Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times

Advertisements

You know, I did push this doc.
And I got the distinct feeling he didn't like that.
One of my LFTs is up, the ALT. I told him I had a cholecystectomy last year, but yeah, I could still get a stone in the ducts. I have tried scanning myself, and I can't see things when I am standing.
He said I probably have a fatty liver. I do not have fatty infiltration of the liver.

I didn't want to antagonize this doctor, because there are only a few docs to go to on my plan. Like there were two endocrinologists for my diabetes.

I got all of my life insurance policies in order, in case I have a heart attack during the scope. I have seen them done, and it's not pretty when people freak out during it. Yeah, they give you something so you don't remember, but you still go through it when they are doing it.

I am more worried about heart disease (everyone, and I mean everyone in my family dies of heart or stroke) than cancer. I know no one in my family who has had colon or bowel cancer.

I am going to demand an allergy consult. Because I can guarantee you, they aren't going to find celiac disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 04:25 PM

I work in medicine and have no health insurance. Oxymoronic. Jobs in my specialty are next to gone now. Work is tight, so I am hanging onto my job.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:23 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post

Oh, and to CJMA 79, it is absolutely not true that all celiac patients are diagnosed in infancy or childhood. Sometimes, it takes years for someone to be symptomatic. depending on the degree of architechtural distortion/flattening of the villi. I've worked in GI for many years and have several patients diagnosed at much later ages - one recently in their 20's, one in her 30s and yes (honestly) one man in his 70s who presented with several year history of chrinic post prandial abd pain!
I didnt say they are diagnose during childhood, but they do have symptoms since childhood. A lot of people go until there 30's and 40's without knowing they have it. But that doesn't mean they didn't have symptoms since childbirth.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
I didnt say they are diagnose during childhood, but they do have symptoms since childhood. A lot of people go until there 30's and 40's without knowing they have it. But that doesn't mean they didn't have symptoms since childbirth.

True, and it is hard to know when you're a kid what "normal" is...sometimes, you go through a lot of life living with something, like I have, until it really gets worse and you're turning the car around to go home, or you can't leave the house.

I still don't believe I have celiac. I think it's allergy. They aren't going to find anything with me, and I have to go through all of this just to have them say I don't have it, rather than them picking up on my history.

When my daughter was small, she was tested for food allergies, and we found the dreaded peanut allergy, and she had a slight sensitivity to wheat. But of course, the doc says I don't have that...

I bet every thing comes up negative.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 AM

And since they are looking for cancer, I told them, since when is cancer responsive to sudden dietary changes like not eating wheat??

Old 07-05-2009, 04:37 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
And since they are looking for cancer, I told them, since when is cancer responsive to sudden dietary changes like not eating wheat??
What makes you think they are looking for cancer? As I mentioned in my first post, EGDs and colonoscopies are performed for a wide variety of reasons. I do understand what you meant by undergoing more simplistic tests prior to be scoped. I still think a celiac panel is an easy, non-invasive way (blood test) to at least see if any of the antibodies are elevated. You mentioned you have diabetes. Diabetes can also affect the gut - the nerve endings in the gut may be slowed or accelerated, causing various GI symptoms.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
What makes you think they are looking for cancer? As I mentioned in my first post, EGDs and colonoscopies are performed for a wide variety of reasons. I do understand what you meant by undergoing more simplistic tests prior to be scoped. I still think a celiac panel is an easy, non-invasive way (blood test) to at least see if any of the antibodies are elevated. You mentioned you have diabetes. Diabetes can also affect the gut - the nerve endings in the gut may be slowed or accelerated, causing various GI symptoms.

I have been gluten-free for awhile, so won't be a negative for celiac disease?

The gastroenterologist said the scopes are for my age, that people don't think they may have a problem, but later, they are glad they caught something earlier...this is why I think he is looking for cancer.

He did the blood work and I know it's for the immunology and all the labs for celiac.

But I won't know anything till after the scopes when I meet with him at his office for the results. They aren't going to give me lab results over the phone.

I don't know if the scopes can see neuropathy from diabetes or not. Would a biopsy show this, and does the doc have to order that kind of histology to see nerve damage?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:02 PM

Had the blood work for the celiac disease. All negative.

I had scheduled allergy testing for wheat and right before my appointment, I got a call that it's cancelled, insurance won't pay, despite my food allergies and all of them in my family.

So I called the insurance and asked why, and mentioned the scopes and biopsies next week, and I was told nothing has been approved.

Interesting. I guess I will have no diagnosis other than my own which is that I cannnot eat wheat.

I'd like to thank the insurance company for limiting my doctor, my gastroenterologist, and me.

But I am glad to find out, because I would have had all of that done, and been hit with probably $30,000 in bills for the endoscopy, colonoscopy, and the biopsies. I would have never known it wasn't approved if I hadn't made the call to the insurance company today and found out. I would have had to declare bankruptcy after those tests!

Just think...gastroenterologist, pathologist, anethesiologist, hospital, you name it.

Whew, close call!

Old 07-09-2009, 03:30 PM

I always wonder how the insurance companies can claim you don't need tests, when the doc says you do.
I know the insurance companies think the doctors just want to make money, and they do....but...how can they get a diagnosis without tests?

So I am left hanging here.

So the insurance company can say no, and it's their prerogative to do so with your health, but this is all in their favor, not mine.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I always wonder how the insurance companies can claim you don't need tests, when the doc says you do.
I know the insurance companies think the doctors just want to make money, and they do....but...how can they get a diagnosis without tests?

So I am left hanging here.

So the insurance company can say no, and it's their prerogative to do so with your health, but this is all in their favor, not mine.
Unless the doctor owns the actual company like Quest (one of the major providers for labs) he doesn't make money ordering labs(unless he is ordering x-rays and he actually has the machine).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies