tests which all came up negative. That was WAY too vague for me! Something in my gut was telling me, no, it's something I'm putting into my body which is causing this reaction, but what??? I was already tested for food allergies. I have recently noticed that after I chew gum I itch! I put it together and am thinking it's the artificial sweeteners! The problem is, like you say, there are artificial sweeteners in all sorts of things and might not be listed! I am cautiously optomistic about solving my mystery!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,693,503 times
I think everyone is allergic to ARTIFICIAL sweetners but not everyone outwardly shows the symptoms. They were not researched extensively for human consumption. The studies that were done showed they are very dangerous.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
So, stevia is a plant, it's not artificial.
To answer your question, yes. It gets more complicated though since major manuafacturers are starting to jump on the bandwagon.

Coke and Pepsi are now going to use a Stevia extract but no the whole plant/leaf. The plant has been used for thousands of yrs with no issues. However knowing Coke and Pepsi they will cheapen it down and find a way to make it toxic.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:17 PM

106 posts, read 680,499 times
Can anyone suggest a cold medicine that does not contain artificial sweeteners? When I get sick it is usually for just a couple of days, but this past week I have been miserable because I cannot find any medicines without the stuff. Eventhe medicines for kids contain it. I wish I knew how to start a letter campaign to get artificial sweeteners further researched. It is becoming an epidemic and the government is turning a blind eye.

Although I will share some good news. If anyone has a Kroger brand store near them and wish to have reduced calorie/reduced sugar items, Kroger has started making these items without artificial sweeteners. My sister bought some light syrup and I didnt even have to read to ingredient list. That's because right on the front label it stated "No Artificial Ingredients". Congrats to Kroger for taking consumer health into consideration, not just the bottom line.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorose View Post
Can anyone suggest a cold medicine that does not contain artificial sweeteners? When I get sick it is usually for just a couple of days, but this past week I have been miserable because I cannot find any medicines without the stuff. Eventhe medicines for kids contain it. I wish I knew how to start a letter campaign to get artificial sweeteners further researched. It is becoming an epidemic and the government is turning a blind eye.

Although I will share some good news. If anyone has a Kroger brand store near them and wish to have reduced calorie/reduced sugar items, Kroger has started making these items without artificial sweeteners. My sister bought some light syrup and I didnt even have to read to ingredient list. That's because right on the front label it stated "No Artificial Ingredients". Congrats to Kroger for taking consumer health into consideration, not just the bottom line.

Zinc and a Neti Pot will shorten a cold drastically. You can also look into UMCKA which is a natural cold remedy that does not have artificial sweeteners last time I checked.

Since I have been using a neti pot I have not had a cold in a few years.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:40 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,557,915 times
I stumbled onto this...it is not just about being allergic, aspartame is poison. It has made a lot of people very, very sick. I started a thread about this very thing in the controversies forum, but apparently it was not controversial enough to last very long...lol! Anyway, there is a good movie link that goes into great detail about the whole thing, I hope you guys watch it and warn others to stay away from these artificial sweeteners. BTW, stevia is safe, it is a plant. You can get the actual dried leaves from some health food stores and organic co-ops. Sweet Misery - A Poisoned World.avi

Old 02-28-2009, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 12,693 times
I was suffering from extreme fatigue and I went to a Chinese medicine doctor and he said that I was allergic to artificial sweeteners. I still wonder if he was right on. I drank a bunch of Diet Pepsi last night for some odd reason and today I am so lathargic that it is ridiculous. I have no other allergy "symptoms" except that I get so tired I can barely get out of bed.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 12,666 times
Default Anti-Light

I was always told to drink plenty of water but I can't stand the bland taste. Now a days there are so many flavor powders additives that I decided to give Crystal light a shot. I mean what could it hurt? I would be drinking plenty of water and they are zero calories. About a month into it I started to feel funny first it was a feeling like I was floating then I started to get headaches, I was nauseous all the time sometimes I would wake from a deep sleep barley making it to the bathroom. It got to the point where I couldn't function, I couldn't remember simple words, and I was being forgetful of simple tasks. My doctor just thought they were panic attacks and prescribed Zoloft. But it didn't stop and the doctor was convinced I was just stressed and kept upping the dose even after I started to develop heart flutters. It wasn't until I was out on a business trip that I said enough was enough I was out looking at a location when I felt really hot, then nauseous, and the landscape started to go black luckily my co-worker was there to catch me. She thought I had a heat stroke. I went to my doctor and told her I wanted tests done. I was on a heart monitor for 30 days (results normal), I had a CT scan (normal), blood tests (normal), and a neurological exam (normal). I just wanted to give up. Then one day I offered my mom one of the drinks and she declined she said artificial sweeteners gave her migraines. That is when it hit me if my mother was allergic to them then I must be too since most allergies are genetic. I ran it by my doctor and she thought it was a possibility. I stopped all artificial sweeteners in my diet and I have never felt better.

Last edited by antisweetner-MG; 03-09-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 03-27-2009, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 12,594 times
Default Allergic to artifical sweeteners - sorbitol

I foolishly ate an entire bag (only 7 or 9 per bag) of York DIET PEPPERMINT PATTIES.....didn't read the warning about how some may express sensitivity to the product - but then again, what did I know? NOW I KNOW........had to leave work early and missed a class at night and was not SOLID for at least 24 hours after consuming this product, if you know what I mean. I am most definitely allergic to SORBITOL and other things digestive tract allergens too.....garlic, onions....have upper respitory allergies too to whatever is causing my chronic rhinitis and post nasal drip.....better see an allergist!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies