Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:02 AM

20 posts, read 187,153 times

Advertisements

My wife has really bad allergies and has had bronchial irritation ever since the spring of this year. We live in Spring Hill, TN and she's never had this problem before. We went to Florida this August and all of it went away. We came back, a day later she's coughing up stuff again. It helps a little to have it really cold in the house and her coughing and bronchial conjestion is almost gone. Based on the fact that when we went to Florida and we also visited Kansas, it goes away means that TN is a bad place to live with allergies, spores and mold. We were thinking of moving next year to another place like Colorado or Montana which I've researched and seen that most people don't have a whole lot of allergies there. What is your opinion. What states are really good to live in with people and servere allergies? I've also heard that Spring Hill, TN and Memphis, TN are the worst places to live if mold, spores, and allergies are a problem. What is your opinion? We need to do something soon because I really hate seeing my wife constantly coughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,549,362 times
It has been my personal experience that whenever I move from one state to another, that my allergies go crazy until they adapt to the new place and it takes mine about 5 years to adapt.

I lived in Florida for about 6 years and they still bothered me over there. I had heard that if you get local honey from the area you live in, it helps build up resistance to that areas allergies so that is what I did for a long time. I can't swear it helped but the allergies did settle down when I did that.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:20 AM

13,783 posts, read 26,188,631 times
I have heard that Colorado is a good place and Arizona, but don't know if that's true.

Avoid Virginia, that's for sure!

Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
It has been my personal experience that whenever I move from one state to another, that my allergies go crazy until they adapt to the new place and it takes mine about 5 years to adapt.

I lived in Florida for about 6 years and they still bothered me over there. I had heard that if you get local honey from the area you live in, it helps build up resistance to that areas allergies so that is what I did for a long time. I can't swear it helped but the allergies did settle down when I did that.
Well, my wife's been eating the local honey here for 1.5 years and it hasn't helped. We've lived here about this long and it's getting pretty severe. It now seems to be turning into chronic bronchitis. When we went to Florida and Kansas, it went away so I know it's not a health issue, it's a severe reaction and Memphis and Knoxville, TN are known as the worst places to live for allergies and mold. We live in between those cities and the mold count is always high year round. We've got to make a change within the next 6-8 months or her health and immune system is going to start really paying for it. Finding a media job is also the priority. I know for me, I would have severe, not as bad as hers, but severe allergies and hack constantly in Kansas and Virginia when I lived there. I don't have a problem here in TN but she does.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I have heard that Colorado is a good place and Arizona, but don't know if that's true.

Yeah, I like AZ to but there's no snow there and I don't think she would like the heat. Cold seems to help the problem she has. When we crank the air condition up, the flym in her bronchial tubes seem to almost vanish and she stops coughing. 10 minutes after she goes outside, she hacking and coughing the whole day.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:45 AM

192 posts, read 628,718 times
I can relate! I live in fabulous VA, in a valley. Every weekend we go to our boat and things improve or go away - then, like clockwork it all comes back on the way home. My husband used to think it was in my mind but he now has allergies and knows it is actually physical. I just saw a new product on cnbc. A father invented this for his daughter. It is a gel that is applied around the nose and just below - it is supposed to trap allergans. I think it is a coricidin (sp?) product. I'm going to look for it today - I'll get back with you.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:53 AM

does it block mold to?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:58 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,175,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post

Many people have problems with allergies in AZ, you wouldn't think it but there is mold, and lots of wind storms which blow around dust.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Many people have problems with allergies in AZ, you wouldn't think it but there is mold, and lots of wind storms which blow around dust.
I never thought of that...I had just heard AZ was a good place!

Old 10-24-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews1965 View Post
I can relate! I live in fabulous VA, in a valley. Every weekend we go to our boat and things improve or go away - then, like clockwork it all comes back on the way home. My husband used to think it was in my mind but he now has allergies and knows it is actually physical. I just saw a new product on cnbc. A father invented this for his daughter. It is a gel that is applied around the nose and just below - it is supposed to trap allergans. I think it is a coricidin (sp?) product. I'm going to look for it today - I'll get back with you.
When we go to our house on the Cheaspeake Bay my allergies seems to be better. Maybe it is the salt air..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies