Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 06:41 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Best solution for me was to live right beside the ocean in New England. Winters were horrible with bad storms and flooding, but the rest of the year was great because it was allergy-free! Nothing grew there, it was just beach sand, some beach grass, wild roses, seaweed, and a few plants in my garden (enriched with real soil.) Now I've moved inland where it is heavily forested and also infested with every type of weed imaginable. Back to allergy shots again and sinus infections and feeling horrible until the first frost comes mid to late October.

I think the best cure for allergies is to live right on the beach if you can. Not too many people are allergic to beach sand, lol. Besides, the further south you go, in general, the more variety of plants there are. North. On a beach.
Not so fast- dust and mold grow in humid climates and people are allergic to those. I am allergic to dust, so there is really no solution for me. When I lived by a beach, I had to keep the dehumidifier running to make sure it didn’t get too humid. Anywhere too dry and the dust flies up into the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 09:35 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
Living near the ocean won’t work for everyone. I had no allergies in Chicago, but after moving to coastal NC, I developed terrible allergies (mold and dust) and asthma. It keeps me inside most of the year.

I’m on medication and getting allergy shots, but not much has changed. Husband has finally agreed to consider moving further north.

To the OP, consider allergy testing for your wife. There’s no one perfect place to live to avoid allergies. It’s different for each of us. Once she knows what she’s allergic to, you can research possible moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies