Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

From what little I've seen, it's an Indian pharmacy company. They advertise "the HCG diet" which is a fraudulent, dangerous scam of a diet, so I'd question the pharmacy's integrity from the get-go.

A problem with ordering prescriptions from overseas, is you have no way of knowing what's going to be in your medication, until after you've already taken it. And by then, it could be too late. What is carefully monitored in the USA, isn't necessarily monitored at all, somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Oh, I also read about an over-the-counter inhaler called Primatine Mist. Walmart is selling it for about $16. I've never used it, but it may be better than nothing.
I can understand your resistance to paying $55 for one of those new eco-friendly inhalers. I refuse to pay it. I make an annual trip to Tijuana, for dental work and other medical care and fun, and while down there I stock up on the generic inhalers at $6 a piece.

But it would be penny-wise-dollar-foolish to go to any of the Mexican border towns just to buy inhalers.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I can understand your resistance to paying $55 for one of those new eco-friendly inhalers. I refuse to pay it. I make an annual trip to Tijuana, for dental work and other medical care and fun, and while down there I stock up on the generic inhalers at $6 a piece.

But it would be penny-wise-dollar-foolish to go to any of the Mexican border towns just to buy inhalers.
How many inhalers are you allowed to bring across the border?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:25 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I've talked to border crossers, who go over there from San Diego to buy pharmacy drugs, who bring a half-dozen to a dozen back at a time. Oh the lucky San Diegoans!

It's an over-the-counter drug over there!

I also buy other medications while I'm there.

When I used to travel to Central/South America I used to bring inhalers back from there, sometimes a half-dozen or more, I never had any problems going thru Customs, never had any confiscated.

Just don't ever tell anyone you're going down there, as you'll end up with a shopping list for your friends and relatives. At work, anytime I even mention going to Tijuana, they all come forward: While you're down there, would you buy me this or that? I don't do that anymore!

And don't be scared away by the reported fact you need a passport now to enter/exit Mexico. That's unenforceable. I asked a customs officer, last Fall, when I was down there, what would happen if I didn't have my passport along. He laughed, slapped his wrist. I got the message!

Last edited by tijlover; 07-20-2011 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Edit, add line

Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Oh, I also read about an over-the-counter inhaler called Primatine Mist. Walmart is selling it for about $16. I've never used it, but it may be better than nothing.
Primatine Mist is epinephrine and it does work. One of my friends uses it when he's run out of his prescription inhaler. He has trouble sleeping when he's used it though.

I know you were looking for a natural treatment, but if you're not opposed to the idea of an affordable, OTC medicine, I've been taking 12-hour generic sudafed (not the new kind, but the one behind the pharmacy counter) for years now, and almost never need to use my rescue inhaler when I'm taking the sudafed. If I run out for a few days, I'll start getting a little wheezy, especially around my pets, and occasionally need the inhaler, especially when I'm exercising.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:59 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Primatene actually works quite well. I used to have really bad problems with asthma, and they went away when my cat died. I never replaced her and no more breathing problems. I also avoid visiting anyone with a cat, esp if it's overnight.

I have a story about primatene though. Back when my problems were so bad, I was using Alupent from the pharmacy. Sorry, don't know if they even use that anymore. But my body got addicted to it and I got so I had to use it every 10 minutes and had to make sure I slipped it in my pocket when I went on lunch break--it was even waking me up at night. Friends were noticing and making comments and the doc was acting like I was abusing it. Finally it got so bad that I ran out before the end of the month and before my new scrip, so I got up in the middle of the night and went and bought a primatene inhaler, and not only did it work, but I was able to sleep the rest of the night and used it once more in the morning and then my addiction was broken and I've maybe only used an inhaler 5x since then, though that was over 20 years ago and before my cat died.

The indians used to smoke mullein weed for shortness of breath, but I've never tried that. I love the idea of the frankincense and it almost makes me wish that I had more problems so I could try it, lol.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:59 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Quote:
What is carefully monitored in the USA, isn't necessarily monitored at all, somewhere else
Do you mean 'controlled' rather than monitored? I think we tend to forget that the rest of the world survives without some/most of the monitoring which goes on by the medical establishment in the developed countries.

I think it is excellent that there is still natural remedy wisdom around to be used. If the drugs companies had their way, all natural remedies would be outlawed because they do not generate much profit. In the old days we used to have clinics which advocated fasting and other clinics that advocated steam baths and mud packs etc. These did help a lot of people but everyone has forgotten or been brainwashed into thinking that as soon as something goes wrong with our bodies we need to rush off to see a doctor.

Anyway... I have found that giving up mucous-producing foods like dairy and orange juice etc helps asthma enormously and as soon as I start to have yoghurt again, I can immediately tell that my asthma is worse due to the mucous and wheezing in my lungs. A good body clear-out seems to help as well.

Not forgetting that much of asthma is psychological anyway. My uncle use to have an asthma attack just by watching grass blowing in the wind on TV. I used to have attacks which were due to control-related issues. As someone said, it is often things which trigger emotional issues in us which bring on an asthma attack.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Not forgetting that much of asthma is psychological anyway. My uncle use to have an asthma attack just by watching grass blowing in the wind on TV. I used to have attacks which were due to control-related issues. As someone said, it is often things which trigger emotional issues in us which bring on an asthma attack.
I think that's true b/c I noticed back when I had problems that when I got to sleep and then woke up, I was breathing quite well, but then it would kick in again after being awake awhile.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
There are purportedly many herbs than can help asthma . . .grindelia, sundew, coltsfoot, wild lettuce, chamomile, skullcap, hops, limeflowers, borage, etc., etc.

Educate yourself (lots of resources . . .good books, etc.) . . . speak to a doctor who is also holistically educated . . . there are some, you just have to look for them.

I would imagine acupuncturists could suggest Chinese herbs, as well.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
There are purportedly many herbs than can help asthma . . .grindelia, sundew, coltsfoot, wild lettuce, chamomile, skullcap, hops, limeflowers, borage, etc., etc.

Educate yourself (lots of resources . . .good books, etc.) . . . speak to a doctor who is also holistically educated . . . there are some, you just have to look for them.

I would imagine acupuncturists could suggest Chinese herbs, as well.
Thanks. I will look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine