U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 PM

43,012 posts, read 98,672,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acart View Post
I have had my hair bleached on most of the ends and some around my face, then a toner applied all over then rinsed out about 3 weeks ago. I have since had severe allergic reactions to things that only mildly irritated me before. I've gone to hospital 3 times with tachycardia, breathing problems and have lost almost 20 lbs in a little more than 2 weeks. I took prednisone for a couple days a little over a week ago and stopped after 3 days. The doctor had prescribed 3 20 mg doses and said I do not have to taper off. After I stopped I had severe itchiness and even more severe allergic reactions, 2 where my throat closed up briefly until I remove or moved away from the source of allergen. I have become highly allergic to sulfites, already allergic to things with sulfa- like aspirin, Advil and Benadryl caused a severe lung constriction. I have just been to allergist but so many things are wrong he doesn't really know what's wrong. I had a highly allergic reaction in his office and couldn't breath because someone walked in with perfume on, I had to run out. This is all much worse after stopping prednisone. I cut off most of the color but still have some hives and itchiness on my scalp. Should I just shave it? I fear I am in real trouble and need help now. Anyone know what to do?
Even if you shaved it, there's no guarantee that your symptoms would go away. A few years ago, I had a severe allergic reaction to something I was only exposed to once. (Glue for office carpeting at an appointment I went I had one time.) I was in the ER multiple times, received IV steroids, and was taking three different types of histamines at once. It took about 6 weeks for the hives to go away. Sometimes allergic reactions are so severe that there's no quick fix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 12:49 AM

15,737 posts, read 14,411,959 times
Sometimes no fix at all. a lot of these sensitities cant be cured once in the body.. cosmetic companies making these dyes and other cosmetics just arent regulated enough and a lot of dangerous chemicals get though to the manufacturer....I used to trust things in the shops, like baby products, thinking they were more pure and had less junk in them....not so... and more should be done to clean up these industries... if it was food there would be a big kickup.... but people in general dont see the dangers in putting things on their skin or hair.....its every bit as bad and gets ingested into the body through the skin....

Old 08-22-2014, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,288 times
I dyed my hair 2 days ago it so sore and itchy wat can I use to stop it amd becoming painfull ive tried waahing it with medicated shampoo everything

Old 12-14-2014, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,015 times
I'm currently going through the exact same thing. I used Revlon Color Stay. I normally use Clariol and I did not do an allergy test bc I never have in the 5 years I've been dying my hair. It's been going on for almost 2 weeks with no relief. I've been to a doctor but I can't receive a steroid shot because I'm highly allergic. I was given some cream and.some antibiotics. Its been over a week since I went to the doctor and nothing has really helped. Hydrocortisone, you can get it at many dollar stores, has helped a slight bit with clearing it up. Not much at all. I don't know how the stop the pain and itching. Hope you start healing fast!

Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 AM

1,646 posts, read 1,641,010 times
I just discovered this new product from Wella that is supposed to be a new formulation that is for people who are allergic to PPD, the culprit in most hair colours that causes most allergy problems. I haven't tried it yet though!
Learn more about new Wella Koleston Perfect INNOSENSE

Old 06-05-2015, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,601 times
I started having this reaction after dying my hair for almost 20 years without a reaction. It typically lasts 3-4 months, and I highly recommend washing your hair separate from your body. It will run down your back and you'll have crusty, weeping sores all over you. Also don't put heat on your scalp or anywhere else itchy. It makes it waaayyy worse. I haven't found any dye that works without this reaction; even semi-permanent dye gives me an allergic reaction. I've tried PPD free dye, ammonia free dye, temp dyes, and peroxide free dyes and they all do this to me. Bleach however does not bother me one bit. (Too bad I look awful blonde.) If your head swells or you start feeling loopy at all, please seek immediate medical attention. People can die from this. I'm not trying to scare you, but just be aware. If you find a solution please tell us, and I'll do the same.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:35 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,324,831 times
Never. And I've never done "the patch test" just threw it on up there!

Old 08-26-2015, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,805 times
I have had to go to hospital due to colouring my hair black with permanent hair dye and finding my neck and back covered in itchy hives, my ears swollen and weepy as well as a fever, a tight chest, difficulty breathing, heart pulperrtions as high blood pressure.

PPD is certainly POISEN and could have killed me.

It makes me so cross that such the UK allow this dangerous chemical to be sold.

I am now on a course of steriods and antihistamines, I really hope I recover soon.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:25 PM

15,995 posts, read 33,919,877 times
I only use PPDfree color. Currently use L'oreal healthy Look Creme Gloss. Very gentle, no ammonia, very low peroxide. It is considered "temporary" but it's pretty permanent on me. I love the stuff.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,805 times
Hi,

I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...elDQtqFS68os0G

My petition:

Ban the sale of products containing the chemical PPD (para-phenylenediamine)

We are calling for a ban on the chemical para-phenylenediamine (PPD) being used in hair dye products in the UK. Exposure to PPD can cause severe dermatitis, asthma, hives, stinging, swelling of the eyes/face, blisters or oozing of the scalp/ skin, tremors, convulsions, shortness of breath.

Mild symptoms such as rash, burning or itching can progress quickly to very severe ones requiring hospitalisation. Other European countries have banned this chemical from sale due to the risk of significant injury and death it poses to consumers. The observed adverse effects of PPD raises serious doubts in terms of its safety. We call on the government to ban the sale of products containing Para-phenylenediamine in order to achieve the highest possible degree of protection to UK consumers.

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...elDQtqFS68os0G

Thank You!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies