Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 AM

13 posts, read 93,611 times

Advertisements

I have my cosmetology license and still do hair freelance sometimes, and anytime before using hair dye, you should check to see if you're allergic by placing a nickel sized amount of the dye on the inside part of your elbow, or behind your ear, and leave it there for 24 hours, then check and see if you've had a reaction to it, and that will tell you if you're allergic or not. Now, did we ever do this at my salon? Or any other salon for that matter? No, not once, because obviously no one is going to wait another day and go through the hassle, but if you have bad allergies or are allergic to chemicals, you should always try the patch test to see if you're allergic to the hair dye. As for the results of being allergic and having problems on your scalp from the dye, see a dermatologist, it's better to be safe then sorry. =] hope you get to feeling better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 33,973 times
Default Beware...Patch Test is not the solution!

I have had a reaction to PPD in hair dye and I have been using the same product for a year! I went black (I heard PPD is used in the darker colors). It started slowly with some itching and tender scalp. I, like others, ignored it. After a year, I started getting itchy bumps. After going to three doctors, they finally sent me to dermatology. He knew right away what it was and said he has seen a large number of people for this condition recently and was wondering if one of the companies had put PPD in their product without mentioning it. The itching is unbareable and the steroids are awful. This has been going on for about four months. I wonder how long this is going to continue!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,626,592 times
trulyhappy......This is one reason why I have walked away from hair dyes. I do have highlights in my hair, but nothing else. I had too many bad reactions to hair dyes, even to the point of feeling ill for the couple of days after I would get my hair colored. Uh uh. I am even hesitant with the highlights, but vanity won out, I must admit. Maybe some day when my hair is all silver instead of this ugly salt and pepper, maybe then I will be able to do "natural".

Old 05-05-2011, 02:24 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,617,550 times
It's not always PPD that causes a reaction. It can be any ingredient in the hair dyeing process. This is what my dermatologist told me. Since I did not know which of the ingredients I was having an allergic reaction to, I stopped coloring completely. I had been coloring my hair for over 20 years. I did not start using a different brand. I just developed an allergy over time.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 67,549 times
Unhappy reaction to Loreal Dia Demi-permanent hair color

I'm on my 9th day of being sick after this product was put on my hair. During the first 5 days I had hot flashes day and night and my scalp stung. i used aloe vera on my head and it stopped hurting. My other symptoms were nausea and weakness. Now my head has stopped hurting but the hair in front is absolutely
dead. Since this was not a permanent dye I was shocked by the result. In the past I had semi-perm dye applied in streaks through a cap. This time it was on all the hair but I asked that it be kept 1/2 inch off the scalp. it got into my system anyway.
I've been juicing and taking milk thistle, afraid of liver damage.
Any advice would be welcome.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,873,831 times
Hair dye allergies can be serious so I hope you take heed in the future and use natural products (i.e., Henna, lemon, coffee, whatever) . . .

Old 09-28-2011, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 67,549 times
About Demi-permanent DiaColor by Loreal--I'm quite sick after 7 days and my hair looks limp and dead.
Head pink and sensitive, and I feel weak and nauseated. Beware even demi-perm color!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:40 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,144,314 times
YES, and it was HORRIBLE !!

I was scratching like crazy ... I now only use Aveda hair color.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 34,864 times
Exclamation Hair dye allergy..be cautious

BE VERY CAUTIOUS OF THE SWEET AND LOW "TRICK"....IT DOES NOT HELP THOSE WHO ARE TRUELY ALLERGIC!! This is my first time posting in the forum, so HOPEFULLY I'm doing it correctly! I too am highly allergic to hair dye. I'm a natural dark brunette and started going gray in my early 20's(now 41). At first I began dying my own hair with "over the counter" dyes; I started off with almost no problems. Gradually I developed a sensitivity with itching and flaking. With in three years of dying my hair, (always darkest brown or black) I developed a full blown allergic reaction. My entire head, face and neck were covered in hives and welts. The itching was UNBARABLE! I ended up in ER and on oral steroids. Now...you'd think THAT incident would have ended my hair dying for good.....BUT NOPE, MY VANITY WAS MUCH STRONGER! OY!!! After some experiments on myself and MANY more allergic reactions which gradually became worse each time, I finally figured out ways to get the job done with minimal reaction. I discovered, that it is in fact, the dyes themselves that I'm allergic to. Bleach gives me NO reaction at all, unfortunately, I look AWEFUL WITH BLEACH blond hair! The darker the hair dye, the worse my reaction. I have found that VERY CAREFULLY foiling in ALL of my hair color, has been the ONLY way for me to safely dye my hair. I must immediately clean off any oopsies that get on my skin or scalp. Additionally, I require a double wash and EXTRA LONG RINSE IN COLD water right after. NOT FUN! This has at times taken 120 foils and 6 LONG HOURS in a stylists chair! VERY VERY VERY EXPENSIVE, as well. PLEASE BEWARE OF THE SWEET AND LOW "TRICK"....IT IS STRICTLY FOR PEOPLE WHO ONLY HAVE A SENSATIVE SCALP AND, NOT I REPEAT NOT AN ALLERGY!!!! I HAVE HAD NUMEROUS "PROFESSIONAL" STYLISTS TELL ME THEY COULD DO MY HAIR WITH OUT THE REACTION USING THE SWEET AND LOW "TRICK"!!!! BAD, BAD BAD BAD STYLIST!!!! THEY OF COURSE DID NOT GET MY BUSINESS BECAUSE THEY PROVED THEIR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE AND UNPROFESSIONALISM RIGHT THERE!! CONSUMERS BEWARE, DON'T BE FOOLED, DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND DON'T ALWAYS TRUST THE "PROFESSIONALS". ALSO....someone made an EXCELLENT point in an earlier post re: the legal ramafications of altering the hair dyes with additives, sound like a good way to lose a lawsuit agaist you!
.........WHEW.....DONE.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 32,618 times
I have had my hair bleached on most of the ends and some around my face, then a toner applied all over then rinsed out about 3 weeks ago. I have since had severe allergic reactions to things that only mildly irritated me before. I've gone to hospital 3 times with tachycardia, breathing problems and have lost almost 20 lbs in a little more than 2 weeks. I took prednisone for a couple days a little over a week ago and stopped after 3 days. The doctor had prescribed 3 20 mg doses and said I do not have to taper off. After I stopped I had severe itchiness and even more severe allergic reactions, 2 where my throat closed up briefly until I remove or moved away from the source of allergen. I have become highly allergic to sulfites, already allergic to things with sulfa- like aspirin, Advil and Benadryl caused a severe lung constriction. I have just been to allergist but so many things are wrong he doesn't really know what's wrong. I had a highly allergic reaction in his office and couldn't breath because someone walked in with perfume on, I had to run out. This is all much worse after stopping prednisone. I cut off most of the color but still have some hives and itchiness on my scalp. Should I just shave it? I fear I am in real trouble and need help now. Anyone know what to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies